[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

will i get sued?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

I want to start selling my designs online but after talking to a friend, they said to be careful about copyright etc.
is this image safe to sell? or will i get in trouble?
>>
Are you retarded?

Did you create the original artwork?
>Yes
Sell it
>No
Youre stealing

Only option you have to sell stolen shit is to go to another country
>>
What you have there is something known in copyright law as a derivative work.

You should briefly check the laws concerning derivative work in your country. For example, in the U.S., derivative work is defined as
>a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.
which would include your work because of how it changed what would have simply been an image of Patrick Bateman's face from American Psycho. U.S. law concerning derivative works grant you the right to reproduce and sell the work.

Now, that's not to say you wouldn't get sued. They can always sue you. However, should you attempt to defend yourself in court, you shouldn't have any problem establishing the image as a derivative work that you hold the right to sell as such.
>>
That picture does not fall under fair use. You can get in trouble legally if you sell this design.
>>
>>17823586
Hey OP,

Watch a documentary called, 'Exit Through The Gift Shop' on YOuTube. The second half may be of particular interest if your work is similar to your pic related. If nothing else, it may fire up your creativity.

Don't live your life in fear.

Don't let your dreams be dreams.
>>
>>17823586
You WILL get sued. Period.

All you've done is take someone else's copyrighted image and applied a filter. This is not art. Secondly, it contains the likeness of a famous actor. You can't just go around stealing other people's shit, applying filters in gimp and selling it.

Fuck sake.
>>
>>17823797
All this guy did was add a moustache to the Mona Lisa.

It still is protected as a derivative work.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.