[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I being an asshole roommate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1462772774893.jpg (193KB, 1253x1594px) Image search: [Google]
1462772774893.jpg
193KB, 1253x1594px
So I decided to room with a pretty good acquaintance of mine this year who had hung out with a bit before and figured was a cool person

turns out he has a few annoying quirks but I'm sure I do as well so who cares, the main thing is his lack of motivation when it comes to solving personal problems

an overview:

so I'm usually pretty good at going to sleep in adverse situations so long as someone isn't actively trying to keep me awake. However, my roommate is a pretty avid league of legends player, and I used to be too so I'm not really too mad about it, but he also has a habit of skyping his friends during games even though he knows I'm trying to sleep during. This part kind of really bothers me since when I played I would always try to be quiet or just type as to not disturb my roommates. Perhaps this is my fault for expecting others to be as considerate as I am? In addition recently he's been refusing to turn the room light off during this since he would be planning to do homework afterwards (even if its 2am and he should have been doing this before marathoning league games)

Every now and then he would bend and turn it off and I'd be able to somewhat sleep with the cocaphony of clicks but last week he flat out refused. The reason? His desk lamp was flickering every few minutes. Pretty fair, and he was fairly frustrated about putting in a work order (at my suggestion admittedly) at the start of the semester and it being little more than a temporary solution. So I suggested he put in another one and bring up that they did a poor job last time.

His response?
>>
"Why? They didn't do it correctly before so why waste my time?" This process takes under 30 seconds and when I told him this "Then why don't you do it if it bothers you so much?"

I pointed out the flaw in this logic and how he was assuming that there would be a uniformly zero chance at success no matter how he informed them of the issue or their previous failure. He did not budge. He continued to play league deep into the night while I tried to sleep for a very early class I had.

The only solution I could think of short of being physical was to return the favor, so one day I got up at 5am while he was still sleeping, turned on the light, turned on my very loud fan, and played music from my laptop. He questioned why and I gave flat nonchalant answers just as he did. He was fairly annoyed but later on the day he seemed to have gotten the point I was making

Nope. Today when he was mentioning that he wanted to turn off the light to go to sleep, I obliged and turned on my desk light and he made the snarky comment "well its a good thing your desk lamp works" to which I replied that he could simply fill out a work request again since that has a better chance of solving it than nothing. He got very indignant and when I pointed out why this was silly he went "Well if it bothers you so much why don't you do it?" So, I heavily implied that I would do the same thing I did the other morning should his habits interfere with mine again he got pretty miffed about it and tried to go to sleep. Then he commented on me needing to get closed ear headphones and I bent the argument around on him suggesting that he should buy me them if they bother him that much. He called me a dick and refused to see the analogy I was making.
>>
I've been getting really shitty sleep for the last 2 weeks up until Thursday and struggling to find the reason why so the potential that it was his fuckery behind it all is making me really indiferrent to his feelings, but am I actually being an ass? I don't know how else to resolve this.
>>
Do you guys not have private rooms and you're just in a big loft type area?

That sounds terrible either way. Having a roommate always ends badly from my experience. Nothing is worse than having your sleep fucked with.
>>
>>17736428
6 people in a suite with 3 rooms, 2 each

I'm wondering if this is karma because for my first 2 years of college I was a league of legends addict and hearing the incessant clicking without playing over the last 5 months is kind of really putting it into perspective. But is there another way I can resolve this? I'm certain that, even though I don't think he's a bad person, he just doesn't grasp the concept of empathy so I literally have to make him experience similar discomfort to drive the point home
>>
I would weigh 30 seconds vs "the principle of the thing"

I would also have a frank discussion with him about time management and you both not acting like children.

He is inconsiderate and you, while better, are not great either.
>>
>>17736431
I think the principle of the thing is of the utmost value here because he frequently complains to me about girl problems that stem from the same issue of him just being unwilling to take any action he deems equal to doing nothing

If he hadn't dragged me into those conversations numerous times I would just bite the bullet, consider him a child, and just fill out the request. However, I know that when I do I'll inevitably get drawn back into the same damn conversation, tell him the same damn thing, and be met with resistance. I won't lie and say this isn't primarily for my own benefit but its also a lesson he REALLY needs to learn
>>
>>17736444

I will consider myself a child because I know I probably won't change your mind, because you should consider yourself a child, because you should know you probably won't change his mind, and he's a child... who probably won't change his mind.

But seriously, it took me a while before I figured out you can't change people - they can only change themselves. Good luck.
>>
>>17736455
I respect your view and honestly don't think it wrong but where is the line between accepting this and allowing myself to be a doormat for inconsiderate assholes?
>>
>>17736456

The line shifts based on the effort required and the problem it solves. I wouldn't start mine at 30 seconds and I don't think that makes me a doormat. Just explain you're doing this once as an example that shit can get fixed, and if he takes it the wrong way (as in, you will do all his shit for him) he is sadly mistaken.
>>
>>17736461
I think you are right but after making such a claim I feel stubborn
But I'm fairly certain you're right so I guess if he brings it up tomorrow I'll just offer to do it for him since I am a bit childish and need an excuse so I can save face. Thanks for your thoughts anon
>>
Quit being a passive aggressive asshole. It's only making things worse.

Get earplugs and a sleep mask or move out. Alternatively, you could learn to sleep with the tv on or a white noise machine to try and drown out the clicks.
>>
>>17736575
Poland in one post
>>
>>17736575
Clicks aren't even the problem, they're annoying but I can sleep with headphones on. Its him somehow speaking at a volume above the music I'm listening to while playing League thats more irritating.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.