[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boyfriend doesn't want me seeking treatment for ADHD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: geDFYASG.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
geDFYASG.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
Hey /adv/, I figured you guys were the most relevant board for my question.
My boyfriend is against me seeking treatment for my ADHD despite me having been formally diagnosed a few times throughout my life.
I never received any treatment however, as my parents saw it as some medical shill and overall a meme.
He said to me when we were talking about it "I don't want to be with someone who is taking pills" and said "people who take pills don't think straight."
He expressed more opinions against it and a personal account of a friend of his who took pills, but at 23 I feel I am long overdue for treatment.
My question to you guys is, how should I even approach what he said? I want treatment, and how he worded what he said, it seems he threatened to leave me if I do so.
I'm really at a loss /adv/, I seriously don't know what to do.
I don't want to lose him at the cost of receiving help for what I have, I'm seriously scared of losing him and being alone again, but I'm also very tired of going through life like this.
>>
ADHD is a made up illness.

Most likely you're drinking mountain dew too much and are sensitive to the food dyes, which have been proven multiple times to cause adhd type symptoms.

Could also be iodine deficiency, lack of sleep, could be a million things.

Don't get ADHD pills, your bf is right. I took 20 MG adderall today for work and it was great, but the comedown was hell. I wasn't being myself or thinking straight. I would get hyped about something then fives seconds later hear a voice in my head saying "noooope, don't do that. bad idea."

ADHD pills are legal speed (amphetamine) and should be avoided. Doctor's prescribe them for daily use which is retarded. if you take ADHD meds you should only take it once a week, and most cases 25% of the prescribed dose.

I'm guessing it's your diet. Maybe you have a gluten intolerance or are consuming too many artificial colors.
>>
(((formally diagnosed)))
>>
>>17854565
My diet consists of a healthy balance of usually skinless, boneless chicken breast, salmon with the skin, and various vegetables, and I always cook with salt that has iodine because of the benefits of iodine consumption.
For sugar I usually just consume some honey or eat fruit here and there, and I get an adequate amount of sun exposure and drink milk every so often.
I also take a multivitamin once daily.
My diet if anything is perfect for anyone trying to live a healthy lifestyle, and I regularly walk 4-5 miles a day, with some days reaching 8-10 miles on particularly warmer days.
I do respect that you took the time to respond rather thoroughly to me, but I don't believe my diet to be a contributing factor to my diagnosis.
Is there any other information you would be able to provide, such as possible causes, etc?
And in regards to my question, how do I approach my boyfriend on this subject?
I would really appreciate more help anon, anything is appreciated.
>>
>>17854565
Was right about adhd treatment being pretty much just corporate street drugs

My gf started told me she was going to take adderall after she was diagnosed
and she couldn't eat, started clenching her teeth a lot and generally made her a bit more moody
I was totally supportive in her at least trying it if she thought it would help but I also told her that she should be careful about it and that I thought she didn't need them. I think that's what a good partner does in these situations. Your be just seems a bit ignorant and extreme in his views for one reason or another but I wouldn't fault him for it, it is a controversial subject.

I say you approach him and talk to him about how you feel in detail, saying that you want to give it a try just to see if it will help and ask if he could support you during this and that if he really feels like you've changed as a person for the worse you'll stop taking them
>>
>>17854595
you need a new "bf" because that clown does not give a shit about you or your health

dump him like the rock he is

and get treated for your health problems

please
>>
File: 1443419722795.png (2MB, 986x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1443419722795.png
2MB, 986x1000px
>>17854672
Thanks a lot anon, that advice really helps me a lot.
He does have a few conservative views about things due to his upbringing, so I'll see if he'll support me on this because he really does love me, he's just trying his hardest to protect me, so I think he might not want me having anything to do with something potentially dangerous to my being.
I'll definitely bring up what you recommended in requesting he support me and promising to stop the pills if they're negative for me, if I receive them.
Again, thank you so much anon, I wouldn't of really known what to do except going behind his back on this, which would be the last thing I would want to do in this situation.
>>
Let your brain be, cognition is important and those pills will change your chemistry.

I feel your boyfriend, i'd dump you two if i fell in love with a wacky crazy funny girl, and now she is monotone med-out druggy
>>
>>17854728
>I wouldn't of really known what to do except going behind his back on this, which would be the last thing I would want to do in this situation.

That was my initial thought of what you had in mind, as I would think the same

I'm glad I could help and I hope it all works out well
>>
>>17854549
You're a fucking adult. Do what you think is right for you. He's probably got his own insecurities about you improving and leaving him or something stupid inside his own head.
>>
>>17854549
ADHD is real, but varies in severity. It's largely genetic. Often caused by particular alleles or mutations of the genes coding for the dopamine transporter protein and related components.

Medication is the only known effective treatment. Therapy and coaching have minimal benefits, aside from just helping ensure you keep your life organized which is definitely important. They can't help you focus better. Only proper sleep, diet, meditation, and if severe enough, medication, can do that.

Take the lowest effective dose. Skip weekends. Ritalin/Concerta/etc is generally less side-effect-prone than Dexedrine/Vyvanse, which in turn are less rough than Adderall. There are also a few non-stimulant medications that mostly don't work as well but still help some people. Even Wellbutrin has some mild benefit, due to the mechanism of its action.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.