[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is software engineering a good major?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1481064533286.jpg (3KB, 160x128px) Image search: [Google]
1481064533286.jpg
3KB, 160x128px
Is software engineering a good major?
>>
>>17854545
it's a great major if you like programming & are good at it

otherwise it sucks
>>
its an amazing field to work in for the dosh, in the united states that is.

just be ready to live a life of programming from the moment your tippy typers touch the typer. it will be your profession for the next 30-40 years. choose wisely

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/Computer-and-Information-Technology/Software-developers.htm
>>
>>17854682
>>17854671
I like to code, and I self taugh myself to code java and C#.

wonder how good is the money.

I wanted to do game programming but then I realized is a shit field.

what other programming fields are that are easy or don't ask so many hours per week?
>>
>>17854689
you can always choose to work less hours in any profession. However this means that you have to balance how much money you like to have. and the amount of free time you think is work your time.

personally im paid 30ish an hour i could of chosen to just have it as that. however when i am in my free time i see it as time wasted, 2 hours of netflix gone. i could have made enough money to purchase a 60 buck game or something.

but i just mean to say. i dont think the profession will determine your hours. just say how much you want.
>>
>>17854689
programming pays very well

if you have the talent & skills you can make serious $$ at bigger companies but you will have to get promoted above just coding monkey to something like - architect or lead designer etc

or if you really like just cranking code get a few years experience at some big companies then start contracting

if you start contracting too early you won't know shit & get sucked into crappy contracts and after 10 years your resume will be shit

but yes, game programming is shit because the stakes are so low

even business software programming is more rigorous than game programming

move into real time or os or database programming and that stuff is difficult and has to be exactly right, very challenging
>>
>>17854716
>you can always choose to work less hours in any profession.
Not really.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.