[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1445808212845.gif (271KB, 210x131px) Image search: [Google]
1445808212845.gif
271KB, 210x131px
I don't think I can live in modern society anymore.

I used to work at a pretty big software company and had decent pay, but I hated it. I felt dead inside. So I thought I'd go back to Uni and get a harder degree so I could work on cooler shit, maybe even start my own company, but honestly I'm hating it here as well, everyone is arrogant and the material isn't even that interesting.

It seems that no matter what I do, I'm never happy. I'm a programmer and honestly I can't say I enjoy it, I can get jobs but they're always stressful and I always see the same bullshit of managers getting paid 3x as much as everyone else for doing jack shit.

I'm not full nihilist (yet) but right now it seems like there's no point to any of this since I can't seem to enjoy myself. I think I made the mistake of pursuing "success" in my adolescence and early adulthood, so I don't have many friends or people to even talk to. I'm spending more and more time just procrastinating by myself, which I know isn't good but I'm losing motivation to do anything else, because I feel like I'll just end up in the same shitty place I was before.

One thing I've considered is going full hermit and living in a cave somewhere but I've put barely any real thought into this, and I always think about how I'd miss things from my old life (like the internet).
>>
>>17821893
>I don't have many friends or people to even talk to.
There's your problem. Get off 4chan and go meet people.
>>
>>17821893
same boat brother.
>>
Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain. Consider getting treated by seeing a doctor.
>>
>>17822005
>Get off 4chan and go meet people.
I do try, and sometimes I feel better as a result, but it always seems to be a cycle of feeling good, followed by feeling bad again. I did boxing for a while, which was fun, but eventually I had to quit because of work commitments. Also I didn't really engage with anyone while I was there, I just sort of did my own thing (I've always been antisocial, I don't really get on with most others).

>>17822252
I've done this but they always tell me I'm fine and that I should do exercise, eat healthy etc. (which I already do).

I'm about to sit an important exam and I just don't give a shit. I can foresee myself failing completely as a result - maybe I need that as my wake up call.
>>
Having been anti-social (in the sense you describe) most of my life, I'll point out what worked for me. My life has improved tremendously after I made two small changes.

>had decent pay, but I hated it. I felt dead inside.
>I'm hating it here as well, everyone is arrogant
>no matter what I do, I'm never happy. I'm a programmer and honestly I can't say I enjoy it
The first thing you have to realize is that your perception shapes the world around you.
Have you ever met someone who seems always happy and positive? Chances are, to them, your job was amazing, and your university colleagues are incredibly smart.
Ask yourself this question: would you want to be happier if that meant changing your perception of the world?
Personally, I didn't for a long time. If you do, read on.

[TBC]
>>
>>17822702
[cont]
The second big realization is *why* you are antisocial and perceive the world negatively.
I used to think this was just my personality, but it turned out not to be the case. After I started improving my life, I realized one big truth:
The reason I felt negative about the world and people around me was because I felt negative about myself.
If you hate yourself, there's no chance you'll be able to like people around you.

Now, you may thing you don't hate yourself, but carefully read what you wrote:
>I felt dead inside
>I'm never happy
>I can't seem to enjoy myself

now, onto how you can fix that [TBC]
>>
>>17822708
So, what the hell can you do to fix all this?
I'll tell you what worked for me.

Force yourself to interact with the people that you hate around you.

That's it. No detours, no easy way out. You'll hate it. But you'll be happier in the end.
>>
>>17822712
I know you're right. It's like an addiction - even if you know something is bad, if you get accustomed to it it feels "good" in a way (but only temporarily). So yeah, I do agree with everything you said, especially about how perception influences a lot - sometimes I go through periods that are good, when I can see past the negativity I usually see, and I start being nicer to people and generally having a good time. But for some reason I always seem to end up back in the shit again and again. I dunno, I've been looking at cognitive behavior therapy, since I think it's probably something to do with my overly negative mindset dragging me down all the time.

tl;dr you're right, I know it inside but breaking old habits is hard. But I never tried just interacting with people around me for the hell of it, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
>>
File: 1469252573843.jpg (104KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1469252573843.jpg
104KB, 500x373px
>>17821893

Dude, if you really want to leave modern society, then spend a year overseas with the Red Cross or VSA- Then you may get a different perspective.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.