[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ashamed of my Hobby

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1470747044010.png (83KB, 291x343px) Image search: [Google]
1470747044010.png
83KB, 291x343px
I need help /adv/

>about to turn 27
>spent countless hours on vidya and tabletop games
>reflect on both
>enjoy them still but feel great shame
>try to stop but realize outside of books and some interests, i have no real hobbies
>begin to feel greater shame
>return to both
>continue to fail to build substance and experiences

I am getting older and keep thinking about the time I wasted. Yes I enjoyed and still enjoy both, more so vidya.

The people I have met off tabletop have been mostly nice but odd and maladjusted as well as (when I really got into it at 16) much older. I left the hobby for a good few years to focus more on vidya. I never dreamed id go back to tabletop but now I just purchased a new game and feel great sadness.

Video games ive ended up going to weeklies and events around one game, a fighting one. Being in my late twenties most are early 20s or late teens and nerdy and while quirky are fairly fun and sociable as well as good company. In contrast to tabletop, they are nerdy but sound.

Truth is I was bullied badly as a teen and this allowed me to relive those years much nicer. Its pathetic but ive met pretty nice people through it.

Thing is I feel I should have moved on. I am working an entry level job in hr. I like it but its a contract and still need to establish a proper career.

A part of me wants to continue on in the hobbies but I realize by tabletop id be around a bunch of oddballs and the vidya im pretty much with kids.

The imagined me was succesful, stable and a wide variety of skills
Not an expert remotely just a well balanced life.

The reality is ive sunk so much time into gaming, in the real world outside of academics ive nothing to show for it.

A part of me wants to give them up and my heart knows is be better off. But without I have little to myself and i do enjoy them so much.

What should I do?
>>
>>17811957
Continued...

I remember at 17 i decided is get rid of my games and miniatures and focus on study and new hobbies.

Then i began to feel anxious, then shame then like a failure. I saw succesful people around me who were fulfilling their goals.

I always day dreamed and fantasized doing things but when realizing how much time I wasted, I fell into a sunk cost mindsst and fled right back to it.

I dont agree with the

>if its fun its not a waste

Read it, heard it many times. I disagree, it doesnt produce anything tangible. Despite doing it, it makes me a hypocrite, but i find that logic terrible.

My post is in bits but I want to be different but fear its too late.

I am not proud who I am, or my achievements.

I have been blessed with a stable and very loving family and I feel i have let them down and I need to make a jump in maturity and soon.

But i dont know how.
>>
Your problem is not the hobby but your feelings of inadequacy and poor self esteem

Vin Diesel is a successful actor and plays D&D. Stop making uses games as scapegoat for your real issues
>>
>>17811957
I think you should take a long time to think on why you feel shame, are you comparing your life to some standard of what you think life should be?
>>
>>17811992
Yes.

I have had flaws in my habits and lifestyles which, during my teens, should have been challenged and addressed. They werent.

I use and still use video games as my main form of entertainment and as escapism. Recently it has let me meet, as I said some really, REALLY nice people. I dont judge them because they're young and genuinely sound.

My expectations of myself based on the standards of people I have seen who are succesful are career focused, sociable, productive, open minded, and dont waste much of their time.

I do compare myself to my peers. They are mostly doing very well. For the 6 years i spent olaying and obsessing a video game I could have learned a language.

For the hours i poured over memorizing abstract rules, I could have fixed my abysmal math.

I dont know. This is one of the very few times ive tried to put my thoughts down and ask for help but its jumbled.

In short: yes I do.

>>17811983
I would say he is an exception than a rule.
>>
>>17811983
This. A hobby is fine, but it isn't a hobby anymore if that's all you do. Game addiction can be tough to get rid of though.

However if you have enough pride, really enjoy gaming 24/7 and are able to manage financially, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're happy.

If you really aren't happy and are unwillingfully addicted to gaming, find help/therapy.
>>
>>17812007
Do you really WANT to fix your abysmal math and learn a language?

You need ambition and motivation to do these things.
>>
>>17812007
Well I don't think you need to, the most valuable thing we have is time, and how we spend it is at our discretion. Don't go through life comparing yourself to others, because you are not them. Enjoy your time doing what you love, with the people you love. All else comes second. Shit dude would you really want to live in a world where everyone has the same career, hobbies, escapes, everything? No fuck that. There is nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself, in fact I would encourage it, but that does not entail comparing yourself to the person a or person b, and feeling bad cause "society says that admirable or cool" fuck them. You got the time you got and don't waste it being sad for petty reasons. The fact that you able to sit here and complain on /adv/ is testament to the things you have that others wish for, foolishly as well.
>>
The only shame here is Game Workshop's ever increasing prices. I think I saw a Terminator squad for like 75 bucks. What the actual fuck, it's five tiny pieces of plastic.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.