[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seachange?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: ladytravel.jpg (61KB, 489x640px) Image search: [Google]
ladytravel.jpg
61KB, 489x640px
Hi /adv/ I was going to go on /b/ to ask this but I realised that would probably be fruitless, or would derail into banana guy and spiderman.

I'm late 20s, over two years into practising as a lawyer and I'm feeling a constricting, depressing sense of my youth and life being wasted. I just kept my head down and grinded through all uni whilst being smothered in family bullshit and keeping to myself. No girlfriend, no excitement, no adventure and no good memories. I mean, I had fun and have a great group of friends and co-workers but it's not enough.

I thought life would kick in and I'd be happy but it never came. How silly I was to think that it would happen without doing anything fun or dangerous, but I guess I was fooled by movies and TV where everyone has a happy ending and some serendipitous encounter will lead to true love. God that sounds stupid when you actually write it out. I thought optimism was a virtue, but it's just a crutch that slowly lures you away from where you need to be.

Sorry to go on. The sum total of things is I Want w to do something different and stupid and leave it all behind.

What would you do? I want to do something crazy like leave for south America or Europe (ausfag) and see what happens. I'm just completely ignorant of what I can do and where. I've got no dependents or anything I can't leave behind. Thank you for any help.
>>
Changing where you live will only temporarily distract you from some underlying issue or trauma you're not dealing with.

You have to realize that in the real world, the only person you can rely on is yourself. It's all a game really. As you acquire more wealth and age, you'll have the external appearance and trappings of a happy life. But true happiness comes from within.
>>
>>17806940
thats a bad idea and you won't be any happier for it. Youll reach your destination in excitment and then quickly end up broke, miserable and depressed in foreign lands with no way back.

Find a goal and persue it. Be it financial success, a family, or seeing the world.

Dont just throw caution to the wind, have a real plan, make sure your needs can be taken care of and if it falls through you have a way out. dont make the last 20 years meaningless because it wasnt the adventure you hoped it would be.

Instead sit down and have a serious think about what you want out of your existence, and make it happen.

Whats it sounds like you have is just a whim.
>>
>>17806940
Have heard this before. You don't make a more exciting life by escaping your current one. Prepare yourself for a midlife crisis.
>>
Don't you dare OP. Unless you have a solid plan with solid money coming in after you land in wherever the fuck it is you're thinking of going. I've done this. I literally packed my shit up and up an left one autumn day.
Worst mistake of my life. I believed all that life passed me by bullshit and stuck to it through to the very end but as other anons have pointed out, the excitment fades and you're left with problems you had that you chose not to handle when you were stable and living comfortably. Maybe it will kickstart your self improvement when you fail miserably or maybe you become a drug addicted wreck like me and take 12000 steps backwards. Kismet doesn't love you OP. You're 1 in 7 billion. Be very careful.
>>
Thanks for the replies guys. I knew I was running the risk of receiving some actual constructive and real advice rather than "Go become a missionary in Mozambique!"

I'm really unsure then. It's tough to have a hobby or a goal when you work so much, and you're just exhausted all the time. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Does everyone have a goal or a drive that makes you feel good, or does everyone just suffer in silence. I sound so emo but I'm struggling to see what it is that we can do
>>
>>17806969

Sorry to hear man, but thanks for the advice. My defining character trait has been being sensible, and a significant part of me had already considered that might happen.
>>
>>17806997
Make time. Schedule it out. Do things you enjoy even if you're tired. Or rest. Just listen to yourself. Your true self. Ignore what other people are doing. "Escaping" is a true disservice to yourself.
>>
>>17806997
I know of the grind and how it can turn you into a zombie slogging through day by day.

I work in a factory that gets up to 120 degrees in my department, and have to work 12 hour shifts with more than my liking of mandatory overtime.

What personally gets me through it all is that i come home to a loving fiancé, and I bust my ass so that she doesnt have too. She in turn keeps the homefront looking great and a hot meal ready for me when my day is done.

But even before she was part of my life, that was my dream. I was working my days knowing that each cent i saved was building up to the family i was looking for.

I cant tell you what you want out of life OP, but makong a huge move overseas on a whim destroys a lot of the options you have in your life. It cuts you off from a mountain of choices you can make, and there would be no going back.

You have a dream, im sure. Take the time to sort it out.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.