[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna leave southern california

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: mr-spock.jpg (53KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
mr-spock.jpg
53KB, 500x379px
I am bored out of my mind by the miles of suburbia and parking lot scenery. It will take me a while to get the credentials to move abroad. In the meantime where should I move in the US? Or Canada?

I've been looking at the Midwest, Hawaii, Colorado and Portland. I really want to experience another culture before I leave the USA forever which is why I'm eyeballing snowy Wyoming even though I fear I might be bored out of my mind and as a fedora with a diploma I might not enjoy talking to the fundies expect to meet.
>>
If you are bored in southern California, you will be even more bored in the Midwest. There is literally nothing to do. In Cali u can go outside every day of the year and there are plenty of things to do outside. In the Midwest its fucking corn, grass, trees, and hicks
>>
>>17788436
I'm a southern Californian and I've lived in Portland for the last 2 years

Ask me anything
>>
File: 20161122_180931.jpg (629KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_180931.jpg
629KB, 2048x1152px
>>17788441
I am not a social butterfly, more of a NEET really who doesn't fit into the shallow materialism here. There honestly isn't much to do where I live except shopping, trying new restaurants, or driving an hour to the beach which I have seen hundreds of times. I am hoping the Midwest will have more meaningful conversations too. I might even be able to dive into books in scenic places or get into Astronomy, because look at this, light pollution means no stars to look at tonight, as usual, just airplanes.
>>
>>17788465
How expensive is it to live there? Is it true you can live without a car, which appeals to me? How about the scenery? And are the folk similar to in so-called? I have this image of many educated people hanging out and drinking tea or coffee on the corners, and being liberal but as materialistic as in so-cal, plus new age quackery.
>>
holden edgemaster colfield motherfucker
>>
>>17788436
SOCAL is not boring, you're the one that is boring.

Perhaps look for something to do? Get a class M license and get a motorcycle. You sound like you can do with a bit of excitement.
>>
>>17788529
It's boring for me though, and as someone who has experienced having money growing up I don't care about repeatedly going to concerts, or spending noney on anything I have already experienced and grown bored of. What good is a motorcycle when you have a car, would get stuck in traffic anyway and killed trying to get out traffic, esp. when there are no dirt trails anywhere nearby?
>>
>>17788515
It's pretty expensive, but you can probably find something cheap enough

You can live without a car, the public transportation is amazing here

Scenery is beautiful. It's like a city in a forest, and the city itself is beautiful.

The people here are way different than socal. Ive met the strangest, most interesting people here. There are a lot of liberal/hippie/feminist people and like every other person is gay or bisexual.

Tea and especially coffee are huge in portland and there are little shops everywhere where people will be hanging out.

The people here are much more liberal. I thought I was a pretty hardcore liberal, but moving here makes me seem like trump. People are materialistic, but not early as much as socal.

Also get used to the rain, and seasons. P.s. Never use an umbrella here
>>
>>17788543

There are mountains and desert within an hour of literally anywhere in Southern California, even shitholes like my own San Bernardino. For something truly different, Northern California is a few hours away. I honestly have no clue how you can be bored with one of the most geologically diverse states in the entire world.

If you're really so rich that you don't know what to do with your money, I'll take you around.
>>
File: Griffith Observatory.jpg (33KB, 600x273px) Image search: [Google]
Griffith Observatory.jpg
33KB, 600x273px
>>17788469
>or get into Astronomy, because look at this, light pollution means no stars to look at tonight, as usual, just airplanes.
The Hi Desert is chock full of astronomy enthusiasts who will go out camping with their gear with pristine skies.

