[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I break up with my depressed and suicidal girlfriend?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0026.jpg (111KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
111KB, 600x800px
My girlfriend of 2 years just tried to kill herself last night, she is currently still in the hospital awaiting psych evaluation. Before this, she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and depression. The last two years have been great but hard at the same time. She doesn't seem to really have the drive to get better/ improve herself at all. So my question is should I break up with her?
>>
Depends if you're ready to deal with these issues for the rest of your life with her than by all means stay.
If you're not plenty of shit in the sea.
>>
If I do break up with her what would be the best way of doing? Obviously I need to wait until she is out of the hospital, but she also lives with me.
>>
>>17816879

yes. should it be now? hard to say. she did JUST try to off herself, and it would seem particularly selfish to leave now. that being said, you shouldnt stay with her just to look good.

perhaps this is the wake up call she needs, that shes driving people away, and she is in the psych ward where she can't kill herself now, so its probably the safest time to do it while she will have that support system.

id vote yes. i dont think depressed / suicidal people should be allowed to date. but if she really doesn't seem to want to improve, but would rather just wallow in her depression, then you can't help her, and she'll only bring you down in the process.

get out man. good luck. sorry for the people who will judge you after the fact.
>>
Self bump. Just want a few more opinions.
>>
File: printer.jpg (37KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
printer.jpg
37KB, 640x627px
The key to any relationship is communication and honesty so tell her exactly what you've told us and ask her to start treating herself

Set specific expectations and if she doesn't meet them within a few months then move on

Also for what it's worth depression is surprisingly ridiculously easy to treat- I was depressed for 18 years and didn't even know til I was tested clinically. As soon as I knew I took care of it

>Regular exercise
>Regular sunshine
>Regular social interaction with peers
>Regular altruism
>Good diet
>Good sleep

Anyone who's depressed for more than a few weeks and hasn't experienced a recent traumatic event is lacking in one or more of those areas or has a physical problem resulting in a hormone imbalance (but that's rarer than shit), nothing complicated about it.

tl;dr teach her how to treat herself and give her an ultimatum and expectations, move on if she doesn't meet em
>>
File: 1453499225334.jpg (31KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1453499225334.jpg
31KB, 540x540px
>>17816944

>bumping instead of responding to posters

this is why no one likes you.
>>
>>17816961
Sorry I haven't really been to /adv/ before.
>>
>>17816957
She has been going to a therapist for the last few weeks. And she been seeing a psychiatrist for the last 8 months or so. He has been giving her different medication and even gave her lithium. None of it seemed to do much, I think might try to push her to try some of this stuff.
>>
>>17816879

Dated a girl who routinely attempted or threatened suicide. Same shit, BPD.

Leave if you value your own sanity and life. You will not change her. I would be surprised if she actually cared about you lol.

Learn the signs to avoid people like this in the future.

Cheers
>>
>>17816905

>she lives with me

Holy shit. Just do it. It's going to suck for both of you. Dont beat around the bush just be factual and cold.

"I really don't think we can see each other anymore, and I want to break up." Maybe some sentiments to help her feel better if she's freaking out.
>>
File: 1477224822238.jpg (696KB, 2007x1304px) Image search: [Google]
1477224822238.jpg
696KB, 2007x1304px
>>17816977
Yeah get her off the lithium pronto- they fry brains with that shit

Anti depressants are fine for some people but they fuck up some others. They're also only treating the symptoms of depression- not the cause, which is basically a waste of time for someone who actually cares about coming out of depression.

tl;dr try it and encourage her- take up a gym subscription with her- run with her outside for sunshine etc. Keep your expectations high and demand more of her and you'll either fix her or find out that you're better off elsewhere
>>
>>17817005
The main reason why don't just kick her out, is that her family just absolute shit. They don't give a fuck about her and would only make things worse for her I feel.
>>
>>17817008
Yeah that's kind what I was thinking I feel like all the meds they give her just make everything worse. Granted I don't know shit about medical shit like this.
>>
>>17816964

its okay man. its just basically courtesy.

just remember if someone took the time to give you advice, they're being helpful. they dont even need a 'thanks'. but a response lets them know you actually cared, especially if they took a long response to help break things down for ya.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.