[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: goeff crai.gif (180KB, 300x142px) Image search: [Google]
goeff crai.gif
180KB, 300x142px
Hey /adv/isors
I'm graduating from college in 3 weeks. The jobs I have lined up are for overnight stocking at Kmart for $8 an hour, and a youth center for $10 an hour. I'll be working 16 hours a day, but making less than $20 an hour overall.

How do I get a better job? I was a fucking idiot and my major isn't marketable. So I know I can't really fall back on it.
But even with hands-on labor or general stuff.
How do I get a good adult job?
>>
>>17802689
Warehouse work. Forklift operator. Construction. All three of these jobs have a wide array of applications so there's a multitude of fields that require them
>>
>>17802698
also problem is I live in the suburbs.
Closest city is Philly but it's an hour away
>>
>>17802703
I take it you have no transportation?

Get transportation. Work the highest paying job you can find within your transportation means and save up money to get a car and insurance. Then look for another job.

I used to drive 120 miles a day round trip for work. I just graduated college and I needed a job so I took it. I worked there for a year while I looked for another job. Luckily now I work about 10 miles away.
>>
>>17802712
I have a car and insurance

and makes sense I guess.
>>
>>17802689

aim for office work. offices have a lot more room for advancement than most other companies.

I was a receptionist when i started, now i manage the whole business. still only making 15 an hour, but as i improve the business i get more and more.
>>
>>17802844
sounds like that could also work well
I know when I was an intern at a foreclosure firm, I was paid $11 an hour. Just as an intern
>>
Any degree can be marketable.

Also expand your horizons. Like say you majored in history. You might think your only choice is museum or teacher. You can be an HR employee for the history channel. You can work in sports as part of their stadium tours. You can work at your local mayors office of historical landmarks. And don't be afraid to send out resumes to jobs that are a little reach.
>>
>>17802958
Criminal justice, aka Criminology
it's not marketable. It works really well for pre-law or to be a cop. That's it.
>>
>>17802984
Look into Police Dispatching.
The job itself only requires a high school diploma, but the degree will be looked highly upon. Truth be told, the only thing that will matter is your personality and how well you accomplish their tests. Out of 300 candidates that tested for typing speed, the ability to multitask and remember information from passages read to me, I was 2nd and I was their 3rd overall on their hire list.

Did that for two years
>year one probation on day shift
>year two was overnight work where I did 1/10th of the work as days, but shit schedule

And that gave me a nice police records job where I work 8-4 and it's zero stress. Dispatching jobs are always hiring due to people quitting over stress and no respect from cops, firefighters, paramedics, the media and general public. But it starts out around 40k.
>>
>>17803019
Holy fuck anon how do I get this job?
I want to drop out of college right now and do that
>>
>>17803019
well damn
>>
>>17803029
>Dispatching jobs are always hiring due to people quitting over stress and no respect from cops, firefighters, paramedics, the media and general public.

>Holy fuck anon how do I get this job?
>I want to drop out of college right now and do that

I laughed. Look into "Dispatcher" roles on either your county, state or city's official website.

Depending on what area you look into, it might be centralized, but large
>City of Chicago's Police Dispatch
Cover a wide area, but small population
>County Dispatch or State Radio Dispatch
Cover suburban areas with large populations
>Multi-City Dispatch

Again though. I wasn't joking about the stress thing. I took over 8000 911 calls alone in my first year on the job, had many people (children and police officers) die on me. And after finishing one, you're expected to go immediately to the other right away. You talk to so many sucidal people you'll start to turn yourself. Then an officer comes in to tell you about the one trip he had to go on, that you took the call for, about how it's messed up and how he's going to be messed up for a while. Even though he was on that for six hours and you handled 80 other events since then.

Then he gets two weeks off, paid. All the while it didn't mean shit to you, because you're just a glorified receptionist and not truly the "first, first-responder".

Jesus, I'm still mad.
>>
>>17803071
I'm in America, Florida
I was asking more about specific things I'd need

I really questioning staying in college and dispatching seems like a decent job for me.

I'd be dispatching in Miami area though so I'd imagine I'd get some awful stuff
>>
Why don't you apply for work at an ABC? Or were your grades shit too?

