[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job hunting while employed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0758.gif (234KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0758.gif
234KB, 500x265px
Hey, /adv/,

I feel trapped. I am an HVAC installer and I hate it. I got into this field to secure a career, but i'm now realizing how big a mistake it was. I work 10-14 hour days, usually an hour or more away from home. I don't really get to spend time with my fiancee, let alone go grocery dhopping or wash my car. I'm 21 and feel like i'm missing out on my life. I work so much that I don't really have time to job hunt either. What should I do?
>>
File: giphy.gif (816KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
816KB, 400x303px
Change jobs or just end it.
>>
>>17765546

If you have savings, quit.

I know everyone is going to shit on you for this, but I can't impress upon you enough how important it was that I quit two jobs when I was your age to pursue my dreams. When I first got out of college, the economy was shit, none of my friends had jobs, and I was stuck in retail management. Same shit - working 10-12 hour days, missing my friends and family, watching my life pass me by, never able to take vacation time or interview for another job because my schedule would shift every other day and I didn't know what time I'd have off...

I left. Took some time to look for a change of scenery, ended up back in retail management, thinking a new place and new people would fix it. It didn't. Quit again.

I had to take a $10/hr part time job to finally get some degree relevant experience, but getting my foot in the door was all it took, and now I make $80k a year in marketing.

Take the risk if you can afford it for a bit.
>>
in the end do what makes you happy
>>
This. I never got the workaholic meme. I'd rather work normal hours or part time if possible. What's the point of living if you spend every waking second for the job? Working, commuting, preparing for it, unwinding from it. That's a slave's life.

Have your wife fill out job aps for you. Or try talking to your boss about a part time, or one on one off, or 3 on 3 off, schedule instead. Say the job is killing you and you don't have time to spend with your broad.
>>
>>17765602
It's funny you'd suggest that. I tried bringing it up to my boss, and he just reminded me what the company does for us; e.g. Good healthcare, competitive wages, etc. basically, "quit your bitching because you owe us".

I'm all for hard work, for playing the game and getting the reward. But I don't want to be retired at 65 and think, "man, now that I have all this free time, I can do all of those things I never got to do". Because some of that shit will dry up.

I like the three on three off idea. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks guys for the advice. It gives me hope.
>>
Finding a job IS a job. Finding a job while you are employed is even harder. But GETTING a job while you are already employed is easier than if not employed.

So keep working but take a few minutes when you get home (or before you leave for work) to browse for jobs. Probably an HVAC maintenance position in a building would suit you better than being on the road.
>>
Nearly every country in the world has a minimum 20-30 paid days off, plus national holidays (usually 5-10). You can take days off in halves if you just need to interview (morning or afternoon). The US doesn't have any minimum at all because it's the greatest country or something, they say the perk is being able to leave a job without giving 2 weeks notice.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.