[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm fuckin dumb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 079Slowpoke_Dream.png (13KB, 312x295px) Image search: [Google]
079Slowpoke_Dream.png
13KB, 312x295px
So, I work with dogs at a doggy daycare and boarding facility. We feed and watch the dogs as they play and clean up after them. We get new dogs all the time and each dog has its own set of special snowflake rules that we need to follow per its owner or whatever bs it tends to do. (ie some dogs can't play outside so it has to be inside all the time or some dogs are allergic to bees so we have to keep bees away from it)

Whenever we feed dogs, I take FOREVER. People want to leave and go home right away but when they close with me they hate it. Today a co-worker lashed out at me because I forgot to clean the mop bucket and I was about to do it until she forcefully took over and told me I was pissing her off. I'm not even sure what I did wrong. We start feeding at 4pm and have until 6pm to feed our assigned dogs. It was barely 5 and she was rushing me. Everyone wants to leave by 5 because they want to go home, but I usually finish around 5:15 - 5:30 depending on how complicated the dogs are to feed. I don't know what people are doing to be so much faster than me. I ask them and they can't really tell me because nobody has time to watch me feed and then compare and correct what I'm doing wrong. A lot of it has to do with my poor memory.

Cont...
>>
File: 250px-079Slowpoke.png (46KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-079Slowpoke.png
46KB, 250x250px
...Cont from >>17846682

A lot of the "veterans" who work there have fed the same dogs so many times that they've memorized their food and prepare the food before having to check what they eat. Each dog gets a basket of food/supplies and a sheet of paper that tells us what they eat for breakfast and dinner. I ALWAYS have to look at it, find all the things it needs, clumsily prepare it, and hand it to the dog. My co-workers prepare everything by memory without reading anything and I don't know how they do it. I just can't. And our dogs change pretty frequently - so I don't know how they remember what a dog ate a year ago when it stayed there and gave it the same food without error for its current stay. Like fucking HOW?

I've already accepted that I'm a fucking dumbass who forgets things all the time and has to jog to keep up with people's normal pace (I'm very short). But how do I improve? Is it really ok to go at my own pace, even after almost being at that job for 2 years? Do I have a learning disability or something?

Feeding isn't the only issue I have with how I perform. I always forget what room a dog goes to, when they go home, their names....
I get 6-7 hours of sleep a night. Am I just too stupid for this job?

tl;dr
I'm slow at work and everyone hates working with me. How can I get faster? I've tried everything.
>>
How have you tried to memorize? Flash cards lol?
>>
>>17846710
It would be an infinite number of flash cards because we get so many different dogs so often. Especially nowadays with the holidays. I mean there are regulars who come in - they're the ones that everyone really remembers. But some people would feed a new dog once and remember it right away then feed them perfectly without checking the next day. I don't understand it lol.

Plus I'm so exhausted after work trying to rush myself all the time that I just get home and wanna not think about it at all. It's not a job worth putting so much work into (minimum wage), but at the same time it's not a job that I just want to slack off at either.

Also, the rule is to NOT memorize their feeding. A person can change what their dog eats at any time, meaning we're SUPPOSED to always read the paper. But some people don't and just feed them what they're used to giving them. Regardless of whether they gave them the right amount of food or not, they never seem to get in trouble for it. I'm the only one getting in trouble around here for forgetting things or doing things wrong. I just know if I cut corners like my co-workers are doing (assuming that's what's happening), I'll get in trouble.
>>
>>17846710
Shit I misread your post. My bad. Sorry I'm very tired right now.

I haven't tried to memorize, honestly. Simply because we're not supposed to because a person can call and change their dog's food at any time. So we're supposed to follow directions carefully. However people ignore this and feed faster yet don't get in trouble for it. But I always seem to and I don't understand why.
>>
>>17846682
Hi! I've worked with animals, too but at an animal hospital and not a boarding facility. I was reprimanded for being slow, too. It never interfered with a customer having to wait longer than they should or anything like that but I just wanted to make sure I did everything correctly. I was also the lowest on the totem poll and I was younger than everyone else by at least 5 years (mostly 10). Although I tried to put out an air of confidence and a willingness to learn no one would ever try to teach me anything because they didn't have time or they just didn't care enough to. My point is that I know how you feel...I'm at a cross roads in my life that is severely depressing me and if I can help someone else out than at least I'll have done something right.

