[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A cry for help about my little brother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Summary: Little brother is becoming very arrogant towards parents, his grades are slowly falling and he has just no motivation about anything in life.

I don't know where to start since there is so much to talk about and that I have exhausted all other resources. You guys my last recourse and if anything fails, my brother would have to be sedated with Ritalin.

We are a little family of 4, father and mother are in their late 40s, I am 23 and my little brother 14. We are upper middle class but that's only possible because of the endless sacrifices of my parents that work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. Me and my brother always had what we wanted. My parents have always pushed us very hard at school.

I did pretty well high school but after that, it all went downhill. I screwed up 5 years of my life, literally a parasite that only steals oxygen from other lifeforms. I had a total shock/reality check when I went to pre-university (in my region, there's an intermediate stage between high school and university). I had no friends, no hobbies, was a child (to some extent I still am), no motivation, always choked during midterms and finals (which I still kinda do right now). Only now I realize how much I hurt my parents, not only mentally or their image among the rest of the family, but their health has been severely degrading since I fucked up. I am doing better now, I am becoming a firefighter to take care of them (in a way to redeem myself) in the future but the damage is done.

I always was playful with my brother. I had some moments that I whooped his ass because of his behavior with my parents but the rest, we played legos, video games and all. To some extent, I introduced him to video games and Minecraft was his favorite (and only one) for a long time. As time went by, he started to play more and more, had no real friends by the end of primary school and was starting to respect the authority of my parents less and less.
>>
He went to one of the most prestigious high school of our province. He had among the best grades in math and science and the rest was at least above average. Things started to get sour when he had comments from his teachers that he was disturbing class and sometimes even expelled from the class. He started to have more and more incomplete homework and his situation was such that he was about to get expelled from the school. To give you an idea, I had at most a dozen of negative remarks by teachers or homework not done. He has well over 200 and he's only at his third year.

My parents removed him from the school because he was already on the verge of getting expelled but it's the same situation now, albeit even worse. He stays a lot on his computer, absolutely NO RESPECT towards my mom and dad (he told them to shut the fuck up, which is extremely taboo in my family), grades are starting to fall and he has this "I don't give a shit" attitude.

His attitude and behavior has reached such critical point that my father regrets everything he has done in his life and has no hope in my brother. My mom's health is declining and she is absolutely exhausted and I fear she might just have a heart attack any day.

We changed school, we tried different approaches, we consulted a psychiatrist but to no avail.

What should I do?
>>
>>17785470
bootcamp would beat some discipline into him. Seems extreme, but so is your brother.
>>
>>17785452
>Me and my brother always had what we wanted.
This explains the rest. Although parents spending more time at work than with their kids doesn't help either.

>we tried different approaches
Like?

>we consulted a psychiatrist
What did they say?

Also why the fuck is the little faggot still having a computer? If he didn't buy it for money he earned, daddy and mommy should just take it away.
>>
>>17785560
I am seriously considering this. It will be my last option. I plan on introducing him to my track and field club where he can get a taste of what discipline looks like (coach is ruthless).

>>17785574
By different approaches, I mean we tried to be gently, rough, beat the shit out of him. The end result was the same.

Starting from today, he will not have his computer. Likely, for months. My parents always lacked spine on this point because as soon as my brother got 98% in math, everything was forgiven. I am also afraid that by completely removing his computer, it might steer him in extreme ways of thinking and mostly removing his only way of socializing with others.

We had a big meltdown today. It's the third time of my life I saw my father crying from his soul (first time was me when I was failing at school and the 2 other times because of my brother). This little shit had the nerve to answer back and still be arrogant, saying that he doesn't know us and can call the police to put us into trouble.
>>
Op i recently had a similar experience with my brother. I put his ass through a wall. Now i'm not saying it was the right thing to do but he hasn't been arrogant toward anyone for a while.
>>
>>17785620
You mean beat the shit out of him? I already did that a few times and I have never seen my father using his belt like he did today (literally a flail) but this little arrogant fucker has grown tougher and can handle it better
>>
File: 1364960559133.jpg (127KB, 500x586px) Image search: [Google]
1364960559133.jpg
127KB, 500x586px
I am no expert, but I assume none of on this board are. Change has to come from within, and sometimes it's set by example or an "eureka" moment. I hope every thing works out with your brother. Only time will tell right?
>>
>>17785632
That's how you create resentment and lead to him losing the last bit of respect.
He needs time to sort his shit out and positive examples.
>>
>>17785649
So...not beating him but instead kiss his ass? I tried this approach, do fun things and all but this little faggot cannot be reasoned with
>>
>>17785665
Not the same anon

