[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I bother?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: sigh.jpg (21KB, 331x302px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.jpg
21KB, 331x302px
> 27, male, still at home.
> Mutual fire/quit retail hell after five long years
> Also under huge amount of student debt, degree in software dev
> Six years failing to acquire said related job
> Completely tired and done with software dev & coding. I'm clearly not cut out for it.
> I haven't a clue what I want to do otherwise

For five months, I've applied to warehouse, back-end, anything that doesn't face the public to no avail. The thing is, I really don't know what I want to do.

Seriously, a fading foundation in programming isn't going to help me in any other job. My sanity can no longer bear customer service. There's no way of gaining faith in humanity after retail.

I just want a job that pays just enough for me to get by and live on my own for the rest of my pointless life. Which really isn't much longer at this rate.
>>
>>17737129
Well, what other skills do you have? Honestly, I think you should look into the trades
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/
^Bureau of Labor Statistics
>>
>>17737343

Not much, really. Outside of school/college, I pretty much had no life other than games and the internet. I've worked in fast food and retail. I don't really have the time or money to learn something else.
>>
>>17737129
Join me in the kitchen! I tried for 5 years to put my engineering degree to use. Got fired from a shitty lab job back in May. Friend told me his kitchen was looking for people. Been there since June and I love it despite the pay cut. I should be able to move out on my own next year.

>places will hire and train anyone who gives a shit
>starting pay is better than retail. Turnover makes advancment easier
>once you get cooking the rush down the job is easy
>closed kitchen means never dealing with the public
>>
>>17737416

Not sure a picky eater like me can be helpful in a kitchen, haha. Not that I wouldn't be against it. Though I lack cooking skills, I do tend to enjoy it. Of course, working in a kitchen is entirely different.
>>
O.P. here: If I were to consider apprenticeship, would there be any costs to that? From what I've been reading, there seems to be a lot of schooling/classes required as part of training. Would I be expected to pay for that as well?
>>
>>17737129

hey im 27 and at home also..dont worry bout it..wont be forever.
>>
>>17737380
>I don't really have the time or money to learn something else.
Huh, as far as I know, most of them require you to go through an apprenticeship(paid)
>>
>>17738256

As in, they pay for the training and schooling or whatever the apprenticeship requires? That would be fine and dandy. Of course, I'm sure it's all hard work that I wouldn't mind bearing, but I feel there would more of a catch to that.

I don't know. Guess it would be a matter of choosing a trade. Seems like a many take about five years of apprenticeship. I'm 27 years old, so I'm not sure if age is a hindering factor...
>>
>>17737129
30 is the age I'm going to end it.

Gonna take out huge loans, buy an expensive car and drive it off a cliff.
>>
>>17738513
There was an anon the other day who defrauded someone for a huge amount of money and was going to spend it then kill himself. He stole the money, spent it but then pussied out of killing himself and was now on his way to prison.
>>
>>17738544
I'm not sure if that's a warning or deterrent.
>>
>>17738513

OP here: Eh, I would never risk doing that myself. I wouldn't do it regardless. Granted, the only reason that's been keeping me alive is a video game I've been waiting for about 10 years so far. Still, I'm trying to make due with life to see if that will change when the game finally releases.

I can only do that if I get a job, well a job that doesn't cause anymore insanity that retail did.
>>
>>17738588
Sounds like it's the waiting that's keeping you going rather than the actual game, which inevitably going to be disappointing.

>retail
Good luck there's nothing else except retail. Everything else requires a degree, an extroverted personality and a network.
>>
>>17738588
Hl3 was cancelled idiot.
>>
>>17738680

I was referring to Kingdom Hearts III. Granted, it wasn't announced until three years ago, I've been anticipating it since 2006.

>>17738671

Yeah, an introverted guy who's pretty much been a quiet one my whole life doesn't stand a chance to establish a network.
>>
File: 1454040553257.png (48KB, 651x433px) Image search: [Google]
1454040553257.png
48KB, 651x433px
>>17738509

I think the requirements vary state to state. The guy in the picture is from Utah. Sorry, I can't really give you much info

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-it-cost-to-become-an-electrician
^source of pic

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/electricians.htm#tab-4
^Training info

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes473013.htm
^Info on electrician helpers
>>
>>17737129
Don't give up, OP. I was in a similar boat as you. I got a degree in computer science and no one would hire me at the moment. I spent a great deal working on my portfolio in many different web languages before anyone noticed me.

I left school at 23 and I was 27 before I got my first software dev job.
>>
>>17737129
you just need to sit down, meditate and figure out why the fuck you suck at something so much you went to school for and then keep adding to what you have invested your time in instead of going another direction

going another direction is just stupid. continue to develope your skill. no matter how much of a dumbass you are, if you put time and real passion and energy towards it you will definitely get results you pussy
>>
>>17738872
The forth thing is, and it can work on it's own, is a specialized useful skill that only a few people have cos most normies don't waste time like we do.
>>
>>17739416
>>17739419

Well, I did just create my own portfolio website from HTML and CSS scratch. Of course, that means very little these days. I just need to make some projects for the portfolio. Which who knows if I'll manage that.

While the whole programming thing doesn't bring much me joy like it used to, I do want to continue. It's just that it's been six years since I got this degree. While I want to continue, the fact remains: I need a money really soon which means I need some sort of job that isn't going to stress me the hell out in the meantime.
>>
>>17739791
>27
>2.2 maths degree from 2011 and a good uni

How long would it take me learn those languages would you say?
>>
>>17739889

I guess it depends. The HTML,CSS, and JavaScript I've just been learning this year online though Treehouse. $25/month. I have a somewhat basic understanding after about 4-5 months.

As for the languages like C++ and C# I learned in college, hard to say. They were semester classes, and I took two levels each. Along with Object Oriented concepts and data structures courses. I can't really say much about all that as I haven't used them in a few years. Through all that, I have somewhat of a foundation of understanding.
>>
>>17737129
Join military as officer, go intelligence
>dudes salute you and shit
>paid decent money as O-1 right of the bat
>deferral of student loans
>post 9/11 gi bill

cons
>shitty work hours
>shitty medical care (I'm saying this as someone who works medical, but hey its free)
>deployments(but even these are comfy as fuck, i mean theres a fucking starbucks in one of the bases in middle east)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.