[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here have hypothyroidism (not to be confused with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Thyroid.jpg (198KB, 300x324px) Image search: [Google]
Thyroid.jpg
198KB, 300x324px
Does anyone here have hypothyroidism (not to be confused with hyperthyroidism) or know anyone that has it?

Just wondering, did levothyroxine, synthroid or those other T4 only medications work for you? There's a bunch of websites out there dedicated to complaining about T4 only meds and claiming their doctors only gave them T4, refused to look at anything other than TSH and things got worse and they had to go doctor shopping until they found one that prescribed a T3 med like Armour. They experienced lots of weight gain, hair loss and other things before getting on Armour.

Apparently the TSH test is the standard and T4 meds supposedly work most of the time from what doctors say so I'm not sure if these sites are just a loud minority or if this is a real common issue.

What's your experience? Good? Bad?
>>
I have hypothyroidism. I used to take synthroid but now I take levothyroxin.

I did have issues with weight gain over the course of my life, although that might be more due to my lifestyle rather than the hypothyroidism and its treatment. In recent years, I've lost weight and kept it off through controlling my eating and doing moderate exercise.

I've experience some light hair loss, but I believe this is probably due to normal male pattern baldness as little has changed more recently and my hairline resembles that of some of my older family members.

I actually heard about this whole thing before and brought it up to my doctor. He gave me the same speech you mentioned about how T4 is what matters, blah blah blah.

I feel like there might be a small impact from the T3/T4 issue, but if it exists, it's certainly not large enough that I feel like I need to do something about it. I'll bring it up when/if I change my doctor, but I won't go out of my way for it.
>>
>>17775683

Has the medication itself ever caused weight gain?
>>
>>17775885
No, I've never had an issue with that. And it doesn't make sense for that to be possible, to me.

The condition of hypothyroidism, itself, slows your metabolism and contributes to weight gain. The medication is supposed to return the hormone levels to their normal levels, which would bring the metabolism back to normal and bring weight gain/loss back to normal amounts, assuming the medication is actually working.

But the medication shouldn't ever cause weight gain because its purpose is to treat a condition that causes weight gain.
>>
>>17775907

That's what I thought as well until I looked into it and I read people that got on Synthroid or the generic started gaining weight. Some reported they never gained weight UNTIL they started the medication.

It all seems confusing and I'm not sure what to believe. Again, I wasn't sure if this is a major issue or if this is just the loud minority that takes the time to post about it on the internet considering the people who benefit from the medication usually wouldn't take the time to write paragraphs about how great it is.
>>
File: IMG_0731.jpg (64KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0731.jpg
64KB, 1000x1000px
Another hypo guy being treated with levo here.

My TSH was off the charts (strangely it was the only abnormal values), but after half a year of treatment is now resting on a normal value of around 3 with only 50mg levo a day. My doc will probably downscale my dose to 25mg next year if everything stays as it should and then down to 0 eventually.

Haven't experienced shit, in fact my hair loss stopped since I began treatment. That and I feel like I have more energy now.
>>
>>17776073

Did your hair ever turn frizzy and lifeless and limp or was it just falling out?
>>
>>17776104
Just falling out, more notably on the top-back of my head. Ever since I started treatment with levo, my hair loss has stopped completely (unless I get really stressed or something).
>>
>>17776139

Thanks. Also, did the hair you lost ever grow back or did it just simply stop falling out?
>>
I was diagnosed with it and my doctor gave me a levothyroxine med. The only side effect I saw was weight loss but to be honest at the time I was under a lot of pressure and not eating right so the weight loss could come from that.
>>
File: tea.jpg (123KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tea.jpg
123KB, 400x300px
>>17776257
Grew back.
>>
File: nice.jpg (25KB, 550x336px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
25KB, 550x336px
>>17776341

Nice.
>>
Synthetic T4 is chemically identical to what your body usually makes, and in both cases is converted to T3 by your body anyway. If you're having weight gain and hair loss that would suggest you're not taking enough thyroxine rather than it somehow not having an effect.
>>
>>17776525

>Synthetic T4 is chemically identical to what your body usually makes, and in both cases is converted to T3 by your body

Well for the people that complained about T4 meds that switched to Armour (T3) claimed their body had trouble converting T4 to T3 and therefore that's why they needed Armour and that's why T4 didn't do anything for them.
>>
>>17776550
That's a thing, but is pretty rare. Standard practice is to start with a T4 medication, see how you respond, and go from there. It works for the vast majority and if not then your doc can switch you over to the other type.
>>
>>17776556

Are you on T4 meds?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.