[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to learn a new language. Which one would you suggest?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: collection-national-flags.png (73KB, 1800x780px) Image search: [Google]
collection-national-flags.png
73KB, 1800x780px
I'd like to learn a new language.

Which one would you suggest? And which one do you think is the most useful one to know?
>>
>>17742789
Well - what languages do you know? Where are you from? What do you do?

German, French, Spanish if you want to keep it relatively easy.
Arab, Russian, Mandarin/Cantonese if you want to go for something more complicated.
>>
>>17742789
French, Spanish, Mandarin. Everything else is just having fun without much practical use. Purely for /lit/ Russian is a decent choice too.
>>
>>17742794
I do mechanical engineering and I know english and italian. I'm searching for a language that would be useful in a professional environment.

>>17742795
Really, no practical use? Why is that?

Also, I think I won't pick mandarin because I've read a huge rant of a guy here who had to work with chinese entrepeneurs and they were the worst of the worst so I think I'll avoid that.
>>
>>17742809
>Really, no practical use? Why is that?
Because in most countries English will do just fine, specially if we talk about respectable jobs that require college education. Hell, the fags in Scandinavia probably have a better English than the average American.

Obviously if you have in mind to move to a certain country, learning that language is a good idea even if almost useless outside the boarders say Icelandic.

>chinese entrepeneurs and they were the worst of the worst so I think I'll avoid that.
That's mostly true though it's not THAT bad with understanding about their culture. Besides, as a white guy you'd be popular as fuck in China and professionally it makes the most sense too, since their English tends to suck dick.

As mechanical engineer German might be a decent choice professionally, it doesn't do you THAT much good since educated Germans speak English well but people tend to like people who speak their native language more. It's pretty ugly though. If you're Italian, French or Spanish should be relatively easy and are much more wide spread. Afterwards you could still give German a try.
>>
>>17742825
>learning that language is a good idea even if almost useless outside the boarders say Icelandic

Yeah that's what I was doubtful about. Many languages are mostly useful only inside the borders of their native country so I was searching for something more widespread.

>it's not THAT bad with understanding about their culture

Ah yes, the guy mentioned something about that, like that there is a saying that goes "You get what you pay for" and that the laws there are super strict and people avoid helping others only because they're afraid of getting law troubles. Other than that I don't know much else about it.

> French or Spanish should be relatively easy and are much more wide spread.

I see. Well, I think I'm going to start with spanish then. I've just read the list of languages by number of native speakers on wiki and spanish is 2nd behind mandarins so yeah, I think I'll start with it.

Thank you all for your answers, you really helped me making up my mind:)
>>
>>17742841
Have fun learning, m8
>>
>>17742809
>I do mechanical engineering
Where are you from? Do you plan on leaving the country anytime soon?

If you plan on leaving for Europe or already live there, German, French, and Russian are the best languages to learn. Japanese is also pretty useful, but it's extremely difficult for an English speaker to learn.

1-5 (least to greatest)
Spanish = 1
French = 1
German = 2
Russian = 3
Japanese = 5
>>
>>17742809
Mandarin is ridiculously hard to learn. Seriously, you could probably learn two romance languages in the time it would take you to learn broken Chinese
>>
>>17742809
>I do mechanical engineering and I know english and italian. I'm searching for a language that would be useful in a professional environment.
Study German.
Ciao :)
>>
Thanks for the answers guys!
>>
C
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.