I think what you need to do is review the meal plans of all the dogs that you have to take care of that day while you watch them play. Constantly read over their meal plans and keep looking back up at each dog to try to associate a certain "recipe" with a particular dog. Try to visualize the recipe over the dog's head like a floating list. That way, if the recipe changes or you get new dogs you can make corrections or new lists instead of relying on flashcards. Do you have the recipe list on your person before you go to feed the dogs?
>>
>>17846854
Geez sorry for all the grammatical errors! I'm really not in a good place right now and it's messing with my head.
>>
>>17846854
We don't have them on us before we feed, unfortunately. And sometimes it's a very busy day and the dogs are very rowdy and we don't have time to just...sit and think haha. Or just think, even, haha.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this at least (funny that it also involves animals), and I'm also at a crossroads due to my slowness. I'm even thinking about quitting and starting over somewhere else. I know I'll have to quit eventually because I don't make enough at this job to make a living, but I still want to work with animals. The only reason I haven't done it sooner is because of how long it takes me to learn things whenever I start at a new job. I HATE the beginning process of me fucking up enough times to get it all down. I hate dragging people down, regardless of me having the excuse of being new or not. I have a feeling it'll be this way where ever I go..

Also I'm older than everyone in my department. Saying I'm a "late bloomer" or "slow learner" is just no excuse. I feel like there's something medically wrong with me at this point.
>>
>>17846858
It's ok anon, I didn't even notice. I'm pretty tired and a bit upset at my co-worker for being a cunt even though I've always tried to be as nice to her as possible, so my mind's also all over the place currently.
>>
>>17846895
Ah, I see. Well so much for that...

Yeah...I'm about to graduate uni with 2 degrees that involve animals. The problem is I've been in school for over 4 years and that's not a good representation of what happens in the workplace at all...my work ethic is shit but I think I'll be more motivated at work....and at my last job I feel like my boss hated me because I messed up so frequently. I know it's the worst feeling...I'm sorry that someone else has to feel the same way I do. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Working with animals is wonderful but unless you are a vet that does specialty surgeries you don't make much money doing it. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>17846927
Ah...here's where the overall shit show that is my life comes into play.

I'm 27, turning 28 next month. I haven't finished school and lost motivation to go a while back. Had a bad breakup that set me back even more (mostly overcame that bs), and this is where I stand.

I've been thinking about going into canine massage therapy. Heard the pay is decent and there's even a place that does that where I live. The course is like $900 though and I'm not sure if that's what I want my end game career to be or not. It just seemed interesting and better than doing nothing with my life. I could/should go back to school, but I'm not sure what exactly I want to do yet. I'm getting old as fuck already and it's just sad now.

This current job is supposed to serve as animal experience and that's all. I just don't want to be shit while I'm here. I think it dawned on me a while ago how much I don't fit in here and my mind has already checked out. I hope that's not the case.
>>
>>17846963
I think that would be perfect for you! :) based off of the very little information I have here haha!

But really, I think that might come to you naturally and you would still be working with animals and making a difference. If you're not happy with where you are and you aren't making good money to boot then make a change! If you start making enough money as a masseuse then you can go back to school, at least part-time. How does that sound?

P.S. You are not old!
>>
>>17846990
Huh. Maybe you're right. Maybe I should just go for it. I mean it's like you said: if I'm unhappy then I should make a change. It's just....man $900 is a lot of money for me. But my bills aren't very high right now so I should take advantage of this time...and I didn't even consider possibly still going to school while doing the masseuse thing. That should've been obvious...(do you see why I'm having trouble in life here? ha)

Thank you anon. I think I'll do it. It's going to take a while to save up but I'll do it. Thank you.

Also sorry to hear that you're going through all this too, and that you're not in a good place currently. At the risk of derailing my own thread (it's my thread and I make the rules dammit!), did you want to talk about it?

P.S. It feels like I'm old when all the friends I grew up with are a couple years younger and have already finished school
>>
>>17847008
Haha it's hard to look at your own problems/life with a clear head. Sometimes you just need someone to come along and point out the obvious. Yeah, $900 is a lot but if that's the price of happiness and a new set of skills...isn't it worth it?

