[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to improve empathy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: empathy.jpg (66KB, 491x356px) Image search: [Google]
empathy.jpg
66KB, 491x356px
Welp, got rejected for a job today in the final round due to psych tests. Simply put, I show very little empathy. I don't doubt the test results, nor is this new to me.

Is there a way I can improve my ability to understand the feelings of others or am I screwed?
>>
>>17828236
You should just lie on the tests but a good way of increasing empathy is through meditation

You calm your own mind and others people reactions "get louder" you start noticing every little tick people have that convey emotions and you start to care more

I had problems with this before and this helped me the most
Also just practicing placing yourself in other people's shoes and figuring out how they might feel throughout the day
>>
>>17828236
Well, it depends whether you're just socially retarded or it's actually a psychological problem.

Why do you have trouble with empathy?
>>
>>17828249
>lie on tests

No thank you. Your other suggestion appeals to me, though.

Got a good website or book on the topic?

>>17828259

Probably because of a sense of self-preservation. Rough childhood/teenage years. It's tough opening up under duress. It's even tougher when you have to consider other people's feelings too.

I resolved my personal issues, but it seems it has left its mark when interacting with people (at least, according to the tests and what friends/gf say).
>>
OP, I can understand you. I work at a hospital and in my old job I didn't interact with patients much but this new position, I see at least 10 patients a day.

The key to empathy is understanding that, even if you don't like someone, their life is just as complex and real as your own. This may seem intuitive and not very helpful but if you really think about it, you'll begin to understand what I mean. Go down to a busy public place and take a while just watch the people that walk by. Each one of them have hobbies, people they love, people who love them back, things that weigh on their mind, and are generally just as human as you and I.

Once you begin setting everyone else as truly emotional human beings is when empathy can occur. But I goes beyond just knowing they are human. You have to make an effort to understand someone, to connect with someone. Think of it as an emotional handshake.

For me, it took realizing that people have a history. I used to get frustrated when I had patients come in who were mad, uninterested, or difficult to work with. I'd bottle up, get just as frustrated, and find myself rushing my work. But now I take a step back, realize that this patient is made probably because of other bad experiences during their hospital stay and that me getting mad will only make things worse. So I usually take the time to ask them "Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?" And if they begin to complain about a something I say "would you like to tell me about it?"

Take the time to realize that everyone around you had feelings. Realize that they want to be understood. Make an effort to understand them.
>>
>>17828310
Sorry for the poor writing. I'm on my phone during my lunch break.
>>
>>17828310

>But it goes beyond just knowing they are human. You have to make an effort to understand someone, to connect with someone. Think of it as an emotional handshake.

Thank you. I think this has been missing in my thinking and doing.

I want to help people, studied for it and now want a job in which I can do so. But I never went the extra mile in the sense that I thought I could help people without getting to know them. Without needing another human being. Which is silly, of course, since complex problems can only be solved by mutual understanding. This means putting in effort in the connections I make.

I just hope it's not to late to learn...
>>
>>17828236
You are just meant to lie you retard. You don't need empathy for a fucking job unless you're a nurse or similar.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.