[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My career SOS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: shipsinksideview2.gif (55KB, 350x220px) Image search: [Google]
shipsinksideview2.gif
55KB, 350x220px
>Background

I'm 28 years old, and have been working in the trades my entire career and even beforehand, starting at 13. It's the only thing I know how to do and the only marketable skill I have. As of late, my health has begun to fail me in the form of back and lung issues, and although no definite diagnosis has been issued to me I feel that my days in my particular line of work are numbered. I've long since been sick of my line of work and have been thinking of transition into a technology-related career for the sake of my health and growth. The original plan was to leverage my current experience one last time to get the highest paid job I could and use the money to eliminate all standing debt (car) and fund my education however necessary, but I'm starting to doubt that my back will permit me to continue doing this much longer.

>(1/2)
>>
>(2/2)

>The Plan

So my idea was for software development or a coding-related job. I've always been interested in tech-related things, and also considered in the future using my industrial background alongside computer knowledge to make a break into robotics and automation. I've heard stories of people who are able to semi-freelance in this sort of work or at least work from home (major improvement from a filthy workshop or job site). The primary issue is I haven't kept up with the tech related fields for a while and am mostly ignorant to the careers available, their future prospects, or their attainability. I'm aware there are many free online sources for learning programming languages, and currently is my target of study (brush up html and javascript for web stuff, learn java/C++/?Python? for actual programming). I'm not aware of the value, purpose, or scope of hardware related knowledge, it's relevance, or how to get started.

>Objectives

-Get out of the trades and into a tech related field
-Aiming for respectable middle class income, 50-90k would be fantastic
- *Bonus* Freelance, work-from-home, or entrepreneurial possibilites
-Any means of avoiding college extremely preferred. I live completely alone (no friends or family) and have no time or money for college, trying to avoid debt like the absolute plague it is.

Any ideas, criticisms, or resources you guys have to offer is deeply appreciated, no matter how small.
>>
What are you waiting on. Should've started on this yesterday
>>
>>17825835
>>17825836

what trade are we talking about?

you relize that you would compete with 22yo Code-monkyes?

what about drafting?
>>
>>17825836
Go take a 2yr course doing radiology. Good job and you can do trade stuff on the side
>>
>>17825904

I understand. I've done some reading here and there, but never solidified a specific direction.

>>17825905

Welding and machining. Yes I understand my competition will probably be a bunch of autists who have a major edge on me in experience. I have no issue in dealing with competition, I'm more concerned about my ability to continue my current line of work and the prospects of the industry's future in general.

>>17825929
I"ll look in to it, but have never had any interest in the medical fields.

Thank you for your responses.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.