[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too much to do, not enough time to do it all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 11321517442.jpg (133KB, 490x375px) Image search: [Google]
11321517442.jpg
133KB, 490x375px
There's just so much stuff I want to do, but there's no way I can do it all, and it's driving me insane.
I'm currently a STEM major. I've been in college for a really long time, but I changed my majors and also took a few semesters off, so I'm a bit behind. I won't get my bachelor's for a few more years. I really don't enjoy college, and I want to quit, but that's not really an option. I'm living with my parents now and they'd probably kick me out if I dropped out again. I don't plan to do anything with my degree, it's just something I wanted to learn.
My dream job is independent vidyadev. I've made a few games, I haven't made any money from them, though. I have an idea in my head for a game that I could sell, but it would take a very long time to make and I'm not sure if I have the necessary skills to make it.
I recently discovered that I have a love for acting. I took one acting class and I had a lot of fun with it. I would love to take another, but I can't fit any into my class schedule. I've been doing some voice acting online. It's fun, but I would rather do film acting. I also would really like to try out filmmaking; I asked my parents for a DSLR camera for Christmas, but I changed my mind and told them not to. I don't know enough about filmmaking yet to need a camera. I will take a film writing class next semester, I wanted to take some more filmmaking classes, such as lighting, photography, etc., but I also couldn't fit them into my schedule.
On top of all of this, I'm also trying to learn a new language, and I would love to go to the country sometime. I have some friends who live there that I could visit, but I would like to have at least basic conversational skills first.
Any recommendations on what to do? Is there any way at all I could somehow do all, or most of this stuff? I thought about joining my school's film club, although I'm not sure if I will. I'm assuming it will be filled with people exactly like me, and I am the absolute worst type of person.
>>
>>17825563
Also it may be worth noting that I don't currently have a job. I used to work in a gas station, but I absolutely hated it. The pay was actually very good, and most of my co-workers were fun to be with, but the job itself was awful and I hated dealing with customers.
>>
Bump, same problem op.

My dream is to be a game dev as well, and I'm trying to juggle and balance all sorts of things and experiences at the same time too.
>>
B-Bump?
>>
>>17825563
It's tough, but given that there are people who work 80 hours a week, it's probably doable if you schedule very tightly.
>>
>>17825563
How old are you, anon? I can only speak from my viewpoint, but I'm in my late 20's and took a similar path to you. I'm now doing independent dev but don't know what the outcome will be. I wanted to do many different things, but my age pushed me to make a decision. There are ways to narrow things down.

I let go of language, because I thought it was more important to figure out how I would make a living. It's easier to learn a language while you're young, but if it's not going to help you find your path in life, it can probably wait. The exception is if you need to be bilingual for a job or to move to another country.

You'll have an easier time making a longer game if you've done shorter games before, but I'd probably choose to make a short game and expand on it if there's time. The most important thing is to be able to finish. You could save your long game idea for your second commercial game.

Working by yourself is very isolating. You probably won't meet a significant other during that time, unless you also take classes, which is something to consider. Also, it's very risky with a lot of competition, so not a very practical choice. It'd be smart to have a backup plan. I can count the number of successful devs in my niche on one hand. I chose it because I felt a need to, and I had a free game that did modestly alright. The nice thing about games is that they combine a lot of different interests (like voice acting and filmography).

It's hard to know what you really want without having tried it all, but there are probably hints at what you should be doing in what you've already done. What's a productive thing you do without being prompted? I think it's good that you keep trying out your interests over your lifetime, as long as you keep the longterm in mind. Spreading yourself too many ways could have you switching majors into your thirties, which ends up being counterproductive. If you have a stable base, it's easier to explore hobbies freely.
>>
>>17827141
OP here, I'm 21. The few games I've made, I did by myself. I have two friends who also want to make games that can help me with this new idea; unfortunately we're three programmers, and we have no idea how to make art or sound effects, and we can't afford to hire an artist. The last game I made I sort of half-finished, then gave up on, because the code was very messy, and no one seemed interested in it.
There's not really any reason for me to learn this new language, I just wanted to learn it. It might help me meet some qts, or get a job teaching English in that country, though.
>>
>>17827154
Ok, you have time. Without knowing your whole situation, imo you could spend several years trying out everything you want without falling very far behind, even if whatever you do doesn't work out. As long as your parents support it...You can always drop the things that don't turn out well or end up being too much for your schedule.

It's hard to find a reliable artist without money, but there are ones that would work for free or a percentage of future profits/kickstarter earnings. Check out some game forums and draw/dev threads. Artists are more likely to join your team if you already have some of the game completed.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.