[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parent problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Star_0d2520_6119152.jpg (25KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Star_0d2520_6119152.jpg
25KB, 600x400px
This year, I got a decent job that I like, that I have a future in, rather than a McJob...and they are teaching me skills I can carry to other jobs should I need to leave. I had quite a bit saved up (5 grand), and I bought a $10,000 house the next town over (fixer upper. 4 bed, 2 bath, 3 car garage, only 5 minutes from work rather than 20 minutes where I am renting, built in 1928)....and my mom is saying I should not have bought it. Now she won't talk to me, won't return my calls or answer the door when I come over citing that I must hate her for buying the house.

How can I convince her otherwise?
>>
>>17867004
your mom is probably salty that her bby is growing up.
just stay determined, fix it up, and prove her wrong.
she'll come around. you're her son after all.
>>
>>17867004
Your mom is probably just mad that you bought something she thinks is financially stupid. Just keep the house maintained and fix it up. Dont rub it in her face that she was wrong and she'll come back.

If she denounces you then she might be a narcissist. But I seriously doubt that's the case
>>
>>17867011
I've already started fixing it. I spent all day doing plaster work. I feel this was a good purchase. I'll only have 3 utilities to pay aside from garbage pickup. It's already a nice house despite the issues.

I'd just like her to see it my way
>>
Please tell me $10,000 was a typo and you meant $100,000. And if it's not a typo, where the fuck can I get a $10,000 house?
>>
>>17867039
Wasn't a typo. The house cost 10 grand because its in a state of disrepair.
>>
It's 2 am and mom decided to call me just to say I made a bad choice and she won't be there to help me when I fail.
>>
>>17867039
go to your local town hall
ask for a list of foreclosed houses
foreclosed houses are owned by the bank
banks give cheap house prices
you're welcome
>>
>>17867171
you're mom's a cunt wtf.
tell her she needs to be more supportive because it's your life.
>>
>>17867179
Its been 3 weeks since I bought it, and she hasn't changed
>>
are you from some weird gook honor culture or something?

10k for a house? your mom gets mad because you bought something? wtf? whole story sounds bizarre
>>
Ignore her and show her that you can be independent and she will come to heel

She's trying to pull you back to the nest because she's a bit of a nutcase but that is how women are, whatever.
>>
what your mom is doing is called "emotional rape of a child" withholding affection in an attempt to modify your behavior, etc. google it...

http://eqi.org/eam1.htm
>>
>>17867234
I've been on my own for a few years now. When I got this job, my landlord hiked my rent to well over 700 a month plus utilities, so I spent a few months looking around, found the house and went into negotiations to buy it.
>>
ignore your mum for a little while. she wants attention, and will behave badly to get it, until she sees that you stopped giving it to her.
when she finally comes around, tell her that several people have commented on what a fine job you're doing fixing the house, and that one of them offered $15k already, but you know it will be worth even more as you get it fixed up.

if that doesn't do it, tell her "you should be proud of me" and walk away. let that sink in for a while. get a room in the house fixed up and livable so you can move in, and quit throwing money away on stupid rent
>>
File: IS2zbjiez3q5rp0000000000.jpg (36KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
IS2zbjiez3q5rp0000000000.jpg
36KB, 540x720px
>>17867281
Taking a break from fixing the floor in the downstairs bathroom.

She's starting to call. I answered a little bit ago and just said, if you want to talk to me face to face, you know where I am. and hung up.
>>
>>17867004
>I bought a $10,000 house the next town over (fixer upper. 4 bed, 2 bath, 3 car garage
Is that a typo, or did you legitimately buy a house for ten thousand dollars?
>>
>>17868504
see
>>17867046
and
>>17867177
>>
Your mom is being insecure to think that you got that house because you didn't like her.

All she has to do to get over this is be educated on what insecure thoughts and how to recognize them as illogical and most likely never true when they happen and she'll never get insecure again over anything
>>
Good luck anon, we are proud of you.
>>
>>17868470
Nigga you realize it's gonna take many times what you paid for the house to fix it up right?
>>
>>17868555
Not that much, the floor is only a sheet of 1/2 thick plywood. But I also need a new toilet flange and a new toilet. I took left over material from the floor, and started assembling the new vanity. The toilet I got from Habitat for Humanity for less than $40. The rest isn't bad. Just crumbling plaster.
>>
>>17868628
Be sure to do all this with permits man, I've learned my lesson on that you don't want half your house to be illegally done. Granted I can't tell from one picture of a bathroom but if you do it all yourself it'll definitely help on costs but make sure to be aware of code and permits.
>>
>>17868666
I already have a list of codes and shit. Since I am not doing any add-ons, don't need a permit. Just doing floor stuff and plaster. The wiring looks like it was redone, so it's not knob and tube and I have a breaker rather than a fuse box
>>
>>17867004
>$10,000 dollar house
are you in fucking africa or something?
>>
>>17868751
No, Michigan...so may as well be third world. Foreclosed houses often sell for dirt cheap, especially at auction and in the winter.
>>
>>17868751
not op, but look around. i got my house for 30, have been fixing it slowly for a year or so. there are plenty of properties that are going for dirt cheap for various reasons. if you have the skills to fix it (or friends that are willing to help or work for you on the cheap) it can be a very wise investment.

>>17867004
your mother is off her rocker. youve done well in my opinion. in a few years time, your 10k investment could make you a five figure profit. this is the smartest move you could have made. renting is for fools and people who only intend to live in a particular location for a short time.
>>
>>17868832

>your 10k investment could make you a five figure profit

Depends on location, state of the economy, urban center pop increase/drop, etc.

He is now paying more for heating and property taxes.

Also, if piping is fucked or the main support beams are rotting, it's gg.

But yea, overall, I am not sure what OP's mom's issue is.
>>
>>17868845

Also, on this - I got quoted $20,000 for new windows. Windows can be $200-300 a piece if you do the work yourself. Deck door is like $700 min, etc. The scariest part is that being all a waste if there is a problem with foundation or overall construction.
>>
>>17868845
I checked all that on auction day. The water lines are less than a decade old, and the heating ducts seem good. Of course, I don't have any utilities on at the moment, not living there yet, just doing work with a couple Kerosene heaters to keep me warm and a small generator in the garage to run some power tools (Miter saw, circular saw, and charging some drill batteries). I likely won't be moving in till spring or till I feel it's good enough, basically when I feel like I won't be falling through the floor. Like I mentioned before, the issues are largely cosmetic.

I have no water bill or sewer bill because I have a septic tank and a well..but there is a propane tank on the property, ugh.
>>
>>17868845
It also depends how old the house is and how it's built. A lot of newer buildings are made from crappy materials like fiber board.
>>
>>17868869
The windows are fine, just gotta seal them. Weather stripping and all that.
>>
>>17868901
Built in 1928, but some renovations happened it seems in the early 90s
>>
>>17868897
>>17868901
>>17868905
>>17868915

Cool.
>>
Ur mum is a cunt, but if that house is in Detroit you're never gonna be able to sell it.
>>
>>17869105
I am a few miles from Ohio and Indiana actually, so no where near detroit. I am out in the country.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.