[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Commitment fear manifesting in weird ways

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: lonely_forest_by_xphan-d5igm3a.jpg (136KB, 1142x699px) Image search: [Google]
lonely_forest_by_xphan-d5igm3a.jpg
136KB, 1142x699px
20s male here

So I have a fear of commitment, and I don't know how to fix it.

I had girlfriend for 3 years in college, got dumped on my ass, then fell *harder* for another girl a year later, and then got dumped on my ass again. This 2nd girl has been to this day 'perfect' in my eyes. (this was 2 years ago)

I've been hooking up with girls since then via tinder/bumble/parties to try and get over them, and got my count way past 50, and I just don't know what the fuck to do with myself emotionally. Sometimes I'll have sex with a girl and feel depressed as fuck afterwards. Sometimes I'll have sex with a girl, feel great afterwards, and then subconsciously sabotage it by saying trolly shit so she doesn't try to commit to me.

I'll feel lonely if i withdraw from girls- but then i'll feel 'caged' if a girl gets too close. i'm afraid of dating a girl who will probably fuck my shit up again, so I'm staying emotionally distant and aloof. most of the times i just feel empty. on top of this, the other pains that come with aging, like having close friends go distant, hearing about uncles, aunts, and grandparents dying, all the political shit going on in the world, i just feel overwhelmed and that i'm being drowned by life.

how do i fix myself so i can have healthy relationships with women again? am i gay? was it all ruined the moment I lost my virginity, and I'll never be able to pair bond again? am i broken?
>>
>>17806260
Avoidant personality disorder. You fear abandonment and so maintain control by abandoning others before they can abandon you.

Could be borderline but you don't sound manipulative and histrionic enough

Could be covert schizoid judging by the emptiness, but 'real' schizoids tend to be pretty rare, and the hypersexual schizoid rarer still

t. armchair psychologist
>>
>>17806260
Why the hell would you even want to commit? Haven't you learned anything through Tinder and other crap? Most women are sluts and/or whores. Commitment is very dangerous and it is totally normal to be afraid.

Don't rush it. Wait until you find a woman that seems actually trustworthy. And it won't be easy to find her.
>>
>>17806286
OP here I actually did see a psych for a bit and he straight up told me I was avoidant

didn't help me get through it though the fucker

how do i fix this
>>
Sounds like you should probably withdraw from the whole 'women' thing for a while, in order to find out some more shit about yourself.

I think whether you like it or not, sex is always about some form of closeness. Even drunken ONS, which people often assume are devoid of meaning, are actually meaningful in many ways.

Take some time for yourself, it's okay to feel empty but there's good empty and bad empty. I'm similar to you and I can say that I'm much happier dating/loving less often and taking more time for myself.

I wouldn't worry too much about avoidance or commitment or deep shit, be more light-hearted. You might find yourself quite insecure, but just keep on working and you'll be fine.
>>
>>17806312
Well, a better psych is one possibility, you're supposed to find one you can work with personally, they aren't a 'one size fits all' like a doctor prescribing an allergy pill

But unfortunately, personality disorders are so pervasive that general 'self-improvement' is usually a pipe dream. With avoidants, what is generally most helpful for them is to have someone to provide assistance with concrete goals as they occur, and getting through situations and acclimatizing yourself to the fact you aren't universally hated. You might still FEEL hated, but if you have someone available to 'reality check' you, it's easier to overcome the 'oh fuck social stress abandon ship' impulse and get back to fulfilling your goals rather than bowing to fears.

This 'reality checker' doesn't have to be a psych, but I think friendship is currently direly suffering in this day and age and I can't assume you have an unconditional friend available (and even if you DO, it's likely you can't recognize them as such due to your self-loathing mindset).

Sorry if that's not encouraging but it's 'true' to the best of my armchair psychologist knowledge.
>>
>>17806260

as you get older you commit less.

becuase you are now aware that girls arent special. the younger you are the more special any girl seems for no reason other than shes 1) attractive and 2) into you.

but you realize she wasn't that much different tha nother girls. there ARE special girls but as you get older you just get better at seeing who is special and 'worth it' and who is not.

some people miss this becuase even though they get older and have dated more girls they are still simply co dependent. you are are not. you got some emotional stuff but if i had to guess you will work those out, reach your self actualization point, and then be content being you until the /right/ girl comes along.

I'm a lot like you im just not emotional about it.
>>
>>17806312
I feel like I relate to some of your experiences, though my numbers aren't as high as yours.

It is really easy to feel like if you avoid getting close to people emotionally that it will somehow protect you from getting hurt. However I know that it can just open you up to other forms of hurt. Ending up in situations where you don't feel valued or like you are being true to yourself, having one sided experiences with people... I got lucky and found someone who I can talk to about the trust/commitment issues, fear of being left and they want to make an effort to trust them. But I know everyone is not that lucky.

In the end you gotta make the effort to confront these issues head on...casual sex is just a way of covering them up. Therapy can help to an extent, but you also have to be honest with yourself about these things. Either you should probably stop these casual sexual encounters especially because they can make you feel depressed after, or if you find someone you really like you can make the plunge and try to work through it as you go (but that might end badly).

There is no easy solution. But if you let people from your past mess up the relationships you have now you are doing yourself a great disservice.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.