[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding your 1st job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: freeze.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
freeze.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
This is more of a rant than anything else, but any advice is welcome.

I recently finished my masters degree at a good University in a STEM field. I scored a decent grade and completed the degree in the minimum time period.
But damn, it's hard to find your 1st job. I never thought the process would be this slow. I've sent Hundreds of CV's now and I'm still waiting.
What can I do? My university didn't provide internships and I have no prior working experience in the field.
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>HE FELL FOR THE STEM MEME
>>
>>17852666
>666

You never tricked me Satan.
>>
"a stem field"

Performing arts field here, it sure must suck to have a category that Patreon doesn't hand free money to.
>>
>>17852661

This is /Adv/, we don't take rants. So we will start giving you some advice:

A few paragraphs are not a good introduction, unless you have really cool stuff to write there. "Networking" should boost your chances of landing a job. Make it more personal, and as such people will pay a bit more attention. Not much, but a bit more.
>>
File: 1463697010783.jpg (47KB, 700x448px) Image search: [Google]
1463697010783.jpg
47KB, 700x448px
>>17852669
>bragging about living of Patreon
>>
>>17852669
alright I'm curious, let's get a link to your paymetons
>>
>>17852661
>completed the degree in the minimum time period
This might not be such a good thing, because employers care about your skill set that are useful to them, in one year (10 subjects?) the range of skills you learn in a STEM grad school is rather narrow, some might be outright useless for industrial work. For example, a company recruit a guy who can do math, but they would also prefer he's well versed in regression analysis (stat), machine learning (math + CS), optimization with large scale data (data science) and can implement all those in their language of choice.
Also what field lol
>>
>>17852692
What I mean to say is: I've never failed (got a grade bellow 50%) a subject when I was in college.
>>
>>17852661
>>17852698

>I recently finished my masters degree at a good University in a STEM field. I scored a decent grade and completed the degree in the minimum time period.

Is that all you can offer? What about projects and previous work experience?Can you get a recommendation?

If this is all you have, a CV won't look appealing by itself.
>>
>>17852712
Shit, I've done a decent master's degree thesis and a few extracurricular stuff on the side. I talk about those on my CV.

The thing is, how long does this process usually take? How long does a big company take to analyse my info?
>>
>>17852661
more specific than STEM ? wtf is that ?

math ? physics ? ee ? cs ?

if you just got some general degree i could understand otherwise those majors have zero problem getting jobs
>>
>>17852726

They won't read your thesis, so decent or crappy it won't matter, right?

What extracurriculars?
>>
>>17852742
Mechanical Engineering
>>17852743
I did a lot of mechanical software related seminars
>>
>sent
Wrong. nigger you need to you be going to these places in person.
>>
>>17852753
I really can't. I'm living in the end of the world.
>>
>>17852749
>I did a lot of mechanical software related seminars

Oh, awesome, so you have a diploma saying you were there for the seminar, and maybe payed attention.

That's not that enticing either. Did you work in any projects? Have you ever been part of a start-up even if it failed? What do you have to show about you that's not sitting for a lecture?
>>
>>17852755
then fucking move
>>
>>17852749
mechanical engineering is kind of limited field job opportunity compared to (say) computers

but still if you got good grades then keep plugging away

i'd plan on moving & apply at large companies that make cars, defense equipment, constructio eqipment things like that

good luck m8 !
>>
>>17852669
>That patreon doesn't give free money to

>Highest paid patreon user was already an established musician
>Half of the top 10 are popsci or comedy
>Neither of those require a lib. arts degree (or any degree)

Building a portfolio and networking is more important than good grades in all university fields, but it's boosted up to 11 when it comes to nonstem fields/fields where you don't even need university for certification.
>>
>>17852661
does your university not have an office for that sort of thing? They'll help you get interviews.
>>
>>17852755
Like how far? Tell us where You live and where you applied.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.