[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get better at programming/coding in general? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 997331-code.jpg (48KB, 596x334px) Image search: [Google]
997331-code.jpg
48KB, 596x334px
How do I get better at programming/coding in general? I don't know alot but i'd like to.
>>
>>17851450
By programming and coding of course. There's plenty of tutorials on the internet. Get to it.
>>
>>17851450

why do you want to improve? your motivation for improvement is more important than your method
>>
>>17851450

take a class. even if its just for one quarter. i took one quarter of html back in seventh fucking grade

now i get paid for web design all the time. once you know the basics thats all you need to flourish on your own.
>>
>>17851450
Start with an easy, base language. Once you know one, it's easy to pick up on the others.
>>
>>17851474
I want to make games. Silly, i know, but it's my dream to be on the big stage at E3, showcasing a game I made.

Also, I made a promise to my sister, who recently passed, that'd I'd make one of the greatest games, no matter how long it took.
>>
>>17851484
Damn that's heavy, yo. Well, the bad news is that greatest-games-ever are usually made by dozens of people with extremely narrow, focused, specializations.

The good news is that:
a) I think she'd understand if you're just the general designer of the game, making minions do your bidding.
b) My favorite game is dwarf fortress. It's made by a single man (pretty much). So there are exceptions to the rule.
c) If you make a reasonably badass game that's open source, it would bring you good karma and help you learn, and also I think your sis (depending on what she was like) would appreciate it.

So what tickles your fancy? I'm actually pretty good at the computering, so I can help you with programming. If you want spectacular graphics, I can point you in the right direction. If you want to be a one man show, like dwarf fortress, I can give you some guesses.
>>
>>17851513
I myself, want to code and program the game, I want to know the in's and out. I feel like if I made the game myself, I'd gain more exp than just having someone else build it for me. Being part of a team, doing the inside work... it sounds fun.

But I think for now, im just gonna start of simple. you know, pong, or a side-scroller... simple stuff. I'm just not really sure where to get a good start on it.
>>
>>17851484

find a game you already like playing and make a small mod for it. that's the best way to get started for you.
>>
>>17851528
Alrighty, I think I getcha.

There's a big problem in computer science. Languages, like java versus C++, and the attributes of CPUs and GPUs are thickly shrowded by marketing douche bags.

Getting a degree in computer science is honestly the best option. You can teach yourself to program, but it takes MAD discipline to get good at programming on your own. Do you know what Floyd's algorithm is? Do you know how to take advantage of cache layouts? You might need to, to make a great game. You could order the books that a batchelors degree takes, but it's a bitch to know what's relevant and keep focused.

But I'll tell you one thing to give you a taste: if you want to make a 2D game, you want SFML. The alternative choice is learning OpenGL or DirectX directly. And those might be good options! But more time consuming.

Have you ever made a model in blender? Go ahead and do it, it only takes a couple days. Make a dude walk in blender. Bam, you know how 3D works!

But I'm rambling (I'm pretty damn drunk). If you want to get really good at programming you do this exact thing: you write little C++ programs, then you disassemble the code. You learn more about data structures, you learn more about algorithms. You install linux so you can look at the source to games like the mana world, DCSS, and Pioneer (the space sim, download it and play it now, there's some inspiration for you! look down on earth or epsilon eridani).

So what am I saying here... (if you haven't figured out by now, I'm kinda drunk).... It's NOT an impossible task. I'm NOT trying to dissuade you. Quite the opposite.

Efficiency will be your first challenge. That's why I said to stick with C++ (and learn the latest features, right now C++17). SFML is an EXCELLENT starting point to learn about graphics cards.

Games are about 50% hard work, and 50% learnedness. You need both. You have to be patient, admit that you're clueless, and jump into the unkknown! Sometimes when you don't want to. And
>>
... and I ran out of characters, but after reading that post, I figured I'd let you ask questions.

I mean, like, the greatest work of literature could be embedded in a game. Great works of logic could be embedded in a game.