On the other side of things, there are tons of observatories in the mountains, including the Griffith Observatory which is a big deal. I've personally been to the Mount Wilson observatory which was a nice slice of nature but I guess you need to go on certain days to actually get a tour of the observatory. For a couple thousand bucks you can pay for a group of people to actually look through their giant telescope.
>>
File: juw9hs.jpg (486KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
juw9hs.jpg
486KB, 750x499px
>>17788543
>What good is a motorcycle when you have a car, would get stuck in traffic anyway and killed trying to get out traffic, esp. when there are no dirt trails anywhere nearby
This mentality right here, this mentality is what makes you an unexciting person. Change it, change yourself. I don't know what growing up with money feels like but I pretty much always got what I wanted. I am 24 and have a supermoto as my main transportation. I live in the valley and man I love riding that thing around. I say I didn't had any fear when I started to ride but I did. I was nervous in traffic but I am always on my toes and feel pretty safe. 2 years and only feel twice due to my own fault of messing around.

I got the bike for the because I felt a bit depressed and bored. The bike allowed me to go out more and explore. It also gave me sort of a hobby, I save money for new parts to make it look like the one in the pic. I found new places I wouldn't run into if I was in a car. A supermoto can put a smile in any mans face. a video showing how a supermoto can be fun in urban areas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izmQjq1ydOw
>>
>>17788594
>>17788543
same with what that anon said. If you have money and decide to try riding. I can use another riding buddy.
>>
>>17788594
I live between Long Beach and Los Angeles which is very metro for a subburb. I'm half white half asian who has lived in white and Asian communities, with a degree in International Business so I got exposed to different cultures, plus I've visited half of the states in the US and spent a year of my life traveling other countries including two months backpacking in Japan. It's very hard not to be bored by Southern California and its people after living here my whole life and catching glimpses of other more exotic things, and I would rather be far away from this state, just on the principle of seeing something different.

So-cal doesn't have an identity or sense of community other states have, we are career driven and boring where I live. As you said, you have to drive hours to get to another geographic area, only for it to not be as culturally different as an entirely distant place. Might as well just fly to another state and have a new central base to explore from is my feeling.
>>
>>17788615
It's just the way you look at things. Sounds like you spent so much time away from home to where it no longer feels like home.
>>
>>17788615

I still don't understand what you want out of a different experience. It sounded like you wanted to see different geography (which we've got), talk to different people (which we've got), or just experience something neat (we've got it all!). Taking into account that you actually HAVE been to different places and still feel restless, I guess you have a plain ol' case of ennui. I'm afraid there's nothing the world can offer you that will make you feel satisfied.
>>
>>17788556
What made you (want?) to move to Portland and are you satisfied there? Was it difficult to find a job? I haven't needed to work before, but I would appreciate having the feeling of independence from my folks or inherentance. I have mixed feelings about liberals, but I do think I would appreciate the variety over the homogeneity that plagues this place, down to the lack of seasons.
>>
>>17788686
I moved here for college and I really like it here
>>
File: 20161122_181646.jpg (734KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_181646.jpg
734KB, 2048x1152px
>>17788605
I have been to Griffith a few times: traffic makes it take 2 hours for what would be a 45 minute drive, and it's crowded and you can see the drab pollution that hangs over LA with its many diffuse lightbulbs, and it and depresses me every time I fly into it from a clear blue sky, knowing I will be breathing that greyness and unable to see the pure colors of the sky. The dessert has more stars and an appeal, and I'm glad you can appreciate it. If I were to stay here I would consider moving there, (or at least to San Francisco.)

>>17788606
I get the appeal. When I was studying abroad in Vietnam I really enjoyed the thrikl of riding those scooter-bike things with bands of business classmates through the narrow alleys and over bridges. If I lived in a 3rd world country like Taiwan, China, or a rural area with hills, I would seriously consider it. But I live around many shops and polluted freeways so it would be more of a hindrance really.
>>
>>17788626
Well if you're lucky enough to be satisfied with where you live that's great. I am not, and would rather give up fighting the feeling and move anywhere else, than to make do.
>>
File: filename-portland-japanese.jpg (51KB, 550x391px) Image search: [Google]
filename-portland-japanese.jpg
51KB, 550x391px
>>17788695
I am seeing nice pictures so I will have to fly there and bike/tram around for a week to know if I want to stay there. It reminds me of Olympia, WA.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.