[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I just quit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (32KB, 750x724px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 750x724px
So I've been working at a grocery store as a cashier for about 3 months. For the past few weeks I've a third of the hours I did before. I just asked my manager about why this was happening and he told me that customers have beem complaining, presumably because I've not been friendly enough. (He said I have to smile more, greet people warmly, etc.)
The thing is, I've been trying my damnest to be approachable and charismatic this whole time. I smile as much as I can, I speak clearly, and although I stumble around conversation, I always at least try to think of something to talk to customers about.

I've basically gone from a NEET who goes to college sometimes to an active person who is moderately social (at least online), and I thought getting a customer serivice job would at least give me some experience in a social/proffesional environment. Instead I fell flat on my face. What hurts the most is knowing the effort I put into the matter.

Should I just find another job? I know that one way or another I have to learn to be likable, but I feel like my social fuckups have made me a pariah at this job, and I need to pay rent.
>>
>>17839150
You should quit Lifeā„¢
This has been advice with /adv/

That's all for today folks, come back next week when I explain the dangers of Mahjong in an obscure Southeast Asian country
>>
>>17839150
OP, I was in your exact position. I cashiered and did other stuff around a 7/11 and this exact shit happened to me.

I suggest finding another job in the short-term. You're likely going to get fired for "underperforming". Look through LinkedIn or Craigslist for data entry jobs. Us NEETs can't flourish in nor ever enjoy a job like customer service.
>>
>>17839150
Practice is key, motherfucker. Quitting won't improve your social skills. Your manager told you shit you can improve, next step is yours.
>>
File: image.png (217KB, 800x421px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
217KB, 800x421px
If I were giving someone else in my situation advice, I'd probably tell them to find their inner strength and become the loudest and most social person in the store, but I know that strength isn't there.
Getting news like that crushes me. I feel more like folding in and hiding under my blanket all day.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 480x360px)
image.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>17839176
It might not, but I'm not going to have any money with my current hours. It really, really hurts to admit defeat, but I need to cut my losses if this is a lost cause.
>>
>>17839158
Pegasus?
>>
>>17839204
Well, if the hours are low, you can look for a new job in the meantime, just no need to quit, since it's still practice.

Defeat obviously sucks but so far you only lost one battle, not the war, so all good.
>>
>>17839216
I also got a D on my EMS course this semester, and I'll have to retake the whole thing again.
On top of that, I can tell I've been withdrawn for the past few weeks. It's like all of my strength was drained from me. I just keep fucking up.
>>
>>17839225
Ups and downs, nigga. Life is full of them. The fact that you did get the job at all and left NEETdom was a move into the right direction. It didn't go as well as it could but it also could be a lot worse.

The only good reason to leave would be if you'd genuinely use the time gained to study, but generally one should be able to do both.

> I can tell I've been withdrawn for the past few weeks. It's like all of my strength was drained from me.
It's normal, just make sure it won't last for too long, since coming back will be harder. Do whatever you usually do to recharge and try again.
>>
>>17839150
Ya just gotta keep trying anon. Look for one while you keep your current if you hardest.

Customer service jobs will only keep shitting on you. People will say you are rude for no other reason than the smallest of slights, that then makes them feel like they have the right to all their pettiest behavior. People will say you're rude because they've been having a bad day and you didn't kiss their ass enough. People wil lsay you're rude because they don't think you're having a bad enough day.

The thing is, most people in customer service would come off as almost uncomfortably courteous in any other situation. We just bluepill ourselves into thinking we deserve it when somebody is across the counter for us.

>>17839176
>>17839216
These guys. I decided to bust ass at every job I have, because I want to take my good habits with me when I leave for another. Because likewise, giving up becomes a habit as I'm sure many of you are well aware of. You can always do better, even if it doesn't seem like it from your position. If you don't give up, people will eventually pick up on that.
>>
>>17839252
If it helps, I wanna add to your post:
Some people don't even have the strength to make that first move that OP did. Where did you find that strength, OP? Can you draw on it again?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.