[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chess Teaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: ChessPiece.jpg (2MB, 1860x3148px) Image search: [Google]
ChessPiece.jpg
2MB, 1860x3148px
My little brother has shown an interest in chess and in some of my spare time I tutor him, I go to a chess club where there are some real scrubs, around 800 elo, I am hoping in some months to get his 7yr self good enough to beat them handily

Does anyone have any tips or advice?
>>
Yes. practice against people much better, and lose while trying your best, and learn from them. If your bro can't handle learning from losing hundreds, if not thousands of times, he's not cut out for pro chess.

I would say study the grandmasters moves, but that won't mean anything to a kid. he needs to learn how hard it is to play a good player and in doing so overcome them.

Of course, start slow. He'll never learn to play if he always plays against a pro at full power, but you can't just hand it to him.

Chess is for people who like to win against a serious challenge. It's not for most people, and it's damn sure not for everyone.
>>
Get him one of those little paper booklets that basically have chess puzzles (They also have beginner ones that just teach how the pieces moves, ones that ask you to find the mate in 1/2/3 moves, etc. Find one that matches his skill level).

Have him do a page a week or something, and reward him every time he completed X amount or have him turn in X amount of pages for Y prize (like a trip to the zoo, or a cookie, or whatever the heck you think your brother likes).

This will train his mind to think more creatively when playing, will positively reinforce his love of the game, and will get him to be more consistent with practicing.

Keep ramping up the difficulty of the books and start playing against him so he can learn with real world experience too.
>>
Chess.com There he can play and learn which is the whole point. Also they have pro games analisys, tutors, openings and whatnot for premium members.
>>
>>17750847
Just practice, I'm learning (mostly learning strats) chess myself. I just practice against computers, because computers will always be more aggressive than people.
>>
Teach him some opening theory. He doesn't have to learn openings by heart. Just the basics of development.
It offloads a lot of thinking power to lean the heuristics of opening, which can be focused at the much more interesting middlegame.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMSAhUzyqyI&list=PLQsLDm9Rq9bHKEBnElquF8GuWkI1EJ8Zp&index=2

this is the best chess tutorials I've seen for beginners. It goes over both specific tactics and moves and the general ideas behind chess strategy and positioning. It's not exactly complete, but it's a great place to start. Also that channel has a lot of great videos for more advanced players too.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.