[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a real psychiatrist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: Psychiatry_0.jpg (27KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Psychiatry_0.jpg
27KB, 900x600px
Since last time a lot of people had questions here's another run. Ask anything about mental health.
>>
>>17779060
How do I tell if emotional trauma has caused lasting damage?
>>
>>17779060
Why don't you get a real job as a neurologist?
>>
>>17779094
Not that as much into neurology as into psych. I work on the unit for the criminally insane. Never gets boring.
>>17779084
If you avoid or do certain things because of the trauma it did leave a mark. How you handle it will determine if it's just a lesson or a serious condition.
>>
>>17779060
Is there a syndrome that makes people idiotic emotionally?
>>
>>17779116
There are many disorders that make you deal the wrong way with emotions.
>>
>>17779060
How many milligrams of xanax, painkillers and sleeping pills + alcohol will it take for a smooth death for a 90 pounds - 18 year old? Does the age matter?
>>
>>17779119
I suspect asperger is not the case, what else could make you have active but odd behavior? Being incapable of bring humble and having furious attacks?
>>
>>17779060
I have this weird feeling about my dad. It used to be worse. I will start with the beginning.
I started feeling like he was hitting on me because of small things. for an example when i came out of the bathroom one time just with a towel he was there at the end of the hallway just standing and looking at me with a gross smile on his face. But also very small things made me very uncomfortable. I felt very unease at home just by the thought of him being in the next room and I stopped talking with him completely because I just couldn't. I couldn't even sit in front of him when we ate so I changed place so i sat in front of my mother instead. I also felt like he was staring at my hand all the time. One time he showed me something on his smartphone and he was laying down in the couch and he held his smartphone in a weird way. Then I saw he held it right next to his boner like he wanted me to see that. This resulted in me trying to avoid him for 2 years or so (16-18 years). I then found out he had said to his family that I'm angry at him because they asked me if I'm angry at him when I visited them. Now I don't really feel this way anymore. I still don't know whether or not I have been overreacting to things he werent aware of or if he did it on purpose to annoy me.This feeling also came with many other psychological problems for me. Why did I feel like this? Is that normal? Btw. I'm a gay male
>>
>>17779121
Age does not matter, but you should see a psychiatrist if that#s what you're planning.
>>17779125
Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder...many options. It depends what kind of odd behavior it is.
>>
Why is there so little research on HPPD?
>>
>>17779179
Rather rare, most of the time people keep on consuming drugs so the HPPD turns worse...a lot of times intodrug induced schizophrenia. Thats why theres not much...
>>
>>17779154
bipolar don't fit... Pain on the ass, this a good description, but just that amount that makes people think you are normal but inconvenient and isolate you. Hyperactivity, never stop moving, talking. But at the same time docil.
>>
File: forafriend.jpg (24KB, 475x636px) Image search: [Google]
forafriend.jpg
24KB, 475x636px
what really causes gender dysphoria? is transitioning really the best way to deal with it?
>>
Why do I feel like nothing is real? Lately, I've been having doubts about how real this life is. For example, I dont believe that there is actual land and people beyond the place that i live in. I also feel as if bad things cant happen to me because I am the "main character" of this world. I know its probably all in my head, but id like to know why i feel this way?
>>
>>17779200

Exactly me. Wtf is this shit?
>>
>>17779199
are you there?
>>
>>17779060
How to get over someone you have to work closely with?

I know, I know don't shit where you eat, but she asked me out
>>
How do I become more interested in other people and their lives so I can make friends? The loneliness is killing me
>>
>>17779238
Not OP but try looking into this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization
>>
I don't know if it's a real problem, but anyway, here goes nothing:

It's just that, for literally my whole life up to now, I never really thought I was wanted. The concept of someone thinking "We should call anon, he is cool!" was just theoretical in my head. How could anyone want me? Because of that, any invites I would receive, I would be skeptical and avoid many meetings. Even to the point of being confronted sometimes. Those times made me quite sad and guilty, because I could see those people being bummed that I wasn't there, but the moment they invited me, in my head, it would feel like it was either just obligatory or that it was some kind of set up.

