[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be an adult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: cover.jpg (2MB, 4335x2990px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2MB, 4335x2990px
Welcome to a HOW FUCKED AM I thread.

Just looking for some input, friends.

When I was 18, I mistakenly used store credit cards and racked up about $4500 in debt. Now I'm 21 and still sitting here with about $4000 in credit card debt and $3000 left of my student loans (only $50 a month payment).

I make about $2000 a month but between rent, food, car stuff (like gas and repairs), and credit card payments, it feels like I'm just spinning my wheels. My credit score is sitting right at 600 right now.

Any advice for dealing with my situation?
>>
>>17813877

Your debts are relatively small. Just work and pay them off little by little. Debt isn't an issue as long as you can still live comfortably and pay the monthly fees. There are plenty of people who graduate collage with tens of thousands of debt and no job prospects, so you're in a better spot than them by far. Maybe consider if you could cut down on living costs for a while, so that you could pay off the loan completely and then have more money in the long run. For example, are you spending money on luxuries you don't need? If you save on them now, you can spend more on them once you've paid back the debt.
>>
>>17813877

cut the payments wherever you can. how much are you spending on food? fun?

smart and final has a 40 pound box of chicken thighs for 40 bucks. thats enough meat to last you more than a month. with other neccisities and things to balance that out you could probably do 100 bucks a month for food, 150 at most.

as far as fun goes you can cut out any thing frivilous. limit yourself to eating out once a week for 20ish dollars or less.

to avoid WANTING to go out, try to create home body things to do with friends. movie nights, game nights.

isntead of buying new games download classics on your computer, and sync up with ONE usb controller.

if you can cut your rent down by room sharing, consider it.
>>
>>17813877

also you are not fucked at all, thats pretty simple. i make 1500 a month and have over 300 dollars in student loan pays a month.
>>
>>17813877
That's really not a lot of debt, with some planning and maybe frugality you can get rid of that pretty quickly. If you're making 2k a month then it is absolutely possible. You could also look at transferring the debts to another credit card - I dunno if banks do this in your country but I don't see why they wouldn't - many offer credit cards with interest-free introductory offers where you can transfer a balance from other credit cards and pay the amount off over x amount of months. If you do that, and still can't pay off the debt by the end of the interest free period, just transfer it again. Means you can pay a minimum amount each month, not breaking the bank, and avoid interest.
>>
>>17813898
>>17813891
>>17813907

Thank you for the tips. I'm really kicking myself for thinking credit == free money. Won't ever use credit cards again!
>>
>>17813877
Since you have actually paid some down, see if the lenders are willing to negotiate your debt down. Many companies are willing to negotiate down the principal to ensure they actually get repaid.
>>
>>17813914

i feel ya. i went 8000 dollars in to debt filming a web series. the worst part is? all the footage is lost. whole project scrapped. bleh.
>>
>>17813915

also this. at work we owed 12000. we paid it down to 8000. but they settled for 5000 as a lump sum
>>
>>17813926
Wouldn't this harm your credit score though? I would have thought companies would only do this if you were in dire straits and totally unable to repay the debt.
>>
>>17813961

OP here. Curious as well.
>>
>>17813961

nope. we were making payments regularly and the styill offered that. not sure on the credit score front to be honest, but i iamgine not. paying off is payinf off, but talk to them. ask them how this will effect your credit score.

your credit score is literally juts what these companies REPORT.

a lot of people leave their debts hanging for years, come back, negotiate a lower pay off, and then add 'i want this expunged from my credit report.

and the score changesto follow.

the truth is your SCORE means very little. its the credit report that matters. the score is indicative of whats gone wrong, but look at me. i had a credit score of over 700 and i still got rejected everywhere cuz my credit score was based on two very stupid simple things that showed that i had no REAL credit experience.

whereas people with lower credit score but a history of showing they pay their shit can apply for more.
>>
compared to a lot of younger americans, youre debts aren't that bad. Both of my sisters have acquired in the ballpark of $70,000 to almost $100k in debt from school and theyre not even in their 30's yet. Consider yourself lucky and get working on paying it all off so you don't end up like them.
>>
>>17813988
Well yeah, but surely it would be included in the report that you had to ask to have a debt waived? Which would suggest inability to pay. I suppose it's probably different for companies but for individuals I would assume this would look bad to future lenders.
>>
>>17813996
>100k in debt

Lmao wtf are these bitches smoking
>>
>>17813877
Eat better food by making yourself cheap vegan meals at home, from scratch.

Use the cash surplus to renegotiate the principal and pay it down.
>>
>>17814004

> but surely it would be included in the report that you had to ask to have a debt waived?

i dont know. but agian, you can make the demand that it not be. you can negotiate that. im not sure what the usual is but people often ask it not to be included, otherwise, why pay it off at all?

ask the people you are trying to pay off.

but all in all, you could just pay this off at a regular pace as well
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.