Do you wanna make an RTS? Do you want the player to learn something? Do you want the player to contribute to something? Create something?

Do you like total war? baldur's gate? shitty games like COD?

I'll tell you right now, making the best COD is like being the best textile weaver. But maybe not, maybe you can add some poetry to it (see previous paragraph)
>>
>>17851528
Err.. I kinda went off on a tangent.

- C++
- SFML (learn to use vertex arrays!)
- Start learning why objects are useful as you go.

Sorry, I relate quite a lot, that's why I had so much to say.
>>
>>17851484
Well well anon, looks like we share the same exact dream, I came into this thread looking for exactly what you are looking for with the exact same goals, besides your promise to your sister. (My condolences to you and her.)
Heres hoping We'll See Each Other Up their anon
>>
>>17851472
This.
Nothing improves your ability to program than just doing it.

>>17851484
Crack open Unity and make something.

>>17851585
>Languages, like java versus C++, and the attributes of CPUs and GPUs are thickly shrowded by marketing douche bags.
This poster is retarded.
>>
>>17851635
Go fuck yourself, anon. Or at least be more specific in why you don't like me.
>>
>>17851646
Because
>big problem in cs
>language wars
>CPU and GPU specs "shrowded in marketing"
You're retarded.
The big problem in CS is the reliance on teaching B-Trees and useless algorithms instead of teaching real application use and the watering down of these courses because everybody and their mother wants in.

Language wars are not a problem at all outside of autism posting, and CPU/GPU specifications and etc are only "shrowded by marketing" to people who don't fucking understand them. You can't hide hardware.
>>
>>17851646
>The big problem in CS is the reliance on teaching B-Trees and useless algorithms instead of teaching real application use
I don't really disagree with you there. I probably did project myself onto the world a bit assuming OP might need Floyd, etc. If you just want a retarded game where you run around shooting each other, fuck path finding, just make models all day. Makes sense.

>and the watering down of these courses because everybody and their mother wants in.
What exactly are they cutting out that you don't like? We did shit tons of math and theoretical stuff. Definitely overkill, in my opinion.

>Language wars are not a problem at all outside of autism posting
Are too! People are still trying to make games in Java. Therefore: fuck you. Java and C# are fucking stupid introductory languages. I'll give you a thousand reasons why.

>and CPU/GPU specifications and etc are only "shrowded by marketing"
>to people who don't fucking understand them. You can't hide hardware.

Yeah. You think OP Mc Newbie game designer understands them? I'm just saying - learn architecture, understand what a GPU is and what it does. Don't be a tard nugget that just desperately avoids that part of it and uses shit inefficient libraries and whines when their game can't get 60 fps because the CPU is busy computing polygons.
>>
>>17851687
>Java and C# are fucking stupid introductory languages
Yup
Retarded.
>>
>>17851662
that last post was a tad snarky there, i didn't mean it like that. just wanting to help OP on the quest I share: to be the best programmer and history and FLAY THE BOURGEOISIE ALIVE USING THE ALMIGHTY POWER OF LINUX.

Or whatever. I'm pretty drunk, but I'm also pretty good at computering. I'm gonna go watch tv for a little while then probably respond to this if it's still up
>>
>>17851702
Lol, nah bruh, youre retarded, and that confirms it.

Ex-nay on that last apology-ay, fuck you, feel bad about yourself, you pathetic wannabe noob. I'm out. OP, that dudes a fuckwit, ignore everything it says.
>>
>>17851662
Those algorithms and trees are the essence of computer science. I think you're confusing cs with software engineering. People get software engineering degrees because programming is easy and makes money. People get cs degrees because they enjoy math, complexity and computations.
>>
>>17852323
OP here. What if I'm having trouble with math? Is it still a good idea to go for a CS degree? Right now in community college im in a game programming degree, but it shares alot of the stuff the CS degree does. I figure i can't really transfer with it to other colleges.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.