[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two years ago, I took steps to fix my economic situation and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 1421483745996.png (561KB, 705x780px) Image search: [Google]
1421483745996.png
561KB, 705x780px
Two years ago, I took steps to fix my economic situation and among other things, quit mastercard.

Current situation:
1. My only remaining debt is a student loan of approx 12 4000 dollars which I pay dutifully every month (although I payed late fees in July and August due to moving and losing track of stuff).
2. I make around 3100 dollars every month after tax.
3. I now have 7500 in an index fund, otherwise no savings.
4. Until very recently, I have zeroed my bank account every month, but for the first time in a long time I will not do so this month. I have taken steps to make sure I will impulse shop less in the future. So I think this month will be the new normal for me.
5. No reason t believe I will lose my job.
6. Outside of the late fees in July and August, I am on time with all payments lately.
7. 872 $ in rent every month.

Here's my question: I want a new gaming rig. I'm looking at a build-yourself deal for a pretty sweet rig, that would go for 1861$. If I put my head into it, I believe I can afford this by February. However, my room mate will move out then, and I will have to buy a lot of furniture, so the money will be needed elsewhere then. The electronics retailer has a partial payments plan over a year that seems fair(40.13 $ extra to establish the plan, 5.23 $ fee every month, no INTEREST).

I am very tempted, and everything seems to suggest I have truly changed and can do this responsibly, but I am worried that I will become a squanderer and slip back into economical irresponsibility. Also, I *will* have to buy new furniture in February, so it seems really stupid to buy that machine. But my current laptop only has a Nvidia 560m card, I can't play nothing with sweet graphics.

tl;dr: Former stupid-with-money-person wants new gaming desktop, not sure if I have matured enough to handle partial payments.

Also not sure if my economic stupidity is far enough in the past that I'd even be viable.
>>
your student loan is 124,000? holy shit
>>
File: 1427041666802.jpg (156KB, 484x326px) Image search: [Google]
1427041666802.jpg
156KB, 484x326px
>>17776020
>12 4000>>17776025
>your student loan is 124,000? holy shit
I snuck in an extra zero. The student loan is approximately 106,000 Norwegian Kroner, which becomes 12 332 Us Dollaroos according to google.
>>
>>17776020
IMO you should liquidate the index funds and pay down your loans. We have had an amazing market run since 2008. We are long overdue for a recession. Cash out and get a guaranteed return of 5%+ by paying down loans.

Drop the PC budget to $1000. Price/performance drops off past $1000. My $1200 build from 5 years ago still runs games like Metro 2033 just fine. My 7950 was a beast when new, and still gets the job done.
>>
File: 1427391538781.png (1MB, 4352x6000px) Image search: [Google]
1427391538781.png
1MB, 4352x6000px
>>17776093
The housing market is insanely overpriced here, and law dictates I need to be able to front 15% of any house I buy from my own pocket ( that is, I need to pay 15 % of the house from savings, not loans).

If I am ever going to become a home owner, I can't liquidate and pay off debt. Instead I'll have to work my savings up to 20 or even 30 000. Even old, run-down houses go for the equivalent of 200 000 dollars in Norway!

The advice of going for a cheaper computer is good, though. So I take it that the partial payment plan is not too risky and I should try it?

Also forgot to mention that I'll have to pay rest tax in June.
>>
>>17776130
I feel the markets will drop or stay flat over the next few years. Paying off your loans gives you a sure fire "return" equal to the interest rate.

Late payments ding your credit. No balance on the loans will give you a far better credit score.

>So I take it that the partial payment plan is not too risky and I should try it?

My rule of thumb for hobbies is don't get it unless you can pay cash.
>>
File: 1478902020189.jpg (93KB, 1092x645px) Image search: [Google]
1478902020189.jpg
93KB, 1092x645px
>>17776358
>I feel the markets will drop or stay flat over the next few years. Paying off your loans gives you a sure fire "return" equal to the interest rate.

Not sure what you mean here. Could you explain?

>Late payments ding your credit. No balance on the loans will give you a far better credit score.

The rules for mortgage loans are weird here. Basically, no matter how bad my credit score is, as long as I can front the 15% of a house cost, the bank can't legally reject my application. As long as I don't HAVE 15% of the price though, they can't make a loan contract no matter how strong my credit rating is. As far as I understand things, improving my credit score is actually pretty unimportant to me, which is really counter-intuitive.

>My rule of thumb for hobbies is don't get it unless you can pay cash.
Sigh. That was what I was afraid off. With the furniture in February and extra tax in June, that won't be until after August , at the earliest. And the headset jack is not working, so that means single-player ONLY.

Oh well, I'm not going to be one of those who asks /adv/ and then reject the ugly truth. Waiting six+ months it is.
>>
>>17776480
>Not sure what you mean here. Could you explain?

The markets can't go up forever. We have not had a recession since 2008. Usually we have a recession every 5-6 years.

Every dollar you pay over the minimum on your loan saves you from paying interest on it.

>As far as I understand things, improving my credit score is actually pretty unimportant to me, which is really counter-intuitive.

I live in the US so it is different. I could get approved with a good credit score and 3.5% up front.

>And the headset jack is not working, so that means single-player ONLY.

Snag a USB headset for cheap. Does the job and costs less than a new PC.

You can always buy used furniture
>>
$1500 is enough for a 7 year able rig.

Not your fault devs are shit at coding, full modded morrowind will still lag with your super rig
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.