Sales/telemarketing jobs will hire you. They are shit, but at least you can bonus a grand or two a month on top of your 10/hr.
>>
>>17803071
I worked in the Philadelphia DA's office for a bit
Trust me, I know the feel.
I sit there listening to my boss offer either a life sentence or death penalty to a guy who is terrified, probably innocent, but could never win in trial

nothing like seeing a boss pushing for someone to get life in prison while an old professor tries to plea their innocence while you sit in the middle of the benches in back trying not to show allegiance to either
because a man's life lay in the balance, but no one seems to care about him. just the case
>>
>>17803114

P.S. ICE was pretty desperate compared to other PDs as of 6 months ago, if you are seriously considering a police job.
>>
>>17803090
You don't need anything. The role is really about what kind of a person you are. Like I said above, you don't even need a high school degree.

You just need to pass whatever testing required from that city, state or government organization. Mine was a type test, a remember specifics about what was told to you test, and read and respond to these, while a large noise buzzes in your other ear and tells you to do something else immediately test.

Now
>Florida

I know about dispatch facilities in Florida. I'm from the west coast though. One of my peers moved from there and she works in a conciliated place.

What the ideal candidate would have for there is knowledge of the geographic area. Especially due to the sheer amount of bodies of water. When people call 911, then don't know where the fuck they are. And you don't have a magic phone tracking system that tells you either (the one you do have sucks). So you need to be able to use maps and your own understanding of the area to figure that out. And figure that out when somebody is dying, fast.

Now, what I said about the starting pay of 40k is probably not going to happen in Florida. That center my old coworker came from was a shit-show and exactly how media would picture a 911 facility to be, sassy-black ladies and all. Large multilayered building with cubbies of people taking calls from all over the state. Only paid shit like 17bucks too.

Good news about facilities like that though is that you don't have major interoperabilitiy between different agencies. Like mine was in the middle of five different jurisdictions, so I had to monitor all of their traffic and echo anything important for my officers.

In that place, you likely won't even have to do that, since at most channels will be dedicated and you won't have to take 911 calls and Dispatch at the same time. Less pay, but less stress and multitasking.
>>
>>17803148
I fucked up. Meant that the only thing you require is the high school degree.
>>
>>17803114
Im complete shit on the phone.
My grades are average, 3.4 GPA
not the smartest, not an idiot
>>
>>17802984

LOL which I was majoring in Criminal Justice and not geophysics. I plan to be a cop when i graduate college and some day SWAT.GG op might as well go for the masters now or go into police dispatching. At least the degree will give you a pay raise.
>>
>>17803164
>>17803148
So you're saying I should give up? I'm just some idiot shut in college kid?
>>
>>17803188
Im applying to law schools now
since I'm graduating in december, ill have ~9 months until law school starts. That's 9 months to work and earn money to try not to fall into total debt

and damn dude geophysics? I always wanted to go into earth sciences but never felt smart enough
wanna swap degrees and life tracks?
>>
File: GOAL.jpg (149KB, 540x357px) Image search: [Google]
GOAL.jpg
149KB, 540x357px
>>17803220
Earth science is honestly the easiest science next to environmental sciences. The upper div geo classes have been really easy. Dont know if its because im good at geo or theyre like that. The math is whats a tough because math courses arent regulated at uni. If you get a shit professor hopefully you pass.

Law school sounds dope and I considered it during my freshman and sophomore year. But I knew junior year that college was a meme and SWAT is where its at.
>>
>>17803250
Enviro was easy as shit when I took it

And I mean law is soulless.
SWAT will 100% scar you
honestly, just work SWAT in a city.
Ive met people who have done small town swat. Nothing worse than raiding a meth lab and seeing your best friend's nephew strung out. Or worse, shooting at you so you have to shoot back
>>
>>17803250
>SWAT

Better start doing those hour long horse stance squats now. Good news is you will always have a fine looking ass if you work SWAT.
>>
>>17803250
>>17803272

It would sound appealing if most PDs didn't have a 2 year wait time, and then another 2-5 year "on the job" time requirements for SWAT or detective. Shit's comical.
>>
>>17803287
Detective is worth it though. What's awful is if it's a rolling position, where you work it for two years and then you're put back on patrol and another officer comes in and gets that training and has the roll.
>>
>>17803019
This. But it just takes fucking forever to get hired. It can take 3-6 months
>>
>>17803410
That's true of any civil service job though.
It has to go to a commission of fuckers that are paid 2.5times their normal pay to sit in a room and talk about killing that one guy that won't shut up about star wars.
>>
>>17803130
Better than being an air marshal?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.