[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to get a job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: job-seeking-advice.jpg (70KB, 730x390px) Image search: [Google]
job-seeking-advice.jpg
70KB, 730x390px
tl;dr: Need to get a job. I'm getting opposing advice from influential people and I'm left dumbfounded.

So, a bit of background.
>Currently working on an undergrad thesis
>Also maintaining and implementing a web system

Both of these are more than enough reasons to stay at home. I do have responsibilities, but due to life stuff I'm forced to stay until those duties are dealt with, and only then I will be able to move forward and get something better.

However, staying home is taking a psychological toll. Being unable to socialize, always dealing with the stuff at home, and a bunch of other things that are outright toxic, are some of the effects from all of this and I seriously need to go out and do things.

My father told me that he and my mother believe that I should be seeking a job as a teacher for classes related to my area (compsci). Sadly, most jobs on that regard are about teaching how to use Office rather than the stuff I studied. Just one course should be enough to do whatever I need to.

But I'm also seeing a counselor, and I told her this. She agreed that it might be good, but not exactly as a teacher. She suggested being a clerk, because teaching is heavy on responsibilities, although being a clerk is going to be heavy on work until new year. I told that to my father and he disagreed, and mind you, he taught a lot so he knows this stuff. My counselor also said that this won't be useful for my professional development, but great for my social skills, and that I can seek being a teacher later once I'm in a better footing.

Both have their points but I can't choose for shit. I can't stay here, but I don't even know what to pick or what to do.

Thoughts?
>>
If you lack social skills, please, for the love of Christ, do not teach.
>>
>>17785306
I don't lack social skills that strongly, either. I just gotta overcome my shyness and improve my self confidence. I've given speeches for projects at college so that's something.
>>
>>17785344
That still sounds like you shouldn't be teaching.
>>
>>17785346
Give me reasons, and why this should be any different as a store clerk.
>>
>>17785352
With teaching, you're not just talking one-on-one with another person, you're talking to a whole class. It's also not the same as giving a speech or general public speaking, since you're not just talking to them, you're actually interacting, answering questions, and thinking on your feet and responding to questions that they might ask. This means that it requires a lot of social finesse. In contrast, something like a store clerk is just talking to one person and just making small talk. You're not getting into complex discussions, which is what you'd be doing as teacher, and would be harder as you're not only trying to navigate yourself socially, but you're also dealing with the material you're teaching. Also, shy people who lack confidence aren't that approachable, and if you're teaching, you need to be approachable so that if your students have any questions, they're not disadvantaged by not feeling like they can ask you them after class or whatever. No one expects store clerks to have social skills, but they do expect them of teachers
>>
>>17785371
That's interesting. I do admit that I do get nervous and it shows. My mind gets full of ideas and I lack the tools to channel that more properly. You're probably right, and I'm going to take that into account - it's probably not a good idea to teach, not because I don't know my shit or because I can't explain stuff, but rather because I do need to get more confident and less nervous when speaking, and I can only do this with reasonable exposure. Probably why my counselor doesn't want me to do teaching yet? Although her reasons were more along the lines of "this requires a good deal of responsibility".
>>
>>17785405
>Although her reasons were more along the lines of "this requires a good deal of responsibility".
That's also a factor, I just didn't mention it because we were talking about social skills. Teaching isn't just teaching people, it also involves assessing what people have learnt. Not to mention, you're responsible for their education, and they're relying on you to actually teach them and teach them well.
>>
>>17785413
Damn you're right. And with weak social skills this could very well go badly. My father clearly did not consider any of this, and in the other hand he'd rather have me working as a professional on the stuff I studied - even when I'm already doing related stuff.
>>
>>17785448
Your father probably considers that you're 'above' working retail or whatever. Which, realistically speaking and given your current skillset, you're not. At the very least, you're not at a point where you can teach.
>>
>>17785448
>>17785451
Not to mention, your therapist is giving you a more objective view on the situation. She's seen and heard all the facts, and is advising you based on that. She doesn't have any stake in what happens in your life, whereas your father might be the sort of person who would consider it a 'risk' to his name if you're seen working in a store or whatever. He might also not be as aware of your shyness and lack of confidence, which are your two biggest barriers.
>>
>>17785451
He definitely does. And I definitely need to get out of my home and do some sort of work that won't consume my entire time because I also need that time.

Given what you said I'm definitely going to have a second talk but I'm also leaning more heavily towards retail, and this is the perfect timing to net a job, especially because stores need people badly.

>>17785458
I agree on that as well, and oddly enough my family is also super skeptical of her (mostly because what she's told me basically goes against most of my family's beliefs although it's positive for me).
>>
>>17785465
Since it's holiday season, maybe you could take on a seasonal job and see how it goes? Not fully committing, and if your parents ask, you could just say you're doing it for some pocket money to spend
>>
>>17785476
I want to do that, if I do well I could stay for a bit longer until I feel the need to move out, and it's probably not going to be as draining as I fear.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.