[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain some terms and scenarios of how works in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 54638.png (882KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
54638.png
882KB, 1280x720px
Can someone explain some terms and scenarios of how works in the US? I understand if you don't want to explain this stuff to a ignorant dummy, so feel free to skip this thread. To anyone who does, thanks. I'm a Junior Business student who's come to enjoy school and thinking about a Doctorate.

>Why not ask your counselor?
He's kinda shitty and hard to get ahold of. I just send an email to my school asking for a different one.

So an associates is 2, Bachelor's 4, Master's 6, Doctorate 8, generally, though it's actually dependent on credits, not years. Also some degrees such as social work has Master's switched with Doctorates. So a Bachelor's is 2 years of common core classes that don't necessarily pertain to your major, like science, math, social studies, etc, right? And so you only study subjects that do pertain to your major if you're going for a Master's or Bachelor's?

What if I get a Bachelor's in Business but then want another education in Journalism? Do I skip those core classes? If so, do I get a Bachelor's in Journalism in only 2 years instead of 4? Can I get a Doctorate in Journalism in only 4 years if I already studied core classes in another field and for another degree?

What are certificates and what value do they hold? Are they just for specialized applications like a computer language or security work typically? Like if I'm a business student, I should get a certificate in marketing to boost my resume if I'm interested in a marketing position? Do certificates expire?
>>
Sorry about my English.
>>
>>17871250
this is a gross oversimplification
>2 years for an associate's
>4 for a bachelor's
>6 for a master's
>8 for PhD
this obviously doesn't account for fucking up a semester, your uni switching curriculum mid-study (this happened to me, i'm caught in a sea of waivers and substitutions), CLEP'ing, or doing overload semesters. you can get about 3-4 semesters of gen-ed classes before you need to get course-related classes in your schedule, and some schools have you do both simultaneously.

certificates are a mixed bag. for some careers, that's all you can get for a grad school credentials, and some are not worth the paper they're printed on
>>
>>17871264
Thanks!

What about getting degrees in other majors? That seems the most convoluted and confusing for me.
>>
>>17871250
In the US system, the basic college education is a 4-year BA (or sometimes BS). As you say, it's measured in credits and some people take more than 4 years. You come out as a typical college grad who majored in something, and that's where most people stop.

Unlike the British system, where you study ONLY your field, the American is designed to make everyone at least a little educated in everything. So there are requirements like so many credits in science, some in humanities, etc. Most people try to get through them quickly, so the first few semesters are likely to be them. Meanwhile, most majors require no more than about 1/3 of your total hours, so there is room for electives.

Community Colleges serve multiple functions, from one-class drop-ins to full-time students. The latter take a 2 year program leading to the AA degree, which is a trimmed down version of the 4 year programs (some general, some major field). Some people stop there, some transfer to a 4 year school with most of their credits meeting the 4 year school's requirements.

Postgraduate work - the MA and PhD are increasingly specialized study in the major field, and even in some small part of the major field. In theory most MAs can be done in a year, though they usually take longer; in theory PhDs can be done in another year, though they almost always take longer, because a lot of independent research or writing is required.

The postgraduate degrees are entered into separately - that is, you apply to a uni and are accepted for the BA program. Then you have to apply and be accepted again for the MA or PhD. Most people who do graduate work do it in the same field they majored in as undergrads, but it is possible to switch. So, to use your example, you could get a BA with a major in business and then apply to a MA program in journalism.
>>
>>17871281
That clears up a lot, thanks!

You covered switching, but what if you get a doctorate in something, but want a second bachelor's or doctorate in something else? How many credits/years generally? I don't do the common classes correct?
>>
>>17871294
By the time you get a PhD you are likely to be in your late 20s at least, and will have devoted 1/3 of your life to this direction of study. It is not likely that you will want to start all over from the beginning, but if you do you will probably start at the post-BA point, applying to a different MA program.
>>
>>17871306
So I could just go straight for a Master's in another field if I chose to after I graduate?

I can apply for a master's in biology if I only have bachelor's in hospitality?
>>
>>17871320
Not that guy, but it depends on the school and the subject. For most STEM subjects grad schools will not accept someone who doesn't have the requisite background. If you do get accepted the odds are very high that you will be required to take certain low level classes before you're allowed to continue on.
>>
>>17871345
What classes might I be required to take? So I could get a bachelor's in sociology for example, after getting a doctorate. I'd skip the core classes that weren't relevant to my major but I'd take intro classes of my sociology major?
Is that right?
>>
>>17871387
I have no idea, it depends on the major and the school. I am not in a field even slightly related to sociology. Core classes are the ones directly related to your major and those are most likely the ones you'll have to take. You won't have to take any gen eds. I highly doubt you'll want to go back to school after getting your PhD though, if you even make it that far.
>>
>>17871447
So can you get 2 bachelor's in 6 years?
>>
>>17871483
Sure. It's called double majoring and people do it all the time.
>>
>>17871512
I mean not by taking two majors at the same time. It might be dumb for whatever reason, but can I get a bachelor's in business within 4 years, then go for a bachelor's in journalism by another 2 years or would that be an associate's in Journalism?

Reading online, it sounds like this is sometimes a thing people do, and some schools accommodate it and some don't.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.