This was in such a large scale in my life, that a common situation to me was: I was in group with friends, someone would come and invite the group for something else, everyone would leave and I would just stay there, wondering if I was suppose to go too. That lead to many awkward situations.

Of ocurse, at some point, I started to accept invites and all, and I saw people being happy for me being there, socializing, gathering. Yet, "How can these people want me here? Do they want me to leave? Was I really supposed to come?".
Today I just go to everything people invite me, unless, of course, I can't make it or I really don't want to be there (really, really don't). And I wonder if they really want me. If they are really happy for me being there. If I'm really important to them.
Is it normal and I'm just being a bitch making a fuss over nothing? If not, how do I deal with this? Do you know why I feel this way? Please, help.
>>
>>17779247
its called being psychotic. these people go around yelling at people. for example, "I REALLY LIKE THIS COLOR", i hope this is not you. That is what the psych is referring to.
>>
>>17779060
Do psychiatrists actually give a shit about how they diagnose people? Aren't they aware of the modern stereotype that literally anyone can walk in and get diagnosed for some silly mental issue? Aren't they aware it's also extremely easy to fool psychiatrists with even just a hint of a talent for manipulation? Do a lot of them just enjoy the money or do they honestly think they're helping?
>>
If I have both bipolar disorder and narcissistic personality disorder is there hope for me? Can I stop being a selfish prick and dominating every conversation and being callous and dismissive of other people's viewpoints? I realize there's a problem. I'm just worried I can't change. But, I say things like "I need to change" out loud, something I never heard my mother say. Is there hope? I feel like I'm already too far gone because it feels like I'm straining or I've already destroyed most of my relationships.
>>
>>17779060
>be severely deranged
>probably schizophrenic, or autistic; or something...
>be addicted to nicotine and caffeine (actually bought caffeine pills for awhile just so I could take them while I was drinking redbull; and I smoke almost two packs a day and chew nicorette whenever I'm not able to smoke)
>compulsively burn every bridge in my life
>people in my town are literally out to get me (they've done some fucked up shit)
>parents don't like me... they've never given two shits about me in fact
>zero support other then a roof over my head
>I spend hours a day driving in circles chain smoking and pounding back redbull(its literally my number one hobby; I've put like 75k+ km on my car in less then a year
I'm thinking about going to a voluntary psychiatric hospital in another town, and then moving to a third town afterwards and trying to make a go of it there. Good idea? Bad?
>>
File: 85092153.jpg (148KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
85092153.jpg
148KB, 640x471px
First off, is OP still here, before i spill my guts?

Pic is LOL, this is Life, and you can't do anything about it.
>>
>>17779060
Why do you treat morality as thought it is objective, why do you consider empathy as necessary, and why do you consider objectively beneficial traits as mental disorders.
>>
>depressed as fuck forever
>unable to make the decisions
>tried many strategies, exercise, diet, blah
>get a lot of attention
>fuck 4/10 occasional 8/10 to inhibit feeling worthless, just makes it worse.
>try ketamine for first time, feel like a new person.
>what do?
>>
How to cure premature ejacualtion ???
>>
Would also like to know this:
>>17779381
What do you define as success in your position? What do you strive to achieve for yourself as well as your clients?
>>
>>17779060
What are the effects of benzos and anty psichotics on a kid over a ten year period?
>>
Why is my ADD, anxiety and depression gone when I'm drunk?
>>
>>17779853
Don't drink. drinking is bad.
>>
>>17779480
Why do people always do this shit in this image? I fucking hate it. It's like, how long do you expect me to fucking wait?
>>
>>17779860
You didn't answer my question.
>>
>>17779372
This looks like autism, and it is not the case too. The case here is that people are just annoying, uncomfortably incovenient, but look normal and are extremely bullied because of it. Even by the relatives. That phrase in circles, "look, there comes the annoying". Like that kid that don't stop asking for something, that elevate the voice when is not being pleased, but are not violent physically in general - a peaceful psych.
>>
>>17779060

