[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: avatar_ec6297c113c7_128.png (16KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
16KB, 128x128px
So I need a job, but I've lived under a rock since forever. How do I find a job? I can't just play wack-a-mole and ask everyone if they're hiring. Do I turn in a resume with an application or in the interview? Do I need a cover letter?
>>
>>17751238
>how do i find a job
online, mostly
>do i turn in a resume with an application
yes, with the application. not during the interview. it's a good idea to bring a copy to the interview anyway, just in case they don't have a copy.
>do i need a cover letter
yes
>>
>>17751238
You didn't really give any background.

Experience?
Academics/certs?
Acceptable pay?
Transportation?
>>
>>17751254
>Experience
My only experience has been with family business. It's practically nothing though since with one I worked like 2 days and the other has been a cashier sort of job but with less register operating than ehat the standard cashier job does
>Academics
HS diploma
>Acceptable pay?
Shit I just want money for gas to transport myself around and other personal pleasures while I go through college. Minimum wage is fine.
>Transportation
Car but no license. I have my exam next month
>>
>>17751247
>Online
I don't trust google results. One asked me for an email and I keep getting spam

For any job? I'm just looking for a min wage job
>>
>>17751292
>google
what?
if you're in USA, i don't know what websites to use.
but in australia we use Seek, Indeed, etc.

job listing websites. don't just google for jobs, google for job listing websites.

and yes for some of them you will need to sign up to use their website and provide an email.

in australia there are plenty of minimum wage jobs on these websites.
>>
>>17751277
You can just say you've worked a register, that's something.

If you live in a metropolitan area, craigslist is awesome.(short and long term) Any place with public bulletin boards are good for leads.(small grocery stores, libraries)

Ask all your friends who have jobs how they got theirs and about openings. Schools also tend to hire students to do minor administrative tasks around campus.
>>
>>17751292
alternatively, a job agency.
>>
>>17751328
Sometimes job agencies skim a few dollars off the top for a set time period if you make over minimum. Depending on the situation, that may not make it worth it.

One offered me an ok job at a wire company for $15/hr but would skim $4/hr for a year. Instead I spent that time getting job training elsewhere and now make more than that anyway.
>>
>>17751326
>Ask all your friends who have jobs
Yeah, that's not possible
>schools hire students
The jobs are all filled in mine. I have better luck next semester when some students leave, but not now.

>>17751328
Might check this out
>>
>>17751369
>might check this out

keep in mind that some employers don't want job agencies contacting them. but if minimum wage its probably not gonna be a problem.
>>
>>17751309
If you don't know what Google is, how did you know how to use the word "google"? Do you not know the origin of that term but use it anyways or would you have told him to yahoo something if he said he uses Yahoo?
>>
>>17751448
my confusion was not the word google.
my confusion was that OP seemed to have used google for looking at job listings directly, as opposed to using a job listing website to look for jobs.
that was the impression i got.
>>
>>17751238
>I can't just play wack-a-mole and ask everyone if they're hiring.

Actually that's exactly how you get a job.
>>
Related; How necessary are resumes? I think they're a waste as far as minimum wage jobs are concerned, but I've only had one place ever email me after an application and it was after I had to move. Are places normally slow to respond?
>>
>>17752080
some places are very slow. i've had some places take 2 months to respond. some places take 2 days.

a resume is very necessary as a summary of everything you've done.

even when i had 0 job experience, mine was full of my studies (3 year diploma in singapore). i didn't include every subject of course, i included the things i got distinctions and As for, and other extra curricular things i did.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.