[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I do about my dad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1357905529898.jpg (45KB, 930x520px) Image search: [Google]
1357905529898.jpg
45KB, 930x520px
I'm 23 and he's 43. He and my mom split when I was three, and I never liked going over there because he was always working and my stepmom was very cruel. When I was 14 he stole my laptop and I stopped visiting.

I didn't see him again until I was 21. He apologized and said he wanted to patch things up. I forgave him and tried to be part of the family again. But after a couple weeks, he would just stop talking to me. It's been a couple years now, and every so often he'll act like we need to have a relationship, I give it my best and after awhile he just stops contacting me, "forgets" to return my calls or texts, has to cancel plans, etc.

A few months ago I moved across the country and before I left he wanted to have dinner together. The time he picked, he was "busy" and said he'd reschedule, then never got back to me. Now he'll text me or try to call me every couple weeks and other than letting him know I made it here safely I haven't responded. I don't know what to say, I just feel tired of it. We've been through this multiple times for years.

Today he sent me a snippy text asking if I was going to ignore him forever, apologizing for his mistakes and saying he loves me. What do I even say to that? It's like he doesn't see the pattern here.
>>
>>17746756
Do your filial duty. Respond to him when he contacts you, send a communication yourself for every one he sends.

I personally talk to both my parents (they're divorced) at least one a week, each. Feels good, being virtuous and fulfilling my duty to them despite our striking differences
>>
>>17746756

has he done anything positive for you as of late? given you good advice, bought you something that you needed, helped you work out some problem? If he has, maybe try to be a little more lenient. If he hasn't, straight up tell him him being flaky and not being a good father is not enough for you to put any effort into the relationship.
>>
>>17746764
Why? He's just going to guilt trip me.

>>17746770
He sometimes gives me money for Christmas/birthday but other than that no. In fact, I can't really think of a single time he ever did anything like that.

He has always kind of expected me to just want a relationship with him. Even when I was a kid he would get really upset if I wouldn't call him but wouldn't return my calls.
>>
>>17746764
You're a faggot.

OP as a grown adult, who has continuously put in good effort and faith, you do not owe your father anything. It is not your fault that he couldn't get himself together and grow up. If you are tired of his game of cat and mouse, I suggest you lay it out on the table. Give him a call, ask him to hear you out, explain how you feel, and tell him you don't want to cut contact but you're sick of it, you're 23 now, you've had enough. If he doesn't improve with time then take a break, cut contact for as long as you feel necessary, and when you're ready maybe talk to him about how he's feeling and if he thinks he can actually commit to being a father for once.

My mother's treated me like shit for a lot of my childhood, I cut contact once I turned 19 for 3 years. We have started talking again, and although things aren't perfect, they are improving and getting much better.

Sometimes people need time to think, im sure your dad's intentions are sound but his actions are not.
>>
>>17746756
If I was in your position, I wouldn't say anything to that.

This is not a healthy relationship, it has never been a healthy relationship, and considering you seem to be doing just fine (or perhaps more accurately, better) without him, I see no reason why it needs to be made into a healthy relationship. I don't see why it needs to be made into anything; be done with him.

You don't rely on him for anything. He doesn't help you financially, you don't live in his home, you don't work for him - and perhaps most importantly he doesn't provide any emotional support. Nothing about your relationship with him is productive. You don't owe him anything just because he donated his sperm; he has no right to your life. If you don't want anything to do with him, you are under no obligation to contact him at all, and furthermore are not under any obligation to explain yourself to him.

If you want the possibility of a relationship with your father, do what this anon says: >>17746792

If you don't, then don't do anything. Let him be dust in the wind.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.