[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mom just told me she was raped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1459560404581.jpg (61KB, 540x511px) Image search: [Google]
1459560404581.jpg
61KB, 540x511px
I posted this on /r9k/ but I realized that I will only get meme responses there. I believe my mother was raped by my stepfather when they were married. This was several years ago (they divorced two years ago but separated 3 or 4 years before that).

>22 years old and live with my mom
>I am a college graduate and work a full time job and help her with her bills
>about 2 years ago my mom divorced my stepdad
>he was abusive and cheated on her and shit
>now she's a constant mess, drinking all the time, constantly out of money, etc.
>I was in the living room tonight and watching South Park
>they have Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby together to start Bill Clinton's Gentleman's Club(kek)
>drunk mom walks in and states that the show creators must be Democrats because she sees Bill Clinton
>explain that they just called Bill Clinton a rapist
>she tells me that those women weren't really raped and were just asking for it
>she states that he probably just used his authority to intimidate them into having sex with him against their will
>tell her that is almost literally the definition of rape
>she then asks me if that situation is rape if it's a married couple
>tell her of course it is
>yells at me and tells me that's bullshit and if it's true then she's been raped by my stepdad plenty of times
>tells me that she regrets it but it was her fault after all
>she then starts crying

God damn it guys I'm pretty sure she just told me she was raped. I hated that asshole enough already. How the hell am I even supposed to process this information. What do I do now? I've been denying it for years now but it's pretty obvious that my mother is suffering from severe depression and it's pretty easy to tell why. How do you even approach this with someone? I'm starting to really think that she needs help that I'm not capable of providing. Also I don't know how I would react if I ever saw that son of a bitch again.
>>
>I'm starting to really think that she needs help that I'm not capable of providing
this.

I hate to break this down to you anon, but
>severe depression
>alcoholism
>possibly suffered abuse

This would be too much for any single person to handle - even if it was not your mom.
You need to convince her to get professional help. Like, yesterday.
>>
>>17751647
damn dood. that's heavy. you can provide as much as help as you can. encourage her to speak to a professional, because it is almost never a good idea to keep these kinds of emotional trauma to yourself. it's very hard for somebody in isolation to get past things like that without it severely fucking them up.

explain to her that you love her(? if this is true), etc, think she needs to speak to someone about what she has gone through.

besides that there isn't a lot you can do for someone who is depressed without them wanting to be helped. you seem like a cool dude and i hope your mum gets better soon. i have a shitty relationship with my mum and don't really care for her, so i can't really relate but good luck
>>
>>17751672
I don't know how to go about doing that. She believes that depression isn't a real thing. She also can't afford this kind of treatment.

>>17751674
Yeah, hell I've considered getting help for myself. I bottled up a lot of these emotions whenever my mom and stepdad were still married. The fights, having the police at our house, them threatening to kill each other and my sister and I, etc. None of it is normal. I am honestly pretty estranged from my mother at this point. I still love her but she says some pretty hurtful things to me sometimes. I realize this is probably the result of the trauma she's been through but still.
>>
>>17751647
Does she work? Its pretty hard to be happy when you're not fulfilled with your life and not occupied. Humans are built to work. I don't know what you do, but try to get her a job with you if that's possible. Having a schedule and having to be somewhere at a specific time would probably make her stop drinking, that can only be a good thing at this point.

>>17751690
>I still love her but she says some pretty hurtful things to me sometimes
This is typical depression and alcoholism.

>>17751674
>i have a shitty relationship with my mum and don't really care for her, so i can't really relate but good luck
I haven't seen my mom since I was 4, I can still relate.
>>
>>17751711
She's actually a schoolteacher. She just has a bottle or two of wine every night after work. Sometimes she'll switch it up and have a case of beer instead. I wish I could isolate what the problem is but it's a culmination of things. She's stressed about not having any money. She could try to get a job making more money and has even gotten offers at other places but she refuses to leave her current job. I've tried to help her getting other jobs/encouraged her to apply elsewhere but she doesn't do it.

It's honestly really hard dealing with her on stuff like this. She goes at everything like she's going to fail anyway.
>>
>>17751647

Oi. Well at least they're not together anymore.

At this point, what other people said pretty much... She needs professional help, and she'll only ever do it of her own violition.

it sucks to say this but she's old enough to be set in her ways that there's a chance that she'll feel like it's just not worth it to get better, and if that's the case, there is nothing you can do.

All you can really do is just move on with your life, and put it out of your mind because the past is the past.

If it makes you feel any better, it could have been worse.

For example... My mom did something similar one drunken night... except she told me she was repeatedly raped by her brothers and father when she was a kid. She then locked herself in her car and spend hours sobbing...

That one was a fucking bombshell and a half of awkward, mindfuck, and heartbreak...

try to see if she's willing to get help, but if she's not, move forward with your own life so you can at least progress on your own, and then hopefully have a stable base to provide support for her in the future.
>>
>>17751722
>Teacher
>Can't afford therapy

She's bullshitting you.
>>
>>17751722
This is clear depression, just convince her to see a professional to talk about everything at least once or twice. Don't go with her, let the dude with the degree deal with it. She won't be honest with you around.
>>
>>17751647
>I'm starting to really think that she needs help that I'm not capable of providing.

No you're not. She should speak to a professional, you should speak to a professional with the fact you're dealing with by proxy.

Been supportive yes, but this is seriously outside your paygrade.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.