You're too funny! Yes, it's your party and you make the rules! I'm sorry to derail your thread but I guess it would help if I talked about it. Let me get my thoughts together. And please, if you have anything else you want to talk about bring it up! :)

P.S. I know it's hard but you really shouldn't put much stock into comparing your life with that of your friends. You might as well be comparing apples and oranges. There's no magical schedule that we have to stick to as far as life goes so just burn what ever preconceived notions you might have and focus on what will make you feel happy and fulfilled because it's not always what will make everyone else feel happy or fulfilled.
>>
>>17847024
Hm. You have a point. I guess not everyone can find happiness/motivation doing the same things in life. Thank you.

And I'm happy to listen. It's the least I can do.
>>
>>17847008
Ok, as I said, I'm graduating this week from uni and I've got two degrees that MIGHT make me look interesting on paper to employers. I don't have a stellar GPA but it's not that bad...

I didn't participate in any clubs at school because I did way too much of that in high school in order to get in to uni...so much so that I got burnt out on clubs. Plus, clubs here are different...everyone just wants to one-up each other and doesn't really care about serving the community or the animals. They just want to get into vet or graduate school and they don't care who they elbow in the face in the process.

Sorry, that was me on my soap box more than anything else. My point is that I don't have anything on my resume besides work experience. Which I do have enough of but I don't have anything from this past summer because I was taking care of my mom who developed cancer in the spring and my grandma, who lives with my parents. (Mom's fine btw, it's like it never even happened, thank God!) Nevertheless, there's a gaping hole in my resume that I won't be able to vouch for unless I get an interview. And I haven't had any yet.

I've been applying to places left and right but I haven't heard back from any of the ones that I would really consider. I don't really want to work in an animal hospital because I want to go and work in a lab and get some more training there. I'm just really worried that I won't find something soon that fits my budget or on the broad lines of what I want to do to start my career. On top of all of this, I really need to find a job so that my parents can put my grandma in an assisted living facility. My parent's are older and can't keep caring for her anymore. They are paying my way and I am very, very grateful for it and I don't want to be a burden anymore.

I'm just losing hope in my abilities as well as the hope that someone will give me a chance AND deal with my potential slowness...
>>
>>17847008
I just don't want to feel like a failure anymore
>>
>>17847090
Sorry to hear about your mom (but glad she's better!), and sorry you have to deal with all that. It must be a lot of pressure too, since there's sort of a time restraint.

Is volunteering an option? Are there any shelters or animal reservations you could work at? I know those kinda count as work experience and employers do look at it. Like maybe volunteer and then look for a better job with that on your resume?
>>
>>17847121
That's true, I definitely look into that I don't find a job by the end of January.

The problem is that while the market isn't saturated with new grads right now, everyone is closing up for Christmas.

I know that so many people have it harder than I do, but what I wouldn't give for this last puzzle piece to fall into place within the next 3-4 weeks.
>>
>>17847094
I know that feel. But at least you've got experience and some soon-to-be-had degrees under your belt. You're trying, and even if it takes a while, I'm sure you'll get there as long as you're willing to continue.
>>
>>17847141
Thank you, I just need to keep telling myself that it will all work out.

But GOD BLESS IT!!! I could just scream sometimes! It's like so aggravating...

Meh...

Do you want to talk about anything else? I've really enjoyed this thread and talking to you. This is just what I needed.
>>
>>17847140
I know what you mean. Shit, I wish I could help you out more.

Have you tried submitting your resume online anywhere? Like on sites like indeed.com? You just load your resume there and fill some stuff out and they either give you suggestions or people seek you out. I know a few people who have had some success with it.
>>
>>17847181
Oh dear, scratch that like in the it's so aggravating part...I am not a valley girl, I'm just very tired and didn't catch my mistake
>>
>>17847183
Oh yeah! I'm all over indeed.com, shit's great!
>>
>>17847187
>tfw I AM a valley girl and the "like" slips in every now and then

Shit dawg, hahaha. I swear I don't have the accent though!

>>17847196
Ah, that's good then. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I wish I had better advice for you but I'm kinda sorta in a similar boat. Also I'm sure it's area-based as well. Jobs aren't much of an issue here, I think, but I'm not sure about your area.

>>17847181
My linking is all backwards and I apologize. My eyes are closing - I think we both need sleep.

I very much enjoyed this thread as well, and you made my day (or what's left of it) much brighter. I'm not even mad at my co-worker anymore. Thank you so much!
>>
>>17847230
Oh, Danny Sexbang! You feel my pain!

Glad I could help and thank you for listening and advising!

Good night!
>>
>>17847250
Have a goodnight!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.