[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quit Gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: uLyTqBm.png (237KB, 706x534px) Image search: [Google]
uLyTqBm.png
237KB, 706x534px
I raged a lot playing Overwatch today, same as I've been doing for ~4 years in different games, and I decided to quit gaming.

Since I discovered Counter-Strike, most of my life has been spent watching/reading about or playing videogames. Just sitting idly watching Twitch streams or trying to improve in a game because I wanted to get the feel of being good at something, although I know skill in a videogame is worthless.

I've always known that it's something bad for me, and I want to actually quit it for good. I just uninstalled all the gaming related stuff from my computer, boommarks, files, images... everything. I'm tired of being asked what my hobbies are and trying to hide that I spend 12+ hours watching and thinking about games that are of zero use in real life, just as a form of escapism.

The problem is... now what do I do? I guess I could start studying more, reading literature, watch a movie a day... but somehow I feel dread of it, like I'm already bored. I've become too dependent on gaming as a hobby. Anybody has tips on what to do now? How not to relapse? Things I could spend my time on now?
>>
Force yourself to do it. Make a routine. Also go outside, get some fresh air.
>>
That's me too. I think I might negate the feeling by getting deep into something else that can be competitive. I'm choosing industry because of the money and gaining the ability to be productive and improve things.
>>
It's because video games are a very easy form of pleasure, they're very easy to sit at for long periods of time trying to get better, and they desensitize you to other hobbies, so trying other things feels boring and uninteresting.

The only way is to have discipline and ween yourself off them and focus on something else you're interested in. You have to do whatever it is (reading drawing making canoes) reliably day after day for awhile to get yourself in to the habit of doing it every day. The longer you go without vidya the easier it will be.

At least that's been my experience. I still play video games but I no longer have that urge to play them above everything else. I used to play some competitively and always wanted to play pro but never had the proper opportunities (internet, mostly) and eventually had to admit to myself it wouldn't happen. Since that realisation I still like training and getting better but I don't devote my entire night to playing. I just focus on enjoying myself.
>>
i stopped gaming thinking i could do something better. its been 9 months and all i do is wait for the next day to come. im getting a new pc soon to play lol.
>>
Can you really get benefit from reading books? It seems like it's a waste of time as video games.
>>
>>17798446
>>17798479
The other thing I feel kinda passionate about is films. I like reading critics, I got a list of classic movies and directors I want to watch and a while ago I wanted to start watching a movie daily. But it's also a hobby that I would mostly do in front of my computer alone, apart from going to the cinema with friends every few weeks. The other thing I do is study languages, but yet again, it's mostly an alone and indoors activity. Guess I should try to find something outdoors, any suggestions apart from exercising?

>>17798453
Yeah I thought I should channel my competitiveness into something else more productive, no idea what. I'm too old and unfit to get into competitive sports now.

>>17798485
That's sad to read, are you ok? Don't know if gaming and a new PC are the solutions you need, but hopefully you'll be better.

>>17798501
Well I've always wanted to culturize myself in various mediums, I'm intrigued by literature and one third of university degree is about it (languages/literature) so I don't think it's as much of a waste of time. Also it's not all literature, there's also useful non-fiction books and philosophy
>>
>>17798516
>philosophy
>useful
Not really, unless your degree is tied with it.
Besides I was talking more about this - you read the book, you know the story and that's it. The same concept as beating video game.
>>
>>17798533
Well I personally have always felt curious about reading more, so at the very least I'd like to try it out. Everybody has different tastes.

The thing is I didn't really play videogames to "beat" them, like single player campaigns, stories and so on, I played mostly multiplayer competitive games, with the objective of getting better, winning more than losing and climbing a ranking system. This made me a really toxic person (both inside and outside the game), bitter and just negative emotions all around, despite the easy endorphins.

Just sitting and reading a book is nowhere near what I experienced with games.
>>
>>17798554
I'd like to read books more (I've read about +100 of them) but I struggle to see any benefit from them apart crossing some list or personal achievement.
>>
>>17798564
idk man everybody finds benefits and pleasure in different things
>>
Yeah I feel the same way OP.

Like I'm wanting to hit a decent mmr in dota 2 but at the same time it's really worthless. I've already made a commitment to this and if I back out now then it'll be just another added to my "giving up list" list. Not sure what to do really...
>>
>>17798632
Damn, I feel the exact same way, I feel as if giving up gaming, then it's just another excuse for me not being good at it, and that I give up on everything.

But gotta think about it critically. What is the point of having a good MMR? Will you have a date with someone, or meet some new friends and be like "yeah I'm 7k MMR"? Yeah you can make friends through gaming, but desu I made none apart from the IRL ones I knew from before that also played.

We're not going to be pros, it just simply won't happen, if I had the talent to be one, it'd have already happened after so many years and different games. I can't put in that work. Is that bad? I don't think I should beat myself down for "giving up" on some pipedream of being good at kiling pixes in a screen.

For me gaming is a way to pursue excellence and become good at something. Well, it's obvious that I should channel those feelings into something more productive, of which I can be proud and will lead me to a healthier lifestyle (socializing more, sharing, or w/e)

idk, obv it's not the same way for everybody than to me, but I've noticed that gaming became a toxic thing in my life and an addiciton that I should just quit.
>>
>>17798444
You should just break your gaming addiction down bit by bit and not just fully quit in 1 day. It will be much more effective and easier that way
>>
>>17798669
And how is that? Maybe start playing single player games casually and limit the hours I spend in twitch/youtube consuming gaming content?
>>
>>17798653
Guys I did the same thing after WoW and I haven't played a video game in any meaningful capacity since.

I think you're making the right choice. Be advised though that pretty much everything else in life is difficult compared to playing video games. Like another poster already said, video games are accessible, competitive, etc. They're also pretty free compared to anything else other than bird watching.

Also, other hobbies are just as "useless," at least that's what I've found. I lift weights in my free time to stay healthy and be attractive. That hobby makes sense.

But what about "writing" or "canoe making" or "snow boarding?" Can we really say that those hobbies are any more "useful" than video games unless we publish a best selling novel or some shit? That's the problem I'm running into.

OK so you "paint." So the fuck what? Oooo look, paints.

If you want to play video games as a hobby (not an obsession, but a hobby) then I say it's about as useful as most other things... except weight lifting and exercise. Everyone should have that "hobby."
>>
File: internet-party.jpg (56KB, 598x398px) Image search: [Google]
internet-party.jpg
56KB, 598x398px
>>
File: 1464801350100.jpg (122KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464801350100.jpg
122KB, 1080x720px
I think I am addicted as well. Got GE in CS in 250 wins, played against several pro's, most people I played with are still playing, one guy is working, so he has simply no time for gaming.

In spite of that fact that I haven't been playing for a long time, well, more than a year, it still has consequences. Not sure if I played because I was severely depressed, or I was depressed because the only thing I was doing is playing. Now I fucking struggle with academics and I am not able to learn even the most simple shit, however I still managed to get into top university. I feel physical discomfort while studying, and of course, nothing is interesting to me anymore.
>>
>>17798653
Yeah idk for me its like an internal battle so I can prove to myself that I'm competent in something and capable of going beyond being average.
>>
>>17799007
same for me but we need to find something more worthy to try and go beyond in that just some fucking computer game

the thing is in a game you can see your progress with rankings, mmrs and statistics, so it gives that sense of accomplishment much easier
>>
>>17799366
yeah shit if we can't go beyond being average in a vidya game then we're definitely fucked m8
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.