[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

diabled customers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1447727704996.jpg (32KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447727704996.jpg
32KB, 400x300px
I just started a new job at a leisure centre and half our customers are disability support groups

I have never had much to do with the handicapped, and I'm not really sure how to approach the whole thing

we have low function autists moving around all our equipment constantly

often the carers struggle to stop them wandering around unsupervised, and they bother the regular patrons

frequently they will make requests, and their carer will veto them
yesterday a disabled person asked for a glass of water, and their carer told me not to get it
what the hell am I meant to do there?

what's the best way to excuse yourself from a rambling conversation?
yesterday I had a girl list ever fact she knew about orca whales
>>
>yesterday a disabled person asked for a glass of water, and their carer told me not to get it
>what the hell am I meant to do there?

You don't get it. The carers generally have reasons behind their rules. I know a couple guys who work that kind of job. I don't know what reason they would have for not wanting their client to have a glass of water specifically, but I do know that such individuals often try to sneak food that goes against their dietary restrictions, particularly when dealing with a new person.

>what's the best way to excuse yourself from a rambling conversation?
>yesterday I had a girl list ever fact she knew about orca whales

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess that with autists, it may be best to be as literal as possible. Some are incapable of understanding social nuance. So a strong hint like "That's great and I'd love to talk about it later buuut [insert excuse here]" will not be construed as you obviously lying to be polite, but an actual expression of you wanting to talk about the thing. Something more like "I cannot talk now. I will now [do thing], and I would rather not talk while doing [task]." may seem cold, but would possibly be better.
>>
>>17789180
Agreed. It will almost certainly not be construed as impolite to just say you don't want to talk. It is actually more impolite to give a false condition for you talking like "I'd like to but when I'm done with X," when you don't want to hear, because it's a lie ("white" lies are not a thing for most autistic people) and the person isn't able to figure it out so they'll feel misled and confused.

Just say you don't feel like talking about it. The person will probably look mildly disappointed and say "Okay," or maybe they'll just say "Okay."

By the way, I'm a wheelchair user, so if you have queries about courtesy for that side of disability I can try to help.
>>
http://www.jamesmw.com/sixrules.htm
>>
Hey OP, did you know that Orca whales aren't even whales? They're actually the largest species of dolphin.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.