[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is fiction a complete waste of time? I spend all my free time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 4331710-batman+is+confused.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
4331710-batman+is+confused.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
Is fiction a complete waste of time? I spend all my free time on books, videogames, tv shows and boardgames. I get this feeling that I should be spending my time on creating something rather than just consuming media. But isn't everything that doesn't make money a waste of time?
>>
>>17845554
No
The best artists create for the sole sake of creation

There's a lot of mental benefits for having a creative outlet
>>
If you enjoyed the time it was not wasted.
we are all going to die anyway.
>>
>>17845554
>But isn't everything that doesn't make money a waste of time?
pure ideology
>>
what do you need that money for
>>
Try to live without it, try to exclude all of it. No art, no other worlds, no new stories. Suddenly you will realize how empty is your life and no money would fulfill this emptiness.
>>
>>17845862

It's not my ideology, I love consuming fiction, but I started to feel guilty because MAYBE I could be doing something more meaningful.

>>17845873

Yeah, well... What if I should be using that realization to improve my life?

Maybe me needing escapism is not a good sign.
>>
>>17845926
Describe your usual day.
>>
>>17845931

> Go to class.
> Go to the gym.
> Study 4 hours at least.
> Waste a lot of time on the internet.
> Eat.
> Spend around 2 hours consuming fiction.
> Ocasionally I hang out with Friends.
> Repeat.
>>
>>17845554

depends how you measure time and its worth.

thats kind of the thing with modern life is there is literally nothing that defines its worth universally. money is hte most popular, but a lot of people think its a waste of time to work for EXTRA money. after all, if you have nothing to spend that money on, then its a waste of money, as well as time.

its natural for man to stop consuming and start creating. go for it.

but if you are enjoying something, whats wrong with that? how is it a waste of time to do something you love? its enjoyment.

if its one thing most people will agree on, is that the more you enjoy yourself, the better your life is. its literally all that matters.

imagine dying and saying 'ewll that sucked, but i got a high score, a full 1mil in savings to leave to my family i only see once a year!'
>>
>>17845554
> videogames, tv shows and boardgames
Are trash indeed but nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure or two. Balance yo.

>books
Even a shit book offers fuckloads of benefits.

>I should be spending my time on creating something rather than just consuming media.
Yes. Ideally.

>But isn't everything that doesn't make money a waste of time?
You never know if the skills or knowledge you obtain might help you to make money in the long run ... besides, "not making money = a waste/loss" only applies if you're a company. As a person you decide whether you time is worth spending on obtaining money or something else.
>>
>>17846159

How is a fiction book different than a movie or a tv show?
>>
File: 1479365371807.gif (971KB, 366x229px) Image search: [Google]
1479365371807.gif
971KB, 366x229px
>>17845554

>Is fiction a complete waste of time?

No more so than posting on 4chan.
>>
>>17846418
It's about how you take the information, reading has more benefits than starring at a screen.

Besides, the average fiction book is still more complex than the average movie/show.
>>
>>17846440

What benefits?
>>
You're a human being, OP. Not a machine or a company.
Doing things to entertain you or make you happy is part of life, even if those things aren't directly helpful in getting money.
Thinking and being creative and being happy, all of these things are important to be successful.
>>
>>17846677
There is literally too much stuff to list, feel free to google.
>>
File: 1476195347182.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1476195347182.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
Life is meaningless, the only thing that has any actual worth, is what you decide.

Enjoy video games and books, but tired of simply consuming and wish to produce? Well, learn to program, and start writing.

If it is of interest to you personally, then it is not a waste of time and has value.

My dad liked to woodwork stuff, and sculpting. When he wasn't running his business, that is what he spent 98% of his free time doing (aside from my mom lul). Do you think he regrets it? Fuck no, he said so himself.

Do what you want to do m8.

If you can monetize what you like to do, even better, but that shouldn't be the main goal of life.
>>
>>17846764
Your dad sounds like a cool dude
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.