[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Choosing a Musical Instrument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Air Guitar.gif (1MB, 388x272px) Image search: [Google]
Air Guitar.gif
1MB, 388x272px
Hey /adv/, I have ZERO artistic talent; I'm all logic and if it doesn't help progress my career and/or make me money then I don't waste my time with it.

Well that's not a good mentality to have so I've decided to learn a music instrument; I've narrowed it down to three choices:

Guitar - Not sure if it's better to learn on an acoustic or electric.

Piano - Real pianos are expensive as fuck so it would be on a decent electric one

Drums - I hear somewhere that the world needs more drummers; I think they're cool but full kits are expensive so it would be an electric drum kit.

I have ZERO music experience or knowledge of music theory so I'm going in blind as a bat but I am committed to learning via lessons, self-instruction and endless practice.

Any pro/cons to each?

Piano is classy.

Drums would be the most difficult I believe.

Guitar is pretty vogue but I'd like to learn rhythm and lead then the bass.

Can you guys offer me any advice?

Any of the three would suit me just fine but someone told me that if you learn a certain type of instrument, it makes it much easier to learn others; not sure if it's true hence I'm here.
>>
>>17795115
What kind of genre do you listen to? If you listen to metal for an example you're most likely to pick up a guitar. But if you listen to dubstep for an example you would rather choose keys because it will help you make your own music. Choose drums if you listen to no specific genre at all to be honest, drums are pretty neutral to any genre so you will get a musical taste depending on what you play.
>>
>>17795115
I think you should learn the harmonica because I like harmonicas but I'm too lazy to learn myself.
>>
Silent guitar.
So you don't disturb others.
>>
>>17795134

Metal, Rock, Alt Rock, Punk.

Does that help?

I now there's tons of douchebag 'guitarists' who learn two riffs and that'a all they play.

I actually want to learn the instrument and then learn another; this grill I know can play 8 different ones and I was impressed as fuck
>>
>>17795115
>Piano is classy.
It's a classic, that doesn't make it "classy." Especially if you're gonna play keyboard.
>Drums would be the most difficult I believe.
You have it wrong. Drumming is easy, anyone can set down at a drumset and figure out a basic beat. Percussion is extremely difficult. It requires you to learn how to manipulate specific skills and learning different ways to hold your sticks, coming up with patterns on the fly, filling enough but not too much.
>Guitar is pretty vogue but I'd like to learn rhythm and lead then the bass.
Don't learn guitar. Everyone learns guitar.

What you should learn is a brass instrument. Trumpet or trombone/baritone to start.
>>
>>17795199
Try and ask the local teachers if you could get a free lesson per instrument.
>>
The whole thing about it being easier to learn other instruments is bullshit. It's probably more that when it comes easy to you to learn one instrument, you apparently have a good sense of rhythm, discipline etc and you can learn to master another one as well. But playing a string instrument is so wildly different from playing the drums or something...

Personally I don't really think your choices are the best.

>guitar
You won't get taken seriously because so many people "can play guitar" because they learned a few chords from youtube. If you want to play for your friends you're that token guitar dude (don't even think about performing Wonderwall).

>drums
Great instrument but not much potential for interesting solo stuff. If you're a good drummer that's hot, but just being an amateur drummer... not really something that people want to listen to.

>piano
Also a great instrument but as you mentioned yourself a real piano is quite expensive and keyboard isn't really the same to me. It can also be discouraging that there's such an endless wealth of great professional and amateur pianists...

I would choose piano out of those, but why not a saxophone, cello etc? Another bonus is that you enter a smaller scene, for two people to both play the trumpet creates more of a bond than it does for two people who play guitar.
>>
>>17795115
Skills can be learned.

If you have a really analytical mind, you probably want to avoid common radio shit unless that is your jam. Head to Youtube and check out Candyrat Records; acoustic guitar masters that do a fuck of a lot more with their guitars than just strum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4
>>
>>17795629
Wow that reads as being really fucking pretentious holy shit. I didn't mean it that way, I swear.
>>
I'ma go ahead and ask you why do you want to learn an instrument
Just saying I feel like I should isn't a good enough reason to me

There's a shit load of other creative hobbies out there, does music interest you or what's the reason you chose it
>>
You can't just ask the internet what you should pursue anon. You have to feel the instrument, try the one that speaks to you the most.
>>
>>17795115
learning keys first will make learning additional instruments easier
get yourself a cheap keyboard, a cajon (form of hand drum), and an acoustic guitar. craigslist is your friend
>>
Violin is a better strings instrument. Viola if you ever want to join an orchestra. Double bass could work, too.

All of your first choices are really basic, and nobody with any actual musical talent will take you seriously.
>>
>>17795115
Guitar: Always better to start with an acoustic to learn chords, scales, etc. basic things to get your fingering correct on a slightly larger fretboard.

however,

Piano: will give you a better understanding of music theory, scales are easier to learn and Piano is basically known for being one of the best instruments to learn music fundamentals in general - octaves, chord progressions, etc. that easily translate into other instruments like the guitar.

Drums: this one is your outlier, percussion is much different, and if you have ZERO musical experience or knowledge I would stick with a melodic instrument like above first.

Could go on and on about this, let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.
>>
>>17796189
t.mu faggot
>>
>>17796197
i've never browsed /mu/ actually, newfag
>>
Just play whatever you like the most.

I play the piano but i prefer the guitar and always wished i played it.

I'm gonna buy one when i have more time.

But piano is a good instrument to start learning about music theory, since it's so "visual".
>>
File: 11234.jpg (81KB, 425x420px) Image search: [Google]
11234.jpg
81KB, 425x420px
If you choose to play the guitar, don't just learn a few chords, but actually be able to play well. There are a lot of people that "play" the guitar, but not many are really good at it.
>>
>>17795115
Screw all this ghetto shit and start with a piano.
Also bats good pretty good eyesight.

>>17796189
This nigga knows what he's talking about.
>>
File: 1478048743184.gif (2MB, 255x225px) Image search: [Google]
1478048743184.gif
2MB, 255x225px
Playing guitar alone is not that good. If you are going to play mostly alone, you should buy a piano. This instrument has a full sound and doesn't need any other instrument to complement it's sound.
>>
If you play piano, you will be like the other 99 million people who just play pop songs and things like Fur Elise or River Flows in Shit. And with piano, you will eventually hit a wall, get bored with it, and stop improving. Brass, woodwind, and string instruments are the most rewarding because if you learn one of them, you can learn all of them (just don't play guitar or string bass, which has a steep learning curve). The biggest con of being a pianist is that many pianos you perform on are shitty. If you just want to learn music for the heck of it, I'd say go with piano despite the reasons above.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.