[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College Majors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: DO IT.jpg (37KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DO IT.jpg
37KB, 1280x720px
Hey /adv/, seems a lot of Anons are have difficulty selecting a major these days; they want a degree that is in demand and will offer them job security.

Sorry to tell you guys but there is very little loyalty in corporate America or any type of business really so if you're going to pick a major, make sure it's not worthless (Arts and Pure Math), over-saturated (Psychology and Finance), is always in demand (Healthcare and Accounting), very specialized but also in demand (First thing that comes to mind is some type of chemist for Big Oil or something to do with the high tech shit Power Companies use).

But also, don't forget that it's not all about money; you could pick a great degree, get a nice safe high paying job but you fucking hate it.

There's no way to tell the future but you can look at the past and see what type of degrees have always been in demand (Accounting and Healthcare) or look towards the future and predict where that particular industry is going.

If any Anon has a pretty sweet career and can offer some advice on what majors are in demand based on your personal experience that would be helpful to a lot of people here.

Anyways, good luck to you comrades.
>>
>>17779364
>useless degree
Stopped reading right there, no degree is useless if you learned things and grew from the experience.
>>
>>17779375

I didn't mean it in a literal sense, I meant degrees that aren't in demand except to teaching the new generation what the previous generation taught you. First thing that comes to mind is Philosophy.

Yeah, you can write a book but you'll typically end up teaching it at a community college.
>>
what about computer science
>>
>>17779375
there are some pretty useless degrees like women's studies where their only value is giving you the ability to go back and teach the classes required to get the degree
>>
History major here.
Dont let anybody tell you your major is worthless. The fact is that unless its a highly specialized or professional field like medicine or law, most jobs dont give a shit what your bachelors degree is as long as you have one.
I work in management for a trucking company and i took exactly 1 business class and that was in high school.
>>
Get a degree in what you're interested in.
>>
>>17779375
I'm $150,000 in debt but at least I lerned sumthing about muhself.
>>
>>17779628
What history? I've thought about learning on either Central America or Egypt. I figured that since there are a lot of undiscovered pyramids in Mexico, I figured I could actually find some fun work for a while.
>>
File: 1476140921249.jpg (26KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1476140921249.jpg
26KB, 308x308px
>>17779375
Found the art student lol.
>>
On this topic, shot in the dark, I doubt anyone has this exact experience but whatever.

Anyone have a minor in "Global Studies"? What the fuck can I do with it if anything? I'm majoring in secondary social studies education, I took a foreign language class for fun a year ago and my adviser told me that with my school's program I basically have a Global Studies minor because of it. Apparently like, 90% of the minor's courses overlap with my major, there's only one other class I have to take that I wouldn't already otherwise have to take with my major. Seems like since its just one more class it won't set me back or anything so I might as well, but I just have no clue what good this thing even is.
Adviser is literally the stupidest woman I've ever met and can tell me nothing about anything other than what's in the course catalog lol.

Would just having the minor in general be beneficial in the sense it'll make my applications look prettier? Even if it is worthless?
>>
>>17779375

To be fair, there really are useless degrees, but not the way 4chan memes about it such as "any non-STEM degree is shit"
>>
>>17780714

Bet your one of those idiots that thinks hard work doesn't apply to anything as long as you pick the right field.

Good luck in the real world, friend.
>>
>>17779364

I've been attempting to brute force. I've been in the army, worked in social services, worked as a craftsman and finally went to uni. Got a bachelors in Communications but pursued a BA degree with a concentration on Information Systems.

I currently work as a data analyst for a consulting firm and I am loving every bit of it. To be honest picking a major should be a mix of common sense and what you're passionate about. I could've pursued medschool as I did have the GPA, but I would have hated every second of it, regardless of the demand and high pay.
>>
>>17780689
Not that guy, but I can answer this. For that you'll want an anthropology degree, not a history degree (Archaeology is folded into the anthropology dept in most American universities -- it's folded into history elsewhere, e.g. the UK. Although there may be a few oddball universities that do it differently.)

Contrary to popular belief, it is not impossible to get a job as an archaeologist, even with an undergrad degree, but virtually all of the paid work available to you will be in America (Alaska and the southwest are the two biggest hot spots) and if you want to do work in Mexico or really any foreign country at all you're going to *need* a Master's at least, and for the really desirable work, a PhD.
>>
>>17779552
Seconded.
I'm a network admin. Get your CCNA/Secplus, A+, all the basic shit not even hard to do.
If you're making less than 60k starting out you're wrong.
Here's what I do. I unplug and plug routers/switches/filers/servers in when they don't work.
I sit around on 4chan all day, when somebody important asks me what's up I open cmd and do ipconfig /all and say it's all good.
I reset passwords when some dumbass enters it in wrong too many times and gets locked out.
I make 92k a year salaried not counting bonuses plus paid vacations.
>>
>>17781549
Oh forgot about using stupid amounts of canned air blowing dust out of shit.
I also run as many as 12-20 Runescape bots on a couple of private VMs at a given time, 24/7.
Pretty happy in life.
Yeah network engineers/admins/networking is just the way to go man. Basic as fuck and in demand all the time.
You'll lrn2 subnet, set up/configure a whole rack, god tier port forwarding, set up DHCP servers, DNS servers, app servers, you will become the god like global domain admin but you won't have to use half the shit you learn most of the time.
>>
>>17781549
>>17781563
how possible is it to get a job with a CCNA right after getting the certification? i've heard the competition is brutal and they give entry level work to people with more experience and certs.
>>
>>17781483
Thanks a bunch! So, anthropology it is!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.