Why I can't remember a lot of things? for example I must have like 20 memories or so from childhood and 15 of them are bad. Lately I can't recall things that I'm being told after 15 min. Sometimes I forget what I said 5 secs after talking. It's driving me nuts.
>>
Do I have serotonin syndrome, or am I being paranoid? My medication increased, and I haven't slept for 48 hours. My limbs feel restless and occasionally move suddenly on their own. My eyeballs and mouth dried out, and I feel agitated. I also have a headache and dizziness.
>>
>>17779060
Did you graduate from a prestigious university? How hard was it for you to land a job? How much do you make?
>>
>>17779060
I had an attack a year ago where my heart rate and blood pressure spiked. It was a few days before my last semester in school with an actuary FM exam a few weeks due. After this, I went to a cardiologist and was told everything was fine despite me not being fine at all. I went through Cardicem, Toprol, and Propanolol. The last one worked wonders, do I have panic disorder?
>>
I don't know if it means I have depression but I talk to myself every night and say how much of an awful person I am and so on. It usually goes on for a good fifteen minutes and then I go to sleep. But I haven't done any serious harm to myself. Sometimes I hit myself
>>
>>17779060
hello, i think i have an internet addiction, i spend from 6 to 10 hours mindless surfing the net and i need pc to study.
how can i fix my life?
>>
Short story: Been through counselling twice in recent years. Childhood divorce seems to have had big impact on me, developed social anxiety/depression, low self-esteem in 20s etc. I have very gradually improved over the years

I recently read 'Neurosis and Human Growth' by Karen Horney. It really seemed to have an impact on me. The fact I could relate to it so much even though it had no practical advice seems to have helped to heal me subconsciously, if that makes sense?

I've also been having lucid dreams which appear to had the same positive effect even though they are just surreal nonsense on the surface.

I find it hard to explain what I mean. Basically what I'm saying is that I have recently noticed a marked improvement in my self-esteem and have been able to move on from past problems due to what on the surface seem like very vague means. I'm an introverted/Intuitive person by nature. What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>>17779060
How to have fewer negative thoughts about people? I usually feel very negative, more than I really should, towards anyone when I first meet them, and while I warm up to them overtime I still have negative thoughts about those people. Sometimes I imagine hurting people just to release the stress of feeling like I can't let myself warm up to people more while also feeling angry that I don't have anyone close to me.

How much can a poor diet over even just a few days affect ones mood? I feel like my mother has eaten very poorly for the last decade and it may have contributed to her constant feeling of being down.
>>
Why do ugly cunts think they're so beautiful on the inside? They're physically repulsive and genetically defunct.
>>
Lacan or Vygotsky?
>>
>>17779114
Does serious emotional trauma get better on its own, over time? Its been about six years since I found my girlfriend dead from suicide, but sometimes I even still feel pretty fucked up about it. I've genuinely tried therapy, but a hurdle that was difficult for me to get over was feeling vulnerable. I'd open up, and then worry that they would think I was stupid, so much to the point that I would watch them (the therapists) talk, and be absolutely certain that they were talking shit about me. I know they probably weren't... but it just really feels that way, and not just with them, but with everyone. I can't even describe to tell you how I feel on a daily basis.

I've gotten so paranoid about people hating me that I bugged my parents room with a voice recorder. I almost want it to be true, even though it kills my soul to think they think so little of me.

So, what would you recommend I do? I'm on medication (lamictal) and have been for some time.
>>
>>17781232
not OP but I don't think diet affects that so much I think it has to do with personality and humor how happy you are.
When you feel hate towards someone try to force yourself to focus on some positive traits of that person and write that down in your diary or something.
>>
>>17780037
Not OP, but that might be more from sleep deprivation than the meds themselves.

Regardless, it sounds like you're over-medicated. I used to think "ah what bullshit, what does anon know over a doctor?", and kept on taking my prescribed dosages. But, one day, one thing led to another, and I ended up tapering off without doctors' orders.

I feel so much goddamn better man. That shit isn't good for everyone, and I think a lot of people get over-medicated.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.