[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living life offline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Walden 1.jpg (466KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Walden 1.jpg
466KB, 1600x900px
I spend all my free time online, but it doesn't make me happy. Every day is the same, and I look at a lot without learning anything. Meanwhile I've got a big shelf of books that I can't read because my mind keeps drawing me back to video games or 4chan. I've no social life I need to maintain, so I can quit any moment now. My main hope is to get interested in reading again by submerging myself in it.

Have any of you done this? Did it make you happier? Do you have any advice for someone considering it?
>>
It's kind of crazy because it's entirely psychological. You just need to force yourself to read, and to keep reading. I'm thinking about this a lot now and I don't understand it but it's difficult to get the ball rolling, but once you do you're in the zone. Basically, it's easy to do so don't worry.

If it helps, you can think about your situation. If you read for 2 hours a day, before long you would have finished that entire shelf of books, you'd feel fucking amazing that you read all that shit, and you'd likely be going out to get more books to further that. Hell you might feel so inspired to write, or do something else meaningful with your life. If you carry on as normal, you won't get to this point and you'll likely feel very similar the entire time.

Also, it helps to break things down. A massive bookshelf full of books feels daunting, but really we can break it down into books, then into pages, then into words. After all, reading is just one word at a time, reading this post you've already read more than two hundred words.

The same thing applies to shit like drawing, learning languages, exercise, or anything. We always look at the result and think "Wow that's so amazing, I could never do that!", we always give ourselves the big goal "I want to be able to draw photorealistically!" or "I'll never be fluent in Spanish" which can be over-bearing. Drawings are a collection of lines, to which a few rules are applied, languages are a collection of sounds, to which a few rules are applies, buildings are a collection of materials to which a few rules are applied. Small things really add up over time.
>>
>>17815332
my friend, i love video games too, but you need to quit if you want friends and to breathe fresh air. not gyro basement air from last night.
>>
>>17815384
That's a cool way to look at it. It's not so much finishing the books that I care about, but eliminating the negative influence of the internet from my life. Regardless of which site I choose, they all make me pessimistic and unhappy, but too entertained to do something else. I want to live a lifestyle offline, but with no money and a PC it sounds difficult to maintain.

>>17815403
I think you can have both, but I agree to an extent. That's why I made this thread.
>>
>>17815332
I joined a conservation corps job last summer, was out innawoods for 8 days at a time with no internet or electronics and it was great. I kept busy with work and I didn't even miss the internet when I was away from it.
>>
>>17815457
Do you use the internet less nowadays because of it? Was it more fulfilling?
>>
>>17815332
Same fucking situation here but I also am writing a book. I don't work on it enough, I don't do fucking anything all day. Sometimes I actually just sit here clicking back and forth on the pages to see if anything interesting has changed, it's awful.
>>
>>17815483
In fact, I'm just clicking back and forth right now.
>>
>>17815476
It was very fulfilling, and I did use the internet less for a while, especially because I had friends. Having friends you regularly hang out with is key. But now that i moved back to the city to continue college i sit my ass on the computer just as much as before. The corps was very fulfilling, however. I will definitely do it again. I even gained 10 pounds which is hard for a skelly like me to do.
>>
>>17815384
Wow, best advice I've gotten. This may turn out to be seriously life changing. Thank you Anon!

Not OP by the way.
>>
>>17815502
What's your book about? Do you have plans to quit the internet?

I see it as kind of the only logical end point. We all know it's only downhill from here - more memes, more political bullshit, and more surveillance. I'm just hesitating because I'm lazy, but also so that I have some ideas going into it to keep myself from going back a week or two into it.

>>17815523
Key to keeping yourself from getting bored, right?
>>
>>17815533
Yeah, and I remember when I was a freshman in college, which was a very social time for me, I barely went on 4chan at all. Because it was back when everyone was new and open to making friends and hanging out. It's hard for me to maintain friendships over time though, and my antisocial self reemerged after sophomore year.
>>
>>17815533
Concept of the book is a little hard to explain. Whenever I do explain it it sounds shittier than I've written it lol. Basically a guy ends up in a room he's never seen before, the room is of victorian design and has two doors on each end of the room, he can go through the next door, but the door behind him always locks, every time he goes through the door he just ends up in the same room over and over again but each time the room changes slightly, more and more so to where things change a LOT, to where it basically isn't even the room anymore. Reads better than I make it out to sound. Similar to an adult alice in wonderland is how I describe it, but not really.

And no, no plans to quit, I write the book online so. I don't do anything else, plus depression really helps me stay here.
>>
>>17815562
Sounds interesting, kinda like an existentialist novel. Hope it works out for you.

>>17815554
Were you social in high school? I'm about to graduate as a senior (18) and I've never found anyone I can relate to well. I'm going to a big state school with 27K people and hoping I'll have a social year like you did.
>>
>>17815590
not really. I had friends but I never really hung out with people outside of school. So I got along with people but they were really just acquaintances. Part of the reason why my first year in college was social was because I went to a historically black school as a white person, so it made a great conversation starter. But what I learned is that its easy to make friends, but hard to maintain them. So it shouldn't be too hard to make friends initially if you join clubs and go to events and stuff. It's just harder once you finish your first year of college, at least that was my experience. It's not in my personality to maintain long term bonds.
>>
>>17815384
Thanks anon. Not op but this is great advice. Thank you
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.