[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't want to admit depression?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0193.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0193.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I think I am depressed but don't want to admit it. I feel so shitty all the time. Low energy, sad mood, so sluggish.

Where is my energy? I have to call out if work so often because of this. I feel like depression can't be medicated though.

Isn't depression something the depressed person has to sort out? Please help me.

Been months since I felt good. Almost a year. All I want to do is sleep which isn't how I want to live my life.

Good thing is I am NOT suicidal.
>>
It's better if you can sort it out without medication. That doesn't mean you have to sort it out by yourself. Nor does it mean that medication wouldn't be helpful. For some it's actually the best option because you can sort all you want but if your brain is being a dick you're still gonna have dat chemical imbalance.

Anyway. Any thoughts as to what might be the cause? It's ok if you can't pinpoint anything. Might not be anything there to pinpoint. If there is though, that's a good place to start.
>>
Have you tried weed?
>>
>>17807204
I think what's crippling me is being dissatisfied with my job. As well as just being generally lonely. I have friends that ask me to come out though and I usually just say no because I feel like crap.

I am also just so tired even after getting 8 hours sleep. Nothing excites me anymore and everything besides sleeping feels like a chore.
>>
>>17807223
Any viable solutions for whatever it is you're dissatisfied with at work?

And dating. What're your thoughts and feels in that area?
>>
>>17807226
I think the only viable solution for that job situation is to get a new job. The stress at my current job can be unreal because higher ups don't get that we are under staffed.

As far as dating. I would like to date more but people tell me you should not date unless your life is already good. Dating while your life is fucked is not good.

I also am pretty messed up over having to cut contact with a girl who friend zoned me. Since then, I have not dated
>>
File: printer.jpg (37KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
printer.jpg
37KB, 640x627px
>I think I am depressed but don't want to admit it.
Why not? The alternative is staying where and how you are just now.

>Where is my energy?
Depression is both the result and cause of low energy

>I feel like depression can't be medicated though.
Nope. Though the side effects and symptoms can be addressed and treated through medication.

>Isn't depression something the depressed person has to sort out?
Yup.

>Please help me.
Preventative and reactive treatment for depression and the, for lack of a better word, cure are the same:

>Regular exercise
>Regular sunshine
>Regular social interaction with peers
>Good diet
>Good sleep

Regular altruism is also highly effective in something like 95% of people.

If you're depressed for more than a couple weeks and you haven't suffered recent trauma then you're almost certainly lacking in one or more of those areas. Fix them and you fix yourself.

You'll get 9001 bullshit replies saying "Think like this" "You've got to give up mental thought Y" etc but there is no magic in mentality- it's just an extension and part of the body after-all.

Fix your body and your mind fixes itself.

Yours sincerely- guy who was happy but depressed for close to 18 years and fixed himself within a month.
>>
>>17807261
Getting fit helps but not if you legitimately have a mental illness but if it's just a bad attitude problem you can get over that shit right quick
>>
File: 1477224822238.jpg (696KB, 2007x1304px) Image search: [Google]
1477224822238.jpg
696KB, 2007x1304px
Also for what it's worth, it was mostly hormonal for me- particularly low testosterone and possibly thyroid.

Like I said, sunshine, sleep and diet are all key because they positively affect almost all of your hormones, but regular exercise is probably the single biggest thing. Within a month of joining a gym and strength training every day or other day I was upbeat, full of energy and mentally clear all day whereas before I had mental lethargy- like a cloud of fog in my mind all the time, and i'd react like a dick to everyone and everything- or just give up on tasks and procrastinate/video games/wank.

Meditation is something I didn't mention but it's absolutely fantastic for depression because it lets you understand exactly why you feel like shit.

Again:
>Regular exercise
>Regular sunshine
>Regular social interaction with peers
>Good sleep
>Good diet

Anything else, including medication, is bullshit or a bad idea.
>>
>>17807223
Sounds like depression. I'd recommend starting to see a psychologist and definitely making sure you get enough sleep, regular sleeping rhythm, exercise, don't drink much if any alcohol.

All that healthy living stuff won't make the depression magically go away, but neglecting them WILL make the depression much worse meaning getting back on track will be much much much harder. So making sure you force yourself to stick to a healthy lifestyle is an important factor in getting over depression. It helps you have the energy you need to tackle the illness.
>>
File: foodcont1.jpg (2MB, 5078x2916px) Image search: [Google]
foodcont1.jpg
2MB, 5078x2916px
>>17807262
Well that all depends how you define mental illness, and then you're just arguing semantics rather than treating it.

Depression is, by definition, mental illness through circumstance and lifestyle- just as obesity boils down to "taking in more calories than you expend", depression boils down to "hormones and mood balance, and balance of energy reserves and expenditure throughout the day" they both stem from and respond to lifestyle and how you live.

For obesity you might prescribe gastric bypass because the person is so far gone or so unwilling or unable to help themselves

For depression you prescribe medication which more than half of patients respond to negatively because again, they're unwilling or unable to treat themselves or so far gone.

There is no difference with a mental or physical illness because in reality they're both physical/chemical.

I know this from experience, and from reading quite heavily into various areas while I was treating myself.
>>
File: foodcont2.jpg (588KB, 2604x2549px) Image search: [Google]
foodcont2.jpg
588KB, 2604x2549px
>>17807223
I'm
>>17807261

You sound exactly like who and where I was a few years ago.

Mental cloudiness, lethargic all day, not unhappy but can't be bothered to do anything, the few interactions I had throughout the day went poorly or just glided by because I was so disinterested and uninvolved in everything etc

You're describing depression all the way. Treat yourself. You'll be surprised how quickly and radically your mood, attitude and energy will change.
>>
>>17807281
>treat yourself
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>17807259
Start looking around for something else then. Don't leave your current job before you have a new job lined up, and give your current employer enough notice to find a replacement.
^That's conventional wisdom. This, however:
>people tell me you should not date unless your life is already good.
is horseshit that's been getting paraded as conventional wisdom. The whole "fix your shit before dating" thing applies to recovering alcoholics and people who keep ending up in abusive relationships. That's all. I don't know when it got twisted into something more or how the fuck it actually caught on but unless there's a clear risk of falling back into dangerous old habits as a direct result, dating when you want to start dating again is a *good idea*.

Pardon my ranting, that one just really needs more light thrown onto it. We're a highly social species. The "you shouldn't NEED anybody but yourself to be happy" line is nonsensical and does way more harm than good.

And this anon >>17807261 knows his shit.
>10/10, solid information, would recommend
>>
Thanks for the help everyone. I will try the advice. The whole lack of energy thing really chews at me though. Will try to fix that.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.