[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression and Family

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 1480026858105.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1480026858105.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
I'm 27, and I've had depression for literally as long as I can remember. I have ups and downs, but it's been steadily getting worse recently over the past year or so.

I don't know what it is, but whenever I visit my parents, I always feel worse at the end of the day. Note that I have a good relationship with my family; it's not like we all hate each other. Quite the opposite, actually, and that's very obvious. Despite this, I feel worse when all is said and done.

Just yesterday, we had 17 people over for Thanksgiving. My parents, my 4 brothers, two fiances, my nephew, his grandparents, and various friends who are closer to us than their own family all sat down together for dinner, hung out, and genuinely had a good time. Except me. I just wanted to go home and really, do nothing, but I didn't. I went, put on a happy face, and left after everyone crashed.

I just felt like crying the whole way home, and its not the first time. Even now, I'm just sitting on my bed. I have off work on a Friday night, and I don't want to do anything.

I just don't know anymore.
>>
I don't like being with my Parents because they are caricatures of humanity. My siblings are alright though. If you like your family though, your probably just having a moodswing. And if you're living with depression, you should learn how to recognize and manage your moodswings if you dont already.
>>
>>17796441
I can't speak for feeling bad around family (I do too, but for different reasons to you) but I've also had depression for over a decade and recently it's been getting really really bad. After years of putting it off due to anxiety I called up the doctor's office, made and appointment and within a couple of hours I've got some anti depressants to try. It's too early to tell if they'll be effective, but the whole process was so much less stressful than my mind made it out to be, you're basically guided through every little step with zero judgement. It was methodical and clinical, it required little emotional engagement. If similar things are putting you off seeing a doctor then I would say just go for it, it will be nowhere as bad as you can imagine.
>>
>>17796468
I'm a strong critic of anti-depressants. I think they fuck up your brain. I think alot can be done about depression from a mindfulness standpoint. If your sad or crying and you cant identify a reasonable source then your probably experiencing a moodswing.
>>
>>17796482
I avoided them for as long as possible but after 10 years of trying to fix myself, going to therapists, and continuing to not see results I know this is not going to be fixed without some other help. Several family members of mine have used antidepressants in the past and they only have good things to say about them. In the end though, it is your choice and choice will always be there.
>>
>>17796468
>>17796482
>>17796505

Being an amerifag, I can't actually afford insurance, and by extension therapy and meds, so the point is moot.

>>17796452

I have nothing against my parents. They have their flaws, but they're good people. I could have had much worse in that department. I've seen it.

As for mood swings, I can recognize them. It doesn't help.
>>
First off I'll ask if your male or female to determine how much bootstrapping I'll recommend.
>>17796505
Modern life sucks ass and we have all sorts of chemical exposure just from living on the planet at this point in history that is fucking us up neurologically, I dont advise doubling down. If you do decide to do i anyway I'd be curious if you'd actually notice a positive change or just give the answer that you do when asked.

>>17796518
If you recognize them you can always manage your behavior to mitigate them. Half the problem of neurological disorders is you dont know what the fuck is going on with you. An analogy would be breaking a leg and trying to go on your evening jog and not understanding why your screaming.
>>
>>17796547

I'm male.

Recognizing them only goes so far. I've been dealing with depression since I was like 6, which is when I went to therapy for the first time. I went hen until I was maybe 14 to several different ones over those years, none of which helped.
>>
>>17796556
I've also had depressive mood swings since I was young. I've gone to a few therapists but my experience was mostly them determining if I was suicidal. I've seen the most success by getting fit and eating better and quarantining my destructive moodswings into less awful things. If I feel like complete shit and everything sucks I'll go to the DQ and get a #2 combo with a frosty and try to relax for a while.
>>
File: smoking.jpg (139KB, 494x482px) Image search: [Google]
smoking.jpg
139KB, 494x482px
>>17796591

A few years ago, I tried getting fit, losing weight, eating better, ect, and I did. I was down 70lbs, and you know what? It didn't help. I was still miserable, arguably worse at times, and now I'm worse than ever.
>>
File: 1469787551604.png (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1469787551604.png
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>17796621
You forgot to train your self-esteem
>>
>>17796627

I didn't, though. I went through the whole fake it till you make it process, paying attention to self talk, and all that other crap.
>>
File: 1476908452044.jpg (224KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1476908452044.jpg
224KB, 1300x1300px
>>17796637
>I'm worse than ever

Sounds like you have more to do
>>
>>17796621
>>17796637
I hear this all the time on the chans and it always confused me. I felt so much better and energetic and ejoyed sex and women alot more after fitness then before. It feels great being a superior male specimen and previously being a goodfornothing made me appreciate it all the more.
>>
>>17796648

I still never had success with women when I was losing weight, but that wasn't my goal. I just wanted to feel happy for once, and I had tried everything else at that point. In the end, I realized that I just wasn't happy, and the more I pushed, the more consistently unhappy I became, despite trying to tell myself otherwise. By all accounts, I should have been happy. I had friends, I had a life, I had a job I liked, I was losing weight and getting into shape, and yet, I was miserable.

