[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SSRI Side Effects / Relationships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: imagrgees.jpg (2KB, 91x91px)
imagrgees.jpg
2KB, 91x91px
So I had a mental breakdown earlier this year, ended up being put on SSRIs and into therapy. Tbh the combo has done a world of good for me, and I'm at a better place than I've been in years because of them right now.

Just one thing is on my mind though – my desire for sex, and indeed, any romantic or sexual contact, has sort of disappeared since. I noticed it diminishing in the first few weeks of medication, and since it's just entirely dropped off. I realise that my previous hypersexuality and compulsive relationship-seeking was a way to deal with my depression before I sought treatment, but now it's just swung completely the other way. I barely have the ability to feel attracted to anyone any more, let alone bother building a relationship or taking my clothes off. Even when people pursue me, I'm just not intersted.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a problem per se. It's just a little disconcerting for me. Is this normal? I'm starting to suspect that my libido loss mightn't be because of the medication in of itself; that rather, this is my baseline libido, and everything else was my way of dealing with depression. It's just so odd to watch myself behaving in ways that are foreign to me.
>>
>>17866849
>>17866849
Your medication has revealed you are actually a fag.
>>
>>17866849
I JUST got prescribed SSRI's but haven;t been taking them because the side effects is that it destroys your sex drive and can actually make you impotent/not able to cum. I don't know if i should take them or if they'll fuck me up worse than I am.
>>
>>17866849
I've been taking SSRIs for a while now and it's done literally nothing. I don't even feel happier.
>>
>>17867024
>>17867069
Thing is, aside from the weird stoned feeling they gave me the first month or so, they're actually working for me. I'm way less suicidal, I don't get upset over things any more, I can get up, go to work, and hold down a job again.

I'm just weirded out by the fact I don't want anyone close to me when it was all I used to crave.
>>
>>17867515
I'm in the same position as you OP. Been on them for about a year, and the did significantly drop my sex drive. However, when it came to getting intimate with my girlfriend, it came back to me at the time
>>
>>17866849
So there are two things : first, SSRI's do strongly affect your libido while you're taking them. That's an incredibly common side effect so don't worry too much about it being normal or not.
The second thing is that libido and the need for physical and affective intimacy w/ someone is something complex. Basically the more you'll be around people and have sex with them, the more you'll be craving for this intimacy. Especially while taking ad because it diminishes anxiety and therefore your need to be comforted by someone and get affection.

tl;dr : yes that's like 300% normal you really shouldn't worry and your therapist will probably agree.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.