[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I was told by a therapist that I need to start setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161011_142112.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161011_142112.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Hello, I was told by a therapist that I need to start setting some goals.

Isn't everything you do a goal of some sort?

How do you go about 'setting goals'?
Especially when you lack future oriented thinking.

Is there a way to 'set goals' without friends or other people? (People scare the shit out of me, and I really don't know why...)

I should of asked during that meeting, but I don't see a therapist anymore.

Pic is from my backyard
>>
Well that can be your first goal, get over your social anxiety.

When making goals, start thinking about the stereotypical things science suggests makes a "successful person"
Do you have a good job? No? There's a goal.
Do you have a good friend group? No? Goal.
Are you in shape/perfect health? Goal.

From there you can start thinking more to your specific situation. You can think more about who you are as a person, what you find interesting, where you think it would be cool to be. Baby steps first though.

Also you have to remember if you truly do want to better yourself then that's going to mean doing the things you don't want to, the things you find scary, the things that are hard an take a lot of effort. Once you suck it up and just do it, it gets better incredibly quickly.
Also, I'd probably suggest going back to a therapist, sounds like you could use professional guidance in all this, especially with the social anxiety. I know from personal experience, thats not one I'd suggest just trying to solve on your own. Because it's too easy to back out on without the pressure of knowing someone is waiting for you to report back with progress.
>>
>>17812283
Thanks a bunch for your answer, it really helped lay out what I was looking for. : )
>>
when it comes to weekly goals I make sure they're small so they're not overwhelming, at most. I don't set them often but I kind of want to get in the habit of doing it.
>>
>>17812297
No problem mate. Goal makings the easy part, finding a way to reach said goal and then actually executing the plan is the hard part. But its all rewarding in the end.
I didn't really have much in mind for the future either, but sitting around wasn't an option so I did basically just what I told you.
What would make me what is deemed universally a successful person? Well people think highly of those with degrees so I guess I'll go to college. Then I just thought about what I wouldn't hate doing and majored in that. Progressed onwards from there until I am where I am now, with an actual career goal in mind, and I'm actually excited with the thought of getting the job. I'm actually excited for my future for once.
Further you move, the more you'll learn about yourself and junk, just gotta keep your feet moving.
>>
>>17812308
Oh that's good advice too. Nothing demotivates ya more than constantly failing a goal. Making long term big picture goals is important, but don't forget the small stuff. Break the big goals down.

Like if you're going to work on the social anxiety, being mostly comfortable in social situations is your long term goal. But until then make smaller goals. Hell, I have the same issue. Got a chart on my wall for each day of the month with certain tasks I feel I should do daily. On that is "Talk to at least one person"
Even if that's just a simple "Hi how you doing?" to a stranger walking past, little small talk that lasted 20 seconds.
End of the month I tally up how many things I did and just feel good about my progress.

So depending where you feel you are OP, maybe you can make a daily goal like that too. Just talk to at least one person, no matter how mundane, every day.
>>
>>17812271
nice bird

just to add to the conversation a little bit, i don't currently have any long-term goal except to be happy. i've only ever been genuinely happy during parts of my 3 year relationship with an ex. before that, nothing. currently, nothing, really. and for me to be happy, i just need stability. financial stability, housing stability (own a house, as opposed to rent. i don't care if its a tiny house.), and transport (own a car).

the only goals i have right now are:
1) get a different job. current one is very poorly managed, about to be liquidated, and makes me 2000% anxious.
2) provide good times to my current girlfriend. she's really sweet, and one of the things that i really enjoy in life is making other people happy.
3) learn how to ollie on a skateboard. just picked this up a few months ago, i'm confident cruising around now. time to move on to an ollie. then to a powerslide, maybe a kickflip, etc.
4) don't kill myself
>>
I appreciate the answers!

Not sure what else to say, but know that you guys helped alot.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.