Don't kiss his ass you have to let him make his own choices. Like anon said change vomes from within if he fucks up his life because he doesn't want to improve it's on him. Just let him know that if he wants the help the family is there but if not it's on him.
>>
>>17785665
Nah, he clearly had enough ass kissing, no need to go from one extreme to another. Taking away his shit and trying to reason with him is good, just won't necessary show positive effects right away. Trying to do fun things with him is a good idea too, that's where you can communicate with him. Just don't expect results right away.

Beating him will only ensure that he hates you, reasoning from that position won't be possible. At best it can cause him to lift, so he can hit back. Beating from your dad is even worse.
>>
>>17785689
Is it still salvageable? I remember when my father beat me. I hated him for a while and it eventually faded away. But he is a completely different beast

I insulted my little brother like never before (didn't hit him though). I said very bad things like he is a complete utter failure, a total trash spoiled brat that hasn't grown up and his attitude with people in general is a testament of his rotten character. I did go overboard but I couldn't stand watching my parents crying in despair while he looked at them with his smug fucking face.

I am 1 step away from forcing him to military school and army. I will only do this if he is expelled from this school and give him a beating of a lifetime. Afterwards, this sack of shit can do everything he wants, I will not consider him part of the family. Look I love my brother from the bottom of my heart but if he consciously choose to make bad decisions in his life, I will not support them and he will have to live with the repercussions. I'm not sure if this is the correct mindset but in the end, I will have tried everything.
>>
>>17785730
>Is it still salvageable?
Well, as long it wasn't a daily thing, more likely than not but it will take time. Switching the approach all the time confused the little faggot even more t.bh.

>But he is a completely different beast
Yes and no. Don't forget that you fucked up five years of your own life too, sure it was different but the big picture remains.

Insulting him sounds like fair game but gotta be careful not overdo it to "bridge burning" levels. Focus on calling him out for being a brat.

>but if he consciously choose to make bad decisions in his life
Let's not forget his age. A lot of "his" decisions are down to external factors, and puberty. He's clearly not completely retarded so it's likely he'll improve.

I was much, MUCH worse than he's now from 12-15 but turned out just fine in the end. (At least mom says so)

>I am 1 step away from forcing him to military school and army.
It might do the trick. Should be quite a reality check. Although try to frame it more as learning experience than punishment.
>>
>>17785769
Solid advice thank you. Do you think I should apologize? I don't want to lose my frame as the big bro, just to keep his sorry ass in check but in the same way, I was harsh with him lately. I just don't want to sound like a pussy cuck
>>
>>17785789
Nah, no need to apologize for something that's mostly true; besides as a sibling you do have much more room for that shit. It'd be REALLY damaging when coming from a parent.

It's a shitty situation to be in anon but also very likely to turn to the better. Best of luck.
>>
>>17785827
It did come from the mouth of my father, often enough that it may have impacted my little brothers self esteem...fuck
>>
>>17785452
Did you at least try to talk with him?
Have a talk, ask him stuff about his life, what he feels, also try to set an example. Tell him about your own mistakes.
Idk I've seen many cases like this, it doesn't help that your parents were always working, sometimes you just need to tell someone how you feel.
>>
>>17785842
That's sub-optimal indeed but with some self-awareness, he should be able to realize that your dad was mostly pointing out facts. Though obviously it will take a while for their relationship to recover, and for that your bro would need to leave the annoying faggot phase either way.
>>
Bump for more input
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.