[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, are there any fulfilling and well paying jobs that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: STEM-logo.jpg (274KB, 1297x736px) Image search: [Google]
STEM-logo.jpg
274KB, 1297x736px
Hey guys, are there any fulfilling and well paying jobs that aren't in a STEM field? It's not that I don't appreciate STEM, but I've always had trouble with subjects in that field, and to be honest it isn't my greatest interest and I don't want to force myself into a STEM job that I won't enjoy just because it's the "only respectable field"
>>
>>17860781

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

> but I've always had trouble with subjects in that field,

What, as opposed to filler classes?

> it isn't my greatest interest

What's your greatest interest?

>I don't want to force myself into a STEM job that I won't enjoy just because it's the "only respectable field"

You will enjoy it more than McDonalds or a call center.
>>
>fulfilling
Yes.
>and well paying
No.
>I don't want to force myself into a STEM job that I won't enjoy just because it's the "only respectable field"
Then do it for the "United States Dollars".
>>
>>17860781
I'm having a pretty good amount of fun as a security analyst. not really a STEM field but kind of because it's computer systems.
>>
>>17860898

You nigga, lets say you can't sit on my wifi, how you gonna get dem packets?
>>
>>17860781
Just go regular business and get some shit managerial job
>>
Skilled Labor
>>
>>17860781
Virtually every job. The problem there is not a great market, and you will only succeed if you are very good, or produce something that people really want.
For example, I know a few writers, and they are either loaded or completely broke.

If it helps you, I studied philosophy in college, then followed with a master in cognitive sciences. Cog Sci is interdisciplinar, so all the problems in the philosophy of mind are related, but since it is interdisciplinar you do have to learn some S+T+E+M, but I think at this point you will be alright in doing so if it suits your interests.
>>
>>17860954
Most cities are overpopulated by people seeking apprenticeships

CS is as about as close to old school "skilled labour" as you can get now
>>
>>17860959
>Most cities are overpopulated by people seeking ___________

You can fill that blank in any way you want. Every field is hypercompetitive and shit isn't getting any better for our generation, people just need to pick something and go with it.
>>
>>17860969
Yeah, but there are a lot more programmers than plumbers now
>>
File: shit.png (45KB, 1138x380px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
45KB, 1138x380px
>>17860973

Looks like you are wrong.
>>
>>17860985
Huh.

328,000 feels incredibly small
I mean, in my tiny city, there's at least a 1000 video game programmers
>>
>>17860987

Who knows, it might collapse (programming). Being a plumber sucks though. It definitely beats being an unskilled employee, but there is no transition to real positions from there in most cases.
>>
>>17860996
>transition from plumber to "real position"
The fuck's that mean, bud?
>>
>>17860997

It means that when you are plumber, you don't learn how to deal with execs and be a good office chimp, so you are closed off from transitioning into management positions.

It also means you don't use your head.
>>
>>17861000
You're not too bright, eh?
>>
>>17861009

>ib4 a lecture about the value of hard work, etc
>ib4 kids partying through college and not knowing anything, etc

I threw you the bone you wanted - I admitted that being a skilled laborer isn't half bad these days, simmer down.

If you want to tell me how knowing pipe sizes and brands of sink erators transitions to middle management work and up, please do.

Hard-mode: Don't say "neither does lower management" - we know.
>>
>>17861014
I'm saying you're as dumb as a box of hammers if you think the goal of a plumber is to become a managerial type
Plumbing and other skilled labourers don't exactly have a fucking corporate structure
You don't go from plumber to middle management to executive

You go from apprentice to plumber, electrician, whatever, and you do that till you die
That's the career arc

Trying to add cubical farm bullshit to the mix makes you sound totally ignorant, bud
>>
>>17861029

>You go from apprentice to plumber, electrician, whatever, and you do that till you die
>and you do that till you die
>and you make $100,000 if you are lucky till you die (or your health fails)

The last part is why it's shit.
>>
>>17861034
Wow you're conceited
>namefag
My fault. Of course.
Filtered
>>
>>17861042

Hey, as long as you don't disagree.
>>
>>17861034
The most ambitious people in the trades start their own business and eventually hire other people to do the hard work, but there are also people who become foremen, inspectors, and trade school instructors. And there's not necessarily a lot of competition for those positions because a lot of the guys in the trades really are knuckledraggers with no ambition or soft skills.
>>
>>17861059

That's true. Same for truck drivers and such.
>>
>>17860781
Of course, the problem is that they're harder to get ibto since they tend to rely exclusively on networking.
>>
>>17861077
Sort of, I guess. Trucking is different because it isn't a registered trade. The driver's will always be considered the unskilled help.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.