[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did depression fuck up my brain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

So long story short, I got depressed last year when I started my first job and moved from my parents. With time, I reconnected with my friends, I got a gf that I love and I started taking lexapro to handle the stress. I'm almost off the meds, I have reconnected to the interests I'd lost, I'm more outgoing at work and I no longer cry in my bed eveytime I get home.

Yet this intense period of introspection and overthinking seems to still be going on. I've always been of the thinking type, but when I was depressed it got so bad that I couldn't have sex without thinking about having sex (I've always had a confused sexual identity so doesn't help).
Life feels like half acting and half spectating, and while I enjoy the things I do, I can't stop having metaphysical thoughts about every thing while I'm doing that thing, if that makes sense. Every activity, I think of in relationship to my past and my future. I live in the present, but not quite. These feelings make me feel nostalgic for when I used to just enjoy myself and not give two shits.

Is it possible that I fucked up my neural pathways so that I can't live the present anymore? Is there a way to train myself to get better? Meditation? It's like everytime I catch myself spacing out, I think about why I'm spacing out instead of just doing what I'm doing and enjoying it.
>>
>>17771649
I can relate to most of this. I feel like an alien and at times it's gotten me to want to kill myself. I'm hoping a skydive can somehow break me out of it.
>>
Is this the intj circlejerk thread?
>>
>>17771649
I don't think the depression fucked you over nearly as much as the lexapro did.
Habits trained during the depressive period are probably going to stay with you for a while, although different kinds of therapy might help.

t. 8 years ongoing depressive anxiety, stopped medication 6 months ago
>>
>>17771769
>I don't think the depression fucked you over nearly as much as the lexapro did.
can you elaborate?
Started being depressed september 2015, and I think the depression really worn off around august. I remember pretty clearly how my mind used to work before all that happened.
Depression felt like seeing everything in black and white. The state I'm in now, feels rather like seeing everything in color but through a filter, like being colorblind.
>>
>>17771805
When you have depression, your brain has a chemical imbalance. It's not dangerous, but it's something your body gets used to.
Medication changes the natural flow but it was never made specifically for your specific chemistry. This means it could increase levels of something you don't need, decrease something you do, it's not exact. Medication can be beneficial, but not wholly beneficial. Otherwise there would be no downside to taking antihistamines or Aleve every day. Eventually your brain will rewire itself to operate in tandem to that drug, so going off of it can cause shortages.
>>
>>17771828
That makes sense.
I have to wonder if it's a good idea to systematically treat young people like me with SSRIs. Like I'm 22, my brain is still kinda plastic and not fully developed, adding the influence of meds on top of the depression is probably not the best plan, but hadn't I done so, I may have quit my job from the lack of energy and motivation.
Also I think it's possible that I have a harder time recovering because I still generally have the same lifestyle as I did when the initial change occured, with a very steady routine and not a lot of free time to do what I really want to, also having to work and communicate with people that are not my friends everyday. But that's all speculation.
>>
>>17771921
It's worth noting that modern medicine (including psych) is still pretty young. Luckily we've gotten over stuff like lobotomies and shock therapy (in some cases...) but the public perception is still very negative.
SSRIs are primarily prescribed because they solve the problem in the short term, which is great for shit parents. It's the same thing with ptsd veterans vs nonvets. Most of these drugs weren't even around 20-30 years ago, so we can't guarantee that these medications don't have some kind of long lasting effect.
It's possible that depression on the whole changed your perception of things, but the drugs definitely make changes of their own and it's hard to not internalize those changes.
>>
my phsyc. game me Lexapro and told him I'll look into it and may try it out but was hesitant from hearing all the awful antidepressant story. next visit I went back and told him after researching over it i wasn't going to take it so he gave me Ativan. not sure how it'll be in the long run but so far it has been able to calm me down. the funny thing is when I take it all the usual shitty I think about gets magnified by 10 by at the same time it feels 20 times easier to deal with.

I'm not trying to endorse drugs of any sort because we all know where that ends in the long run but I feel like possibly as long as you aren't overdosing these things can seriously help people like us.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.