[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is my girlfriend mentally ill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

My girlfriend and I have been together for nearly 3 years. I love her, and I care for her. I've always suspected she has some sort of mental illness which effects her mood.

every few weeks or so, there will be a few days where she wakes up and feels easily irritated, says bad things about me and our relationship, and goes berserk sometimes and cry a lot.

In the beginning of our relationship, I thought it was because I did something wrong, or we just had unmatchable personalities. but now it is very clear to me that this type of behaviour from her is spontaneous.

so what the hell is it? I looked up bipolar disorder symptoms, but a lot don't match. its not her period either, since she has these episodes sometimes just after her period.

whatever it is, what can I do about it? (besides leaving her) she would be totally offended if i suggested we take her to see a psychiatrist.
>>
>Every few weeks
It's her fucking period mate. Mood can fluctuate at different points in the menstrual cycle outside of the period and it's different for different women.
>>
>>17756317
the best match of symptoms is mild borderline PD + menstrual period.

obviously youre description is too short for more than a guess.

im a psychiatrist in training.
>>
>>17756323
I feel like her symptoms are extremely exaggerated to just be considered having her period. and I want to correct myself, its more like every 2 weeks or so that this happens

>>17756331
the majority of the time shes ok, and she can be very sweet and sticky.

when this happens, it usually happens for 2 or 3 days. she wakes up, feels easily pissed off. the smallest thing could set her off to flipping out like crazy. she would often propose breaking up, and would ignore me, then cry at night. Before, I would try to fight with her when she does this. but now I know fighting with her does nothing to help.
after she lets out her anger, I would be able to hug her while she cries and she would turn back to normal.

this cycle has always been happening for as long as I remember
>>
My last girlfriend was like this too. Would come in waves and it felt like I was dealing with an emotionally immature selfish child. You're fucking 29! Not 15! And was a business professional too. I kept on top of it with calling her out on bullshit behavior and i would just think do I want to spend long term dealing with this nonsense. So I just ended it and when I did, felt like a huge weight off my shoulders. Why deal with it
>>
Remarkably similar to my gf, except she does it every less frequently, and is usually not moody on her period so it's not that either. I'd be interested to learn more as well
>>
>>17756352
i guess that makes sense if you dont feel very emotionally attached to her.
I can't bring myself to turn away from my girlfriend.
>>
>>17756317
Hey op,
I am a girl and I am with my bf for 5,5 years. I have been suffering from deep depression since I remember myself. I couldn't realize it for so many years,maybe I didn't want to believe it. The first 2 years of my relationship I was like your gf. But I was bad more often than your gf. Usually my be was nervous on me,and I was like "hey if you don't like me then break me up". Then I was realizing that this wasn't normal,was crying and hugging with my bf.then after once,I got tired of myself,and decided to go to a doctor,I told to my bf and I had his support. I went and the doctor diagnosed the depression (which I could understand sometimes that I have,although I didn't want to believe that,cuz I was raising like mental problems are something so much terrible,but nowadays more and more ppl suffer by these), I started my therapy and from then until now I am great with my bf. The thing is,that it's hard for you to suggest her to go to a doctor. I wouldn't like Eather if my bf had suggested me that(although deep inside I would be sure that he was right).
>>
>>17756317
Probably she's just stressed and doesn't have a healthy outlet for that, so you become the outlet for that stress.
Get her into some sort of physically tiring hobby, what works for me is swimming, running and hiking.
She might be a bit emotionally immature and doesn't know ho to deal with emotions.
>>
>>17756351
She's going to need medication, if it's only anxiety or depression.

If it's Borderline Personality Disorder, you're fucked. Get out and run the other way. Nothing really helps that shit. It's for life.
>>
>>17756416
hey, congratulations to getting your life under control. i dont know if my girlfriend would have the same diagnoses as you did though. she doesn't seem to be depressed majority of the time

also what therapy did you have?
>>
>>17756422
It could be Bipolar. Meds can help that, but people don't like to take them because they then don't get the "highs".
>>
>>17756422
i've been reading the symptoms of borderline personality disorder, and a lot of it matches with her. especially her fear of being abandoned, feeling of emptiness, and unstable emotions. the only thing that fortunately doesnt match is self harm.

i'm sure there are ways to reduce the symptoms right? like
>>17756418 suggested

i think physical activity would be good for her. she also said her mood improves a bit after sex sometimes
>>
>>17756425
I was getting every day one anti-depression pill,for more than a year,and for the first 6 months I was getting one Xanax at night.
>>
>>17756425
Also,I was not seem depressed to my father,cuz I didn't want him to understand it,and I was usually acted like normal. A lot depressed ppl are acting usually the normal and this makes them even worst
>>
>>17756351
stuff that repeatitly happens for years at a consistent rate isnt likely to be a mood disorder (depression, bipolar). Also the way you describe it seems like it mainly leads to problems in the relationship, which is an indication of a personality disorder (given there is a disorder). Medication may be indicated.

i dont share the pessimism displayed by some anons. Bordeline PD is chronic but running isnt youre only option if you love her.

Obviously no real diagnosis can be made here on 4chan.

my advise would be to discuss with her during her good periods how she wants you to act during her bad periods. depending on your circumstances you can consider involving her friends and family.

psych in tr.
>>
>>17756466
Me again,
I was also feeling better after sex as your gf.
And don't read on Internet for a possible diagnosis. I had all the symptoms of the bipolar according to Internet,but only a therapist can understand the problem and makes the diagnosis.
>>
>>17756473
>>17756476

thank you
>>
>>17756473
>stuff that repeatitly happens for years at a consistent rate isnt likely to be a mood disorder (depression, bipolar). Also the way you describe it seems like it mainly leads to problems in the relationshion
Not rly,I had depression for years and I was like that. The outbursts that I had weren't due to relationship problems,I was feeling bad and I was acted like crazy for stupid reasons. I will say some crazy examples,I could act like a crazy if I was going to bed alone without him coming etc. I though more if I am crazy than depressed,but the problem was the depression. After the therapy I went back to normal!
>>
>>17756476
And me again,
The fact that she cries perhaps shows that she realizes that something is wrong with her. Maybe there is a fight inside her about if she is normal,or crazy or something. After my diagnosis I felt more free to express what I feel,I could talk about it with my bf,without feeling crazy or something,because I knew my problem and I was trying to cure me.
>>
Maybe you just need to fuck her better.
>>
>>17756518
Fucking is not the problem
>>
>>17756317
How is your Girlfriends relationship to her father?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premenstrual_dysphoric_disorder

Axis II should never be diagnosed without multiple one on one sessions with a licensed practitioner.
>>
>>17756351
There's also a form of PMS called PMDD. Basically a PMS cranked up to 11, ridiculous emotional rollercoastering from what I've been told. Could be possible though not very likely
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.