[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

theft at work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: do not undersand.gif (36KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
do not undersand.gif
36KB, 720x720px
I was finishing up last night at my new work, and out till was out $50

a round $50 missing from the till is basically a theft
we know it wasn't the float because the safe balanced
or the eftpos because it keeps it's own records
so $50 in hard cash was removed from the register

it could have been dropped on the ground or something, but we didn't find it
it could have been given to a customer accidentally, but that is hardly plausble
it could be the cash is right after all, and the issue was an extra $50 being charged on the system by accident
however we don't have any items ticketed at $50
or it could have been a freak combination of overcharge/money change error that came to exactly $50
but theft seems the most likely explanation

the issue:
there were only two people working then
a guy who has been there 8 years, turned down a managers offer, good guy from what I can tell
and me, new guy

I asked him if he would search my stuff before we left that night as a favor, I wasn't sure what else I could do in the circumstances and I did the same for him; naturally there was nothing to find but it's hardly watertight

the managers are looking into it currently, and I'm worried I might get fired over this
the loss of a job would be bad enough, but it's a small ton and an an accusation of theft would be damning
what should I do?

>tl;dr cash missing from my till and I can't explain to my boss how it could have happened
>>
just tell your boss you didn't steal and for them to check the cameras.
>>
The dude that has been there 8 years probably did it and is trying to blame it on you unless something crazy happened.

I hope there were cameras involved. How hard did you actually search him? He could have had the $50 in his pocket the whole time.
>>
Just give them $50
>>
>>17821382
I think OP wouldn't be having this problem if they could just check their cameras. Some places don't have security cams.
>>
>>17821382
>>17821397
>>17821436
there are cameras, most of them are fake to begin with

the nature of CCTV is such that while it's possible to catch someone with it (which I hope will happen), the issue is that CCTV can't clear me of wrongdoing

eg. customer gives you 100 for a 50$ item
you take out a hundred, and give them 50
you pocket the other 50
the angle of the camera is such that a viewer couldn't see what you took out, and even if it did the camera quality (at 700p/ 30FPS) wouldn't be able to distinguish one 50$ note from 2

even if I walked straight up to the register, took 50 out and walked off with it, I could claim I took that money for change, for a refund etc etc

the cash handeling practices are very poor where I work, for instance there is no independent record of the float monies, if an employee took $300 for the float instead of $200, the loss would be easily detected; however nobody could pin down at which point the money went missing; everyone working that shift would be suspect

we even have some tills not linked to any register at all
our safe doesn't have a terminal, only paper records of the money in it; so a manager could simply forge the safe total sheet and put the loss on any shift they wanted
>>
>>17821407
while my job is worth $50, giving them $50 would be a very very foolish thing to do indeed

firstly it would be tantamount to an admission of guilt, which would see me fired on the spot

and secondly the perpetrator could simply do it again

bad advice 2/10
>>
File: athf_ep039_02.jpg (34KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
athf_ep039_02.jpg
34KB, 400x300px
>>17821632
>my job is worth $50

You are right to reply to that other post as you did; bad advice is bad. But I think you miss the other side of the coin on one point. Your job IS worth more than $50, and not only to you.

Finding bodies worth hiring costs money. Training them costs money. During the holidays, even more so. Everybody is hiring right now. It's a really bad time for them to try to find someone to replace you.

Therefore, even if they (wrongly) suspect you, I don't think you need to worry about losing your job. Running a business means managing risk. They will be willing to take the risk that you stole $50 in order to keep you around to help the business machine run.

They'll be watching you more closely. So what? You aren't a thief. They might keep you off the register for a bit. So what? It's not like cashiers make tips. In time they'll see you're not a thief. Maybe they already do.
>>
>>17821311
Calm down.

They are not going to fire you without solid evidence. The worst that will happen is that you'll be under a cloud of suspicion for a while.

