[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to "survive" in an cold building?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: coldhouse.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
coldhouse.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
Geee adv/ I moved out of my old apartment due to the landlord needing it for a relative. I found this fairly cheap old apartmeny. In my opinion extremely cold! When I wake up it's only 8.c (46.4f) here. I just want to stay in bed and not get dressed due to shivering like a leaf every morning. Right now it's 15.c (59f) and that's the usual temperature around here. I kinda feel the best when it's around 22.c (71.6f).

I don't know what to do? I decided to just pay whatever the electric bill will become and put on ALL the ovens. It's not helping at all, only making the place stay at a cold temperature instead of dropping futher down. I walked to the store and carried a huge bag of wood. It's blazing right now and the temperature is barely over 17.c (62.6).

Why is it so cold here? Well the whole right side of the apartment is a window. Nice view though brrrrrrr. Other reasons, this place is old and it's the winter.

What can I do to keep warm beside drinking hot beverages, sleep, not stay here... and attempt to heat this place. I am wearing a jacket inside now..

If you were me what would you do?
>>
move out as soon as possible
>>
Get a portable heater and put it in the one room you're in most. keep it running, keep door closed. If that one room has a window then obviously seal any cracks or whatever by it. Also get long johns. They're comfortable to be at home in and really do keep the heat in. You wear long johns and you'll want to pull them off in couple minutes in regular temperature.
>>
>>17748425

That's really good advice :)

I should invest in some Long Johns. And tons of wool. Would it help to put rugs on the floors?
>>
>>17748440

Yes if you can afford it and like walking around without flip flops. I personally like to wear flip flops without socks and not touch floor.
>>
>>17748444

I was just thinking that maybe rugs can stop cold coming from the floors and maybe the base temperature would rise a bit? idk.. I enjoy wearing two pairs of wool socks.
>>
>>17748465

>maybe rugs can stop cold coming from the floors

Do you have a room underneath? or is it solid ground?. Either way I think that logic is incorrect. Reason is that a while back on some home improvement radio show a guy asked a question (forgot exactly how it went) asking about having a two furnaces or some shit like that one in his attic and one in his basement. They told him to invest in the one in the basement first because since heat rises it would be more beneficial to have that heat go up to him instead of from the attic out the house.

I'm not sure if in any case you would have to worry about cold coming from the floor unless you have like a floor where you can see through floorboards or something. covering up vents might be sensible if you don't have heat running through them or something. I think when floors are cold it's because they're absorbed the cold from the room temperature.
>>
>>17748475
>>17748475

No rooms under, this is floor U. I guess you could say basement, but we aren't under the ground or anything. There are three floors above me, and this floor is the first one. No actual basement. yeah I heard about that also, guess sorta it makes sense since heat travels up.
>>
>>17748401
Do heroin to feel warm and less depressed about your current living situation

It's way cheaper then paying for a space heater
>>
>>17748486

Do you have a dryer in your house? how do you do laundry?.
>>
>>17748498

I hang them up on the bathroom, we have heat in the floors there. I guess i could bring my laptop into the shower without turning it on XD

That would be kinda weird though.

>>17748492

Im not really depressed (yet) just really cold. Drugs aren't really my thing.

Hmmm maybe I should look into alternative energy or life hacks.
>>
>>17748401
Portable heater and layers. Don't feel bad about wearing heavy stuff indoors, because you get to feel like you're living on the frontier/in the Arctic. And those places get down to double digit negatives in winter.

Invest in wool socks, long johns, thermal shirts. And if you want or need to use your fingers for finework, then get some hobo gloves and chemical handwarmers. The gloves are seriously amazing, and they're useful in hot weather too (they act like sweatbands).
>>
File: ideal HVAC system.jpg (37KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
ideal HVAC system.jpg
37KB, 500x329px
>>17748401
>Why is it so cold here? Well the whole right side of the apartment is a window.
You answered your own question.

Glass has an (imp) R value of about 1 per glazing layer-- if there's a decent air gap between them; 'decent' is actually THIN, as-- well physics I won't bother you with.

To understand just how much heat is blasting thru those windows, H = dT A (1/R); A in m^2, R in SI R, 1/5.678 imp-R, and the dT is in kelvins; then H in watts.

To maintain a given temperature, you need to supply energy to balance what's being lost thru all the surfaces of your dwelling.

OR, you can increase the R-value of the surfaces.

For the window, take a spirtzer and spray water on the window, then take bubble wrap and press it there. This will stick the wrap there and hold it-- while still being easy to peal off later, so the land lord won't freak out.

It's a very cheep solution to a window that can half the heat moving thru one.

Every time we double the R, we half H. And when you're starting with an R=1 single glazing, doubling is damn easy!

A more vigorous solution would be to curtain the window; take HDPE, 0.5mm, and fiberglass rolls.

Unroll fiberglass onto HDPE sheet, put in parallel until the area is a good 110% of your window. Take 2nd sheet, put on top. Take a HDPE welder tool and seal the edge, folded onto itself.

Next, take canvas straps, on each side, running between each fiberglass run. Rivet them together.

These straps are how you roll the curtain up. simply fix them to a pipe and arrange a means ot turning said pipe in some bearings. Roll it up, and let gravity unroll it.

Use R-19 (imp) fiberglass here, and you'll be well pleased.

For your walls otherwise, if you can't do any building at all, I'd say buy some foam board insulation. At least R-10 (imp). Take it and use masking tape to make it behave as you tile your walls with it.
>>
I lived in a shitty slum apartment with no heat or AC in the northern part of the Mid West.

My main solution was a good blanket (comforter) and an oil radiator heater.

You plug in that space heater, full power, put the blanket over it, and then you get in underneath while sittin on the couch, or in bed, or wherever.

I'd have the bros over, and we'd be in that shit together, smoking weed, yadda yadda. Super comfy, super arm, you can tuck your toes under the heater, or at least with mine, it had wheels, and I could get my feet under and it would warm my feet up nice and toasty, shit sometimes I'd have to turn that thing down lower.

Stop trying to heat the house up, and just heat you up.
>>
>>17748593

Oh wow this is the best advice ever, you sound like a math proffessor or something. Sorry for late reply i had to respond to some emails.

>For the window, take a spirtzer and spray water on the window, then take bubble wrap and press it there. This will stick the wrap there and hold it-- while still being easy to peal off later, so the land lord won't freak out

I think this would help alot. I will try this first.

>A more vigorous solution would be to curtain the window; take HDPE, 0.5mm, and fiberglass rolls.

Unroll fiberglass onto HDPE sheet, put in parallel until the area is a good 110% of your window. Take 2nd sheet, put on top. Take a HDPE welder tool and seal the edge, folded onto itself.

Next, take canvas straps, on each side, running between each fiberglass run. Rivet them together.

These straps are how you roll the curtain up. simply fix them to a pipe and arrange a means ot turning said pipe in some bearings. Roll it up, and let gravity unroll it.

Use R-19 (imp) fiberglass here, and you'll be well pleased.

oOoo that's also a really detailed good suggestion. If first suggestion doesn't work I might do this.

*thinks*

>Stop trying to heat the house up, and just heat you up.

Worst case senario yeah.
>>
>>17748401
that's not that cold, just get used to it. Christ.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.