[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does fanfiction copyright shit work when writers convert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: images (2).jpg (7KB, 286x176px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
7KB, 286x176px
How does fanfiction copyright shit work when writers convert a fanfiction into a book like this?

Did she originally upload it as twilight fic, or did she covert it into something more original early in the process? If I publish fanfiction online then adapt it to be original later, am I fucked? How does this shit work? Basically I've written a little over 70k words that have gotten pretty popular and I wanted to start adapting them into something more original that I can actually own. Do I just do that? If I make money off the not-strictly-fanfic version, can I get fucked somehow by the fact that it was fanfic first?
>>
>>17852110
I can't tell anymore, is this a joke?

50 shades of grey wasn't fanfic...
>>
>>17852198
>50 shades of grey wasn't fanfic...
It got its start that way, if you can believe it. Twilight fanfiction, no less. Fortunately for the author, its sheer shittiness actually provided it a certain degree of legal protection: nobody wanted to dignify it with a court case.
>>
Fanfiction in itself gives rise to copyright. I don't know much about 50 Shades, but if the original fanfiction and the published books are different, then she has copyright in both of them.
>>
50 shades had zero relation to the teilight characters. I read out of curiosity and literally you could replace the names with jane and bob and nobody would know it was about twilight.no identifying descriptions or anything. She probably changed some things to make it more different but, if nobody can tell the relation of the characters to copyright, they're not gonna sue you.
>>
>>17852110

the instruments of the immortal bones was harry potter fanfiction.

you can take your fanfiction and change enough names and places that it becomes an original work. the issue with copyright is how much it still uses from the original.

fifty shades of grey used nothing from the original except for the description of the characters looks, and a tiny bit of the personalities (but even then it was fanficized). the reason fifty shades couldn't get sued was because nothing they used belonged to twilight. there was no wolves, no vampires.

someone just wrote a story about bella getting fucked BDSM style and someone said 'hey publish this if you change X Y and Z'

instruments of the immortal bones was similar, but not sex. instead they changed the characters, and removed hogwarts, and had their own rules for magic. i havent seen / read it so i dont know how much changed.
>>
File: 1zbxf83.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1zbxf83.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>17853366
>mfw finding out part of Immortal Bones was originally an incest HP fic
Can't believe it got a movie adaptation (that flopped) and is getting a TV series.

And yeah, as long as everything is unrecognizable from the initial inspiration, you're good to go, copyright wise. The average alternate universe fanfic is too heavily divorced from the source material for anyone to sue you if the names are changed. Just make sure to scrub it of any reference to the original source.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.