Meanwhile, if it is clear to you that their security sucks, it should become clear to them. This can be a relatively inexpensive wake-up call to them to upgrade controls and security.
>>
>>17821311
you won't be fired for a missing $50
in the grand scheme of things, $50 is a drop in the bucket for a business operating in a month. if there's no damning evidence suggesting you took it and your till isn't under suspicion in the next few weeks/month or two, you'll be fine.
keep your nose clean and follow the rules and you'll be fine
>>
>>17821689
this is a good point, something I had not considered

I am probably worth keeping even if I did steal the money, so I probably won't be fired on the spot

but even so, the same issues remain
there will still be a thief at work
my reputation would still be precarious
I would have to work under suspicion; which I would not find very tolerable

>>17821747
well that is the way a mature business owner would see things, yet this is never a given

I'm worried that in the absence of any real evidence, if there is no action taken by the boss the cloud of suspicion will turn to finger-pointing and bad-mouthing

at which point, things are beyond repair
>>
>>17821756
I think the issue is a bit more serious than that

while $50 is not a huge amount the business is not that large

the main problem is that if they think I will steal money when I can, tomorrow it might be $500 from the safe
or skimming the EFPOS

if they can't trust me to perform critical functions like tally the tills, I will loose those shifts to someone they can trust
an potentially the job if they find a replacement for me
>>
if you know you didnt steal it then you've nothing to worry about.

questioning your own innocence like this isn't good and any interrogative actions taken by your managers may surface self doubt. You need to be firm, if you didnt take it then theres nothing for them to find on you. It's their job to weigh up the possibilities and act accordingly

If you're on a probationary period, this will compound the situation

However, if you're not... Join a union and take action if you're dismissed unfairly.
>>
>>17821839
I tried the unions last time I was unfairly dismissed
they are too weak to help people, not enough members,too many enemies in the business community, too much corruption
but that is a long story

you are right that I need to be firm about my innocence

but I worry, because things are not fair "innocent until proven guilty" isn't a law in the real world
>>
>>17821876
>but I worry, because things are not fair "innocent until proven guilty" isn't a law in the real world

You're right... Thing's arn't fair. You didn't do it, so don't stress it. If they fire you take them to court, they'll have to prove you actually took it. Don't start taking that shit from people now because it will end up with you adding 5 hours to your week in an office job.

I remember being at a pub once when I had recently turned 18 and a member of staff short changed a 20 saying I gave him a five. He was only a few years older but I had about 40 for the night and now I had 20 and no change. We spoke to the manager and not only was the kid was fired on the spot we were comped a round of drinks.

Bar managers arn't stupid. If you're worried just say... You're my manager and last shift the till was $50 short on my first night. I'm concerned I'm being suspected because it's my first night. I just want to find out if there's any suspicion about this. The jobs worth more to me than $50 and if this is a regular thing where staff just throw accusations at each other I don't really want to be around it. I'm just here to work.

I certainly wouldn't stress myself over $50 over a $10 an hour job.

The truth if there's 4-5 people who've been their more than a year they'll all be aware of someone doing something. I know a local bar where the supervisor and half the staff are on amphetamines and have been for almost a decade. You wonder why any of them stay there if the tills always short and they're always having their wages docked.
>>
I work as a manager at a retail store and I can tell you some things about this exact kind of situations.

Following up on internal theft is very hard and unethical to pursue without serious evidence. Apologize to your boss and explain you honestly have no idea what happened, but politely ask if you could be on your own till for a while - meaning that, if someone is on before you, the till gets counted before you come on.

There are lots of ways that $50 could have gone missing; mistaking a $100 for a $50 is one of them, for instance. Or the money could have been missing from the till before the day even started if it was inaccurately counted the day before.

These kinds of things require multiple offenses and most stores will move people to so-called 'dedicated' (meaning, single-employee) tills before they take action because it's the only way to isolate individuals.
>>
File: 1477623053933.jpg (38KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1477623053933.jpg
38KB, 413x395px
>not fingering the new guy
>>
maybe try not to steal from your job next time? you think that half-baked bullshit is going to fool anyone? I've seen people stage robberies done by their friends all the time
>>
Large companies usually just give a verbal warning (you many need to sign something) then a written warning again you sign something then the third warning can be termination.

So if it's your first time just be super careful, make sure to tell the supervisor/manager if there are any errors with handling cash do it ASAP so the issue can be resolved on the spot and avoid any problems at the end of the shift.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.