[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I may have autism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: star-trek-data.jpg (126KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-data.jpg
126KB, 900x668px
My friend made it out that I may have autism. Her friend has a child with autism and says that I act and do things just like her child. I took a test online to see thinking that it couldn't be possible but it says that I scored 40 out of 40 and I'm crying right now. No one has ever told me that I have autism. I know that I have adhd and social anxiety. I tend to get really attached to fictional characters or tv shows and games. I hate being pulled away or talked too when I'm focusing on something. I get really angry and upset when I have to go to work and stop watching my show or playing my game. I managed to get married and have a very healthy long relationship with really great sex, we are very happy. But in the other hand I only have maybe two friends in my life and I don't socialize well or understand other people. If I really do have autism, I'm angry at my parents for hiding it from me and not helping me understand it or deal with it. I'm angry for my mother getting mad at me and disowning me and not understanding me. I've been suicidal many times because of my parents. I know they are not worth it but I still feel depressed and angry.
>>
>>17868632

you probably dont have autism.

a lot of online tests are like this
>do you think you have autism
>WOW YOU GOT A HIGH AUTISM SCORE.

most tests are not subtle at all. the questions are leading. you can look at most questions and know which one is the autistic answer.

your parents didnt hide it from you, especially if they made you aware of your ADHD. the fact that oyu got a REAL diagnosis for ADHD and not autism kinda proves you DONT have autism, cuz the doctor would have spotted it easy.

you dont ahve autism. you're just not a complete normie stereotype.

and you made it through life so far without any inkling of it, so its clearly not something hindering your life to any real degree.
>>
>>17868632
How old are you? It's extremely rare for someone older than about 16 to have been diagnosed, because autism wasn't as solidified back when ADD/HD was. Even if you really are autistic (see: self-diagnosing and online tests are bullshit for every single thing), yu're probably not too high up on the scale. Nobody likes to stop what they're doing to go to work, be hit up by someone while doing something else, and everyone like chars in shit (that's the reason why anyone even watched a show).
>>
>>17868665
I'm 25, I'm not sure what the test were like in the 90's they asked me questions while I played with toys or something like that. My physically and emotionally abusive mom was concerned why I wet the bed and had problems in school, so she got me tested for adhd. It may be just some bullshit my friend got put in my head that I'm just stewing over right now. I'm just kind of afraid because I have a lot of the same traits and quirks as autism.
>>
What the fuck makes you think they hid it? I was later diagnosed with aspergers before it was thrown into the spectrum, and my parents just thought I had weird hangups. If you're maintaining a job & healthy relationship you're at least high functioning too.

Its a fucking online quiz. I've taken them and my results vary wildly, it's nothing to take that seriously. See an actual professional if you actually want to know. Either way you've developed coping mechanisms so what's the difference you have it officially or not anyways? Nothing will actually change.
>>
>>17868684
Yeah, autism wasn't really something you would have been diagnosed with at the prime age for diagnosis because it wasn't common knowledge even within the medical circles.

Nevertheless, I'm 23 and online tests say I'm autistic. I don't care enough to get tested though, because my life has been fine even if I actually am autistic (which I doubt). The same for you, some label on you isn't going to change you any.
>>
>>17868717
You're right, still I think the solution would be to go back to therapy. I'm close to being able to get back on medication for my adhd and the holidays have hindered my appointments, I'm a retail slave. I'll let them know that I asked other people and make sure that I am properly tested by a professional.
>>
>>17868717
There were plenty of tests in the early 90s. My sister is autistic and was diagnosed in 1994.
>>
>>17868733
I only know one person diagnosed in the 90s. The others were recently diagnosed (see: as adults). She must have had a really competent doctor, that or all the ones here are incompetent.
>>
>>17868717
>Yeah, autism wasn't really something you would have been diagnosed with at the prime age for diagnosis because it wasn't common knowledge even within the medical circles.
No but there's a decent chance you would have been diagnosed with aspergers, with was later merged into the autistic spectrum.
>>
>>17868632
Depressed and angry? Why the fuck for? You have a long-term healthy relationship with a wife and a couple good friends. You are functioning and productive. Stop feeling sorry for yourself because some 'quirks'. It makes you unique.

You say you have ADHD but I think you have a sort of "hyper-vigilance". You notice things that other people don't, you are very focussed on the task at hand and are probably very technically adept at something. When you know something, you really know something. The world needs people like that for certain positions.

As for social anxiety, you can work on that. Being social is also a learned behaviour. Growing up you missed a lot of those skills because you were focussed on other things. Groups like Toastmasters will help you speak socially and even in front of crowds. There are clubs and groups you can join to socialize and enjoy. Even 'nerdy' fandom clubs are okay if you also spread your interests to other things too.

Think of it as a set of assignments to learn specific skill-sets. Even regularly walking a dog and meeting other dog-owners would help.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.