No matter how much I told myself I wasn't. No matter how much I said things were going well and looking up. No matter how many people told me I was looking great or when my friend said he saw girls checking me out, at the end of the line, I wasn't happy.

After that, everything fell apart. Lost my job, my friends, my apartment, most of my stuff because I had to leave it behind, and now I'm slowly spiraling into oblivion.
>>
>>17796694
Sounds like you had a mood swing and didn't check your shit and let it wreck you.
>>
>>17796441
Thing about depression is you can get over it and have a normal life but the things that caused it in the first place and all the horrible memories never go away, they haunt you forever making you dobut every single good thing that ever happens and turning small things into crippling insecurity, pessimism, defeatism and you never stop considering the possibility you where wrong when you got out of it
Sure it's all fine and dandy during the day but one of these nights you are going to fall asleep too late and there is nothing there but you and your head and you have to face all this shit
>>
>>17796468
>It's too early to tell if they'll be effective
they arent
they mke you twice as likely tto commit suicide
go figure that out
>>
>>17796935
That's wonderful, but everyone I know who has taken them has responded positively.

>they mke you twice as likely tto commit suicide
I don't even give a fuck as long as they help.
>>
>>17796964
if you consder suicide help
it means they are so shitty people who would have stayd alive with depression cant stand them
but what do i know, its not like i was on them switching edications every other month for the better part of 3 years
i will be waiting for the thread you will make in 3 months about anti depressants making you want to die
i survived deprssion
and i survived ssri
and you wont
>>
>>17796981
I'm sorry that they haven't helped you and that you're still miserable. It won't happen to me though.
>>
>>17797000
I'm not miserable just bitter and hateful
Not depressed tho
Because I had the balls to fight
Shame they will kill you
Because I can tell you won't fucking survive this at all, you are not like me. You are one of those people who end up on a Facebook memorial page
>>
>>17797022
>I tuk da ssris and dindu nuffin for me
Well hey maybe its because you're not depressed you humongous retard.
>>
>>17797027
I know you are putting the big boy show but as soon as I stop replying there will be. Nothing left buy the same old screen you keep turning on and off hoping that one day it will show you something different, hoping that somehow it can offer help and you will be completely alone in a dark room with nothing to do and no way to escape
I know how you think, I know how much it hurts
>>
>>17797039
>I know how much it hurts
Yep, I can see that you really do have some problems, probably much worse than mine. All the best buddy, I hope you find your way.
>>
>>17797048
Maybe I do but I don't experience pain so bad that I lie in my bed for days begging God i can sleep a little bit longer anymore
Douchebags survive and I can tell you if you want to live you are going to have to die a little bit first
Have fun cycling through 100 different pills without feeling any difference between them until you give up and take something else
>>
Just do what my parents always said to do and "just get over it". A little repressed rage never hurt anyone.
>>
>>17796879

If it was a mood swing, it lasted a spiral of 2 months

>>17796916
>one of these days

I think you mean every day. I don't want to go to sleep because then I'm one step closer to going to work. The longer I sleep, the less time I have to spend working.
>>
>>17796441
Have you tried alcoholism?
>>
>>17797791

No, but I've thought about it. The only thing stopping me is that both my parents have had alcohol problems in the past. My dad still does, and my mom is slipping back but denying it.

I honestly don't drink much.

>>17796916

To touch up more, I know what depression does over time because I've had it for what might as well be my whole life, and I've often thought about why.

>doubt every single good thing
>small things into crippling insecurity, pessimism, defeatism
>never stop considering...you were wrong

Pretty much. It's still hard to describe exactly how it feels, but I do know that if I ever feel confident about something, it always blows up in my face.

>Sure it's all fine and dandy during the day but one of these nights you are going to fall asleep too late and there is nothing there but you and your head and you have to face all this shit

Except its rarely fine and dandy during the day. I don't think I could ever describe anything about me as fine and dandy. It feels like I'm distracted for awhile, but